What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@trick60 fantastic news on Mrs T and the job. @HarrisonK great fbg and good news on the time compression for gardening. @DJC3 glad to read you had better sleep and lower fbg. @PenguinMum fbg looks good, enjoy the meet up and foot care. @Shas3 sorry to hear that work stress affects sleep but maybe the waking and exercise will help both that and bg control. @Viv19 so sorry to hear of back issues - very hard to deal with those. @dunelm - Thundercats? just remember the mystic Sword of Omens cannot be used for evil deeds! Have a good day folks.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. I’m with @HarrisonK a 5.5 and got loads done yesterday. Storm on the way today in the south so hold on to your hats. Having coffee with old friends later and this aft visit to my footcare lady to have my nails trimmed and feet moisturised. My little indulgence every 6 weeks.
Interesting convo about puppy training makes sense. I have trained my cats to some extent. When I give them their tuna I say “time for lunch” so they both come at the same time to eat so one doesnt snaffle both bowls. They sleep in the utility room at night so again I say “time for bed” in that special tone and they both head towards their night baskets straight away.
@Shas3 sounds like you are getting back on track, @gennepher also.
@DJC3 I know artichokes are good for you but does anyone actually like them?
Have a good day everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

Great fbg today PM. I must do more housework - I’m sure it’s as good as a workout.
Re Jerusalem artichokes - no I don’t eat them, far too windy - it was just a jokey response to The previous post about wind ( relating to Dennis, not me, I’m far too refined!!)
Your day ahead sounds lovely, a bit of pampering and catching up with friends - bound to be good for your bg levels too.

Reactions: Viv19 and gennepher

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a fairly dry and hopeful morning at Camp Banana. We are off home today at some point; it’s bin day tomorrow and we must not miss that at all costs. Choices are limited in these hard times but every morsel of use from the meagre choices still available must be squeezed from the local authority which is why I check books out of the library that I have no intention of reading. You know the ones; Haynes Manual Of Minor Surgury, Seppuku For Beginners and the obligatory Mills & Boon.

The wonder wheel of BMI related tom foolery and dietary slip ups registered a limbo dancing 5.9 this morning. Must, no, did overdo the meat intake with a fabulous full English at noon at Olivers Mount and then the teppanyaki last night. Or was it all those julienned vegetables - we may never know.

Have a great day if you can, time for my morning koffy.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our youngest has identical twin girls, now aged 2. We call them Chaos and Mayhem. Let’s just say that it has been and continues to be an interesting journey for them, not least as the twins have a four year old sister also.
Mrs Miggins is a twin but I think that her and her sister are allegedly fully trained.

I remember you saying before that there were a lot of twins in your family. Exhausting but wonderful I imagine. I loved the tales of Chaos and Mayhem from your recent holiday.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Beans on toast for tea is lovely, just not at breakfast. Even the smell at breakfast is off-putting, whereas the smell of bacon - that’s a different matter!
Call me strange but I liked beans cold...when I was pregnant I used to eat a small tin with a teaspoon as a snack. Of course they are now off the menu.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Call me strange but I liked beans cold...when I was pregnant I used to eat a small tin with a teaspoon as a snack. Of course they are now off the menu.

My brother also used to eat cold baked beans out of a tin. On the anniversary of his death I always buy a few tins of his favourite brand and donate them to a food bank in his honour.
My weirdest pregnancy craving was the bones out of tins of salmon - I used to buy loads of it and just eat the crumbly bones - Mr C got heartily sick of salmon sandwiches and salads as I tried to use up the meaty bit.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - 2nd try at posting. I started with the usual dog walk at 7.45am. Left home at 9am to drive to the outskirts of our closest City where I taught my morning classes then managed to just miss the bus to the city centre for a hair appt. I didn't want to take the car into the city centre so I had to dash at breakneck speed to get to my appt. After the appt. I had a wonderful time walking round the shops and then back to teach my classes at 6pm. Another 1.4 mile dash - but downhill this time.
Taught classes until 9pm and as the hall is huge I walked quite a lot of steps. It was so lovely to sit down in the car and drive home. I could hardly believe that I had walked the 18K steps as I wouldn't normally walk quite that far.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 - 2nd try at posting. I started with the usual dog walk at 7.45am. Left home at 9am to drive to the outskirts of our closest City where I taught my morning classes then managed to just miss the bus to the city centre for a hair appt. I didn't want to take the car into the city centre so I had to dash at breakneck speed to get to my appt. After the appt. I had a wonderful time walking round the shops and then back to teach my classes at 6pm. Another 1.4 mile dash - but downhill this time.
Taught classes until 9pm and as the hall is huge I walked quite a lot of steps. It was so lovely to sit down in the car and drive home. I could hardly believe that I had walked the 18K steps as I wouldn't normally walk quite that far.

