1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Why do I feel so sick?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Crackle88, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

Hello! just wondered if anybody else feels really sickly some days? I've checked my blood glucose and it's normal (for me!) But for the last day or so, I've had this horrible nausea that I cant seem to get rid of. Other than this, I feel like my usual self but it's getting to the point where I really dont feel like eating - which isn't like me at all! Anybody else experience this? And any tips to get rid? Many thanks x P.S NOT pregnant

2. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

On insulin?
    I gather from a previous post you might not know which type you are? Try to insist on an antibody and c-peptide test.

Yea, you can get sick like anyone else, but if you are a type on insulin you can get DKA easier usually with high BG numbers . But someone actually got sick at fairly lower numbers. Can you test ketones to make sure those are okay?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

Just started insulin today (lantus once a day stuff). I've had c-peptide and antibody test which indicate type 1 so the nurse is pretty sure it is t1 but not 100%. Going for some other test at the end of July so hopefully will know for sure I have some strips to test ketones so will give that a go. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. Marie 2

If you test in the positive range for the antibody that means type 1. The C-peptide test tells you how well you are still making insulin. As a type 1 you will still make insulin until you don't. It can take years in some people for that to happen and we call that the honeymoon phase.

Type ones get ketones or DKA because they don't make insulin or make enough insulin to lower Bg's properly. You should read up on the signs as this can end up very serious. It is something type 1's need to keep an eye out for. The level you get sick at can vary. So yes the first thing to always check when nauseas or sick is to check for ketones. If positive call your diabetic nurse. If bad go to the hospital.

Otherwise there is no reason to lose your appetite just because you are diabetic except for too high or too low BG's. That I can think of, maybe someone else has some ideas I'm not thinking of?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Have you only started feeling sick since taking insulin?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marie 2

Also keep on hand your favorite blood sugar raising treat. You aren't as likely to need it on a slow acting insulin as a fast acting one. But I remember I had a couple of drops on a slow acting one too. Liquids seems to work fastest like OJ, hard candies take too long really, so things like gummy bears etc are easy to carry with and will work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

What are your numbers like?

8. SB.25

SB.25 Other · Well-Known Member

Hiya! When I first started on insulin I felt sick the first few days. I think it was just because my body was getting used to the insulin but this went within a few days :).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

This morning they were 7.6. After lunch they got to 13 and just now they are 4.3

• Like Like x 2
  10. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

Thank you I really hope it settles!

11. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

Felt sick all day yesterday. Took my first dose of insulin this morning and felt just as sick all day.

12. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

Thank you

13. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Virus?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Crackle88

Crackle88 · Member

I really hope not!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook