Made to feel so small

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Need to vent a min. Out of for a meal for Father’s Day and I go to take my bloods. Mum says do you want to do that in the toilet in case someone doesn’t like needles. There is no one sat near us at all!!!! Makes me so mad! So I refused to do them which I no is bad but I’m not resorting to hiding either!!!

Reactions: dmckatana

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Ask her if she'd like to go to the loo to take her meds?

You will be puncturing your skin - in a loo - full of other peoples' bug and germs. Lovely. Like an open invitation for all those bacteria to come and move in!!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
Sending a hug your way. I was treated the same by other school pupils back in secondary school, they said I was disgusting for taking my insulin in front of them. But I didn't care because my health comes first, it's a similar thing to breastfeeding - no need to hide it.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
My sister once gave me a filthy look - in my own home - for injecting. I told her if she didn't like it she could either look away or leave, I didn't care either way.....

She's never done that again.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Irritating isn't it..... I don't care, I do them at the table. People don't have to watch if they don't want to. I do not make it obvious either, but it's got to be done. People need to get a grip.

Reactions: ert and MissMJ73

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just "front it."

You're not committing a criminal offence...

I got caught testing by a colleague a few years back. "AIDS test?" He commented. "Yeah." I replied.. "But don't worry, you're not my type.." ;)

But then I've also been on dates in the past where there is just a little too much dark interest in what I'm doing.. Start the car?! o_O

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I agree with what the other's have said, but so sorry you went through that, it wasn't nice at all !

Reactions: MissMJ73

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Need to vent a min. Out of for a meal for Father’s Day and I go to take my bloods. Mum says do you want to do that in the toilet in case someone doesn’t like needles. There is no one sat near us at all!!!! Makes me so mad! So I refused to do them which I no is bad but I’m not resorting to hiding either!!!

Hi MissMJ73, I don't know if you're newly diagnosed but there are plenty of daft people about, I know it hurts more when it's your Mum though (who should know better). Try not too take it too personally because just not doing it at all is practically self harming as you know! Did you speak with your Mum about it? x

D

Deleted Account

@MissMJ73 that experience sounds awful.
If it happened to me, I would speak to my parents later and explain why they made me feel bad. They may not realise how hurtful their ignorance is.
I would try to keep cool and not get too emotional.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It's probably been more painful because it's your mum and if anyone should have our back it should be our mum, take her to one side as Helen has said and have a chat, she more than likely said this without thinking, she should know better but you need to explain why it matters so much to you. Testing can be discrete like injections and done under the table, I used to do injections before the pump, and could do them under the table whilst talking to the person next to me and they never realised what I was doing. I too have been caught out by insensitive comments but the best way to handle them is to let them go, we cannot let anything undermine our ability to manage our condition so building a thick skin is essential, don't let it dampen your spirit though.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Parents eh? It sounds like your mum was thinking about herself here not about you. A chat needs to be had.
Hope your numbers are ok now.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi MissMJ73, I don't know if you're newly diagnosed but there are plenty of daft people about, I know it hurts more when it's your Mum though (who should know better). Try not too take it too personally because just not doing it at all is practically self harming as you know! Did you speak with your Mum about it? x

I’ve been diagnosed since 2010 as T2 but changed to T1 in 2017 after a DKA episode and time in hospital. I thought she’d be used to it by now but no such luck :(

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's probably been more painful because it's your mum and if anyone should have our back it should be our mum, take her to one side as Helen has said and have a chat, she more than likely said this without thinking, she should know better but you need to explain why it matters so much to you. Testing can be discrete like injections and done under the table, I used to do injections before the pump, and could do them under the table whilst talking to the person next to me and they never realised what I was doing. I too have been caught out by insensitive comments but the best way to handle them is to let them go, we cannot let anything undermine our ability to manage our condition so building a thick skin is essential, don't let it dampen your spirit though.

I’ve tried so many times to explain to her but she either doesn’t get it or forgets or both. I always do the injection discretely too as she knows as sometimes she’s like have you done it and not even noticed.

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Parents eh? It sounds like your mum was thinking about herself here not about you. A chat needs to be had.
Hope your numbers are ok now.

Yes they are thanks. I tested when we got back and injected then.

Reactions: Diakat

MissMJ73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all. It’s not the first time she’s done it as at Christmas said can you go to your room to do that as we had a guest. I was sat in the hall and guest in the lounge. I’d finished anyway so said no need.

I know I shouldn’t let it get to me but sometimes it does and I can’t understand why sometimes she’s ok with it and others like today she does that!

Thank you for your support and kind words. Much appreciated.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Public toilets, yuk. I don't know about ladies but I notice around 50% of men don't wash their hands - nasty, they need automatic doors. The point is your meant to use that sort of facility to do something that requires a minimal risk environment.

It must be an East End thing, I would have done what needed doing.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You sound like you are very responsible with your testing and injections and that deserves the upmost praise.
Sometimes in a restaurant situation i ask if there is a quiet space where i can resr and inject ( but not the toilet)!
That is more where things are busy and thus as an added precaution so i would not be jostled or where i was concerned about not only stabbing myself but also not sticking someone else by accident but as you say things were not crowded.
Your mother sounds like she is not comfortable about diabetes in general and you having it.
You may have to accept that is rhe way she is and try to make sure your Dad is on side with whatever influence he can bring to bear on the situation.
Most importantly you are doing your upmost to look after yourself particularly after having somehing as nasty as DKA.
Be proud of what you are achieving and try not to compromise your health for others' sake.
Best Wishes and please keep posting

Reactions: MissMJ73 and WuTwo

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve tried so many times to explain to her but she either doesn’t get it or forgets or both. I always do the injection discretely too as she knows as sometimes she’s like have you done it and not even noticed.

I was wondering if tagging your mum along to one of your appointments to see your dsn or consultant. Not to lecture her but to give her more information and the importance of the timing of the injection etc.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have a feeling it's bothering your mom. Injections do bother some people so I try to be discreet about it. My husband and family could care less but I have a close girlfriend of many years that almost faints when she sees a needle or if you even mention blood.

So it might bother your mom or she thinks it might bother other people? You probably need to have a nice talk to her about it and that it bothered you when she said it. But don't penalize yourself, that doesn't win any battle!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I wonder if your mother’s unconfident about what other people will think of her family? She might also have been influenced by all the reports of people whose conditions haven’t been taken into consideration in public, forgetting that her own daughter needs consideration too. It’s as if she’s worried about the potential reaction of a phobic and the impression her family make - are they polite - why’s one of them self harming in public.
Like the others say, don’t take it to heart, even though it’s hurtful it’s hopefully something that can get better if you sit down and have a a talk with her.