That’s a great result, and better really than if you’d thought just about your step count - then it becomes a chore. Being busy is the best way.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An interesting experiment but do remember that this was conducted with mice hence only at the “interesting” stage.

Bear in mind that mice vary from humans by only 2%+ in DNA, hence why we use them for precursor work. Differences in digestion, absorption, and stem cell utilisation is nominal, so it's still exciting research. On a broad level we, here, already know the benefits of IF and fasting, but I hope that being able to drill down through the evidence to a cellular level will be a game changer for general medicine. We'll see, I guess.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen, whew what a morning it has been, Me and me's have been on the road since 8:05 am. Motorbike stuff, still now home and able to start the days tasks.

A gentle 7.1 for me this morning, the reading wisely kept it's head down, otherwise it would have been stuffed in the bike top box.

Well folks it's 11:45am and I'm just starting my 10:30 cup of tea. The cup of tea is the constant, the time is the variable. Physics is only just beginning to realise that time is a variable irrespective of whatever reality you inhabit. Discuss amongst yourselves, just leave me and me's out of it.
I was asked a question by @jjraak . Yes I am married hence the constant references to Mrs J. This September we will have been married for 41 years if and only if Mrs J hasn't killed me before.
Have a good day folks.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I like them cold too. My favorite baked beans were those made by a friend of my parents' -- she added honey and bacon.

Among my former favorite breakfasts -- cold baked beans, cold pizza, cold dressing the morning after Thanksgiving ...

Alas, as you say, now off the menu.

FBG 6.2 this morning.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All. I’m with @HarrisonK a 5.5 and got loads done yesterday. Storm on the way today in the south so hold on to your hats. Having coffee with old friends later and this aft visit to my footcare lady to have my nails trimmed and feet moisturised. My little indulgence every 6 weeks.
Interesting convo about puppy training makes sense. I have trained my cats to some extent. When I give them their tuna I say “time for lunch” so they both come at the same time to eat so one doesnt snaffle both bowls. They sleep in the utility room at night so again I say “time for bed” in that special tone and they both head towards their night baskets straight away.

The KittenCat and I have each other trained to some extent. She now lets me clip her claws without protest because she knows she will get a treat after each paw is done. And I have learned to differentiate among the different lengths and emphases of her meows. One normal meow means "I want ..." One longer meow means "I need ... " and one short, sharp bark-meow means "Now!"

We sleep together, BTW, she taking up most of the room in a queen-sized bed.

Viv19

You are right - it is an awful condition. It is such a shame that your sister in law didn't seek help earlier. Did she have neuropathy prior to the charcot foot diagnosis?

She didn’t mention it. Even when she had her feet literally falling apart she still walked the dog. She didn’t want to acknowledge that there was a serious problem. Up to the op she was playing golf. We think a contributing cause might have been the heeled narrow shoes she wore her whole working life.

Reactions: gennepher

Viv19

We stayed in a gîte in Briitany for 2 weeks at the time of No 3 daughter’s 3rd birthday. After a couple of days we came back to find a whole box of artichokes on the doorstep, kind gift of the landlord. They were not on my usual menu but I worked it out, and we ate them with butter and vinaigrette, with or without garlic. Small daughter was smitten, couldn’t have enough of them. She’d sit there stripping the flesh from the leaves with her little sharp teeth like a pro. Her sisters were also keen but she was the winner. Just as well as the next week he left a 2nd box.