Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Aw @SueJB - sending a big welsh cwtch your way. I’d second what the others said; correct conservatively and when you’re stable pop one or two dextrose tabs to see exactly how much they raise you by. Then you can dose for a low in much the same way as you dose for a high. And keep the treats for when you’re compus mentos enough to really enjoy them and inject the right amount for them. Unfortunately bodies don’t work in straight lines :(

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could I ask if anyone felt a bit funky when they started taking Fiasp? For the last few days I’ve felt more tired than usual, my heart is racing from time to time and extreme headaches that are on and off. It’s definitely not a hypo.
I left a message for my dsn and I don’t know if my GP will brush me off if I were to see him or her tomorrow.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Afternoon @SueJB
Well done on deciding to be positive - as much as Evil D will try to fight back, if you decide you are gong to be positive, it will have to push harder.
Regarding your BG yoyo, in your position, I would conservatively correct (aim around 7).
If I hypo, I always treat with fast acting glucose (lucozade, jelly babies, dextrose, ...) and leave the super lush biscuits to a time when I can really enjoy them.
Do you know how much each dextrose, jelly baby, ... raises your BG? It is useful to do an experiment to work it out and avoid over treating hypos. I found the generic advice was waaaaay too much for me.

Enjoy the rest of your M&S biccies with a nice cuppa tea or coffee.
Thanks @helensaramay 1 fruit pastille makes Madam rise by 1.5 but I just thought "sod it" I'll go lush and steal one of Mr B's biscuits, actually I stole 2!! Peaked at 16.6 so stuck in some Novo and should get down to 7. It's the yoyo that's a head shaker

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@WuTwo Thank you! I guess you are like my bf, he doesn’t like chocolate that is sweet so he enjoys dark chocolate. I’m a bit of a sweet tooth
@SueJB Sending you hugs! You could try the dextrose tabs and make a note how many 2-3 tabs raise you by, or see how many levels 10g of fast acting carbs raise you by. I did something similar three nights ago, but I’ve tamed it since. I hope you feel better soon
Thanks @MeiChanski I know that Glucotabs don't do the rise as quickly as fruit pastilles and don't raise it as much.
I gluco =.5mmol rise
1 fruit pastille1.5mmol
As I said to @helensaramay I wasn't just treating the hypo but being a piglet too

Reactions: Knikki and hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @MeiChanski I know that Glucotabs don't do the rise as quickly as fruit pastilles and don't raise it as much.
I gluco =.5mmol rise
1 fruit pastille1.5mmol
As I said to @helensaramay I wasn't just treating the hypo but being a piglet too

You could try small cartons of orange juice (no bits) or 200-250ml of coke, if tabs are a bit slow. I know hypos sometimes makes me look like I haven’t eaten anything for about a week and stuff my face without regrets. I do like fruit pastilles, not the lemon and lime ones.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Aw @SueJB - sending a big welsh cwtch your way. I’d second what the others said; correct conservatively and when you’re stable pop one or two dextrose tabs to see exactly how much they raise you by. Then you can dose for a low in much the same way as you dose for a high. And keep the treats for when you’re compus mentos enough to really enjoy them and inject the right amount for them. Unfortunately bodies don’t work in straight lines :(
@Mel dCP had to Google "cwtch" and it said it was a hut so if your sending me one, I hope I'm in to sign for it when it arrives. I should stick with the tabs and the pastilles rather than giving myself a treat. It is after all a demon condition

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I sense a challenge to find weird pancreatic themed merchandise...?
I couldn't find that teeshirt i mentioned earlier..

But i did when i raided the hard drive... :)

374523_497133066975650_99004872_n.jpg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s hard not to be a piglet when your brain is in panic mode. That’s one big difference (trying hard not to sound too evangelical) I’ve found with my keto diet - while I still get the physical symptoms of low blood sugar, my brain can think clearly through it and not panic, because it’s not low on fuel as it’s running on ketones instead of glucose. Makes it much easier to treat calmly and clinically.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning and wishing you a Diabetes-Gangnam style day. it's a sunny start to the day too.
Awoke on a nice 6.5, after a 2.4 hypo last night, daughter spotted it, took charge and her boyfriend was there and he hadn't seen me with a hypo before, so was asking questions and was really interested. Daughter tested bf's blood and he was fantastic 4.5, he kept saying is it going to hurt and was quite nervous ( this is someone who wants a pilot's licence and is often high above the clouds, he loves Spitfires too) only 22 years old.
Getting ready for work, so have a great Monday folks :)

Ohhh my hope urvok.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
In other words, these hypos as just an excuse to steal Mr B's treats :)
Seriously though, biscuits are not a good hypo treatment because the fat in them slows the glucose absorption.

Glad your BG is now on its way down and you can steal another biscuit with some insulin to confirm their impact ... for scientific purposes, obviously.
I know my sane self says do the tabs or the pastilles but my devil on the other shoulder says M&S. I know they're not appropriate but I'm sure there are guys here who eat Oreos

Reactions: Kim Possible

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP had to Google "cwtch" and it said it was a hut so if your sending me one, I hope I'm in to sign for it when it arrives. I should stick with the tabs and the pastilles rather than giving myself a treat. It is after all a demon condition
It’s a hug+++, not a hut!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
You could try small cartons of orange juice (no bits) or 200-250ml of coke, if tabs are a bit slow. I know hypos sometimes makes me look like I haven’t eaten anything for about a week and stuff my face without regrets. I do like fruit pastilles, not the lemon and lime ones.
Don't like orange juice and I now only by packets of the raspberry and blackcurrant pastilles............... well they're red and black!!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't like orange juice and I now only by packets of the raspberry and blackcurrant pastilles............... well they're red and black!!

Now you are giving me ideas for a cheeky shop tonight.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys. Saw my gp yesterday as a general follow up from my discharge few days ago. He was concerned about how I’m type 1 diagnosed at 41 when he said should been much younger. So he’s sending me for X-ray on my Pancras to see how well it’s functioning. He reckons my pneumonia I had might caused my Pancras to slow down. So not sure if I’m needing insulin or not. Will let u know once X-ray date is set.

Reactions: Knikki