Why do I feel so sick?

Crackle88

Hello! just wondered if anybody else feels really sickly some days? I've checked my blood glucose and it's normal (for me!) But for the last day or so, I've had this horrible nausea that I cant seem to get rid of. Other than this, I feel like my usual self but it's getting to the point where I really dont feel like eating - which isn't like me at all! Anybody else experience this? And any tips to get rid? Many thanks x P.S NOT pregnant

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
On insulin?
I gather from a previous post you might not know which type you are? Try to insist on an antibody and c-peptide test.

Yea, you can get sick like anyone else, but if you are a type on insulin you can get DKA easier usually with high BG numbers . But someone actually got sick at fairly lower numbers. Can you test ketones to make sure those are okay?

Reactions: Crackle88

Crackle88

On insulin?
I gather from a previous post you might not know which type you are? Try to insist on an antibody and c-peptide test.

Yea, you can get sick like anyone else, but if you are a type on insulin you can get DKA easier usually with high BG numbers . But someone actually got sick at fairly lower numbers. Can you test ketones to make sure those are okay?
Just started insulin today (lantus once a day stuff). I've had c-peptide and antibody test which indicate type 1 so the nurse is pretty sure it is t1 but not 100%. Going for some other test at the end of July so hopefully will know for sure I have some strips to test ketones so will give that a go. Thank you

Reactions: Freema

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
If you test in the positive range for the antibody that means type 1. The C-peptide test tells you how well you are still making insulin. As a type 1 you will still make insulin until you don't. It can take years in some people for that to happen and we call that the honeymoon phase.

Type ones get ketones or DKA because they don't make insulin or make enough insulin to lower Bg's properly. You should read up on the signs as this can end up very serious. It is something type 1's need to keep an eye out for. The level you get sick at can vary. So yes the first thing to always check when nauseas or sick is to check for ketones. If positive call your diabetic nurse. If bad go to the hospital.

Otherwise there is no reason to lose your appetite just because you are diabetic except for too high or too low BG's. That I can think of, maybe someone else has some ideas I'm not thinking of?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Also keep on hand your favorite blood sugar raising treat. You aren't as likely to need it on a slow acting insulin as a fast acting one. But I remember I had a couple of drops on a slow acting one too. Liquids seems to work fastest like OJ, hard candies take too long really, so things like ***** bears etc are easy to carry with and will work.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started insulin today (lantus once a day stuff). I've had c-peptide and antibody test which indicate type 1 so the nurse is pretty sure it is t1 but not 100%. Going for some other test at the end of July so hopefully will know for sure I have some strips to test ketones so will give that a go. Thank you

Hiya! When I first started on insulin I felt sick the first few days. I think it was just because my body was getting used to the insulin but this went within a few days :).

Crackle88

If you test in the positive range for the antibody that means type 1. The C-peptide test tells you how well you are still making insulin. As a type 1 you will still make insulin until you don't. It can take years in some people for that to happen and we call that the honeymoon phase.

Type ones get ketones or DKA because they don't make insulin or make enough insulin to lower Bg's properly. You should read up on the signs as this can end up very serious. It is something type 1's need to keep an eye out for. The level you get sick at can vary. So yes the first thing to always check when nauseas or sick is to check for ketones. If positive call your diabetic nurse. If bad go to the hospital.

Otherwise there is no reason to lose your appetite just because you are diabetic except for too high or too low BG's. That I can think of, maybe someone else has some ideas I'm not thinking of?
Thank you