Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Wutwo, could I ask what brand of cranberry juice you've been drinking? I know cranberries are very sharp without a good amount of sugar. Or have you been blending cranberries without telling us? :hilarious:

Non-sweetened is best. I tried the Asda stuff but even their unsweetened tastes very sweet to me, and cranberries aren't naturally a sweet fruit. I ended up with Sainsbury's which at least isn't sweet. If I could buy loads of fresh cranberries I totally would blend my own!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Non-sweetened is best. I tried the Asda stuff but even their unsweetened tastes very sweet to me, and cranberries aren't naturally a sweet fruit. I ended up with Sainsbury's which at least isn't sweet. If I could buy loads of fresh cranberries I totally would blend my own!
Cranberry juice has been a bit hit or miss tbh, I do enjoy the sharpness with a hint of sweetness. Oo, I'd blend my own too for juice and cranberry sauce.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Well purely for @MeiChanski (and for no other reason whatsoever :rolleyes:) I just ate one of the rocky roads and one of the tiffin bites. They are tiny - think about 2 cm sq, so that's not as much food as it sounds like.

Very nice, but I won't get 'em again. I make better small cakes than that, and mine involve fresh fruit! But always good to try new things, and it make husband happy to think he is spoiling me.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all.
Welcome @Icarter and may the hypos hit the horizon.
Hugs, cats, coffee, swift Miao Miao charging, cherry tomato reformatory, retreat of the nasties (one doc I saw recommended smearing affected areas with live yoghurt for problems all and sundry ‘down there - I reckon he had shares in washing powder and undies firms ) to all who need them. Choose as required.
Woke higher than desired at 8.9 after a night of correcting and it took an age to get down, I blame lack of sleep because of the beautiful drama of thunder and lightening and the last half centimetre of the Fiasp cartridge. Raged it with a new one, and now happily munching choc Nairns to bring it up again. Happy.
@WuTwo I’ve just downloaded lots of semi tan recipes - where do you get your gluten and your yeast?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Semi tan? Bad application of tanning spray? Seitan!!!!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@WuTwo I’ve just downloaded lots of semi tan recipes - where do you get your gluten and your yeast?

Supermarkets sell nutritional yeast (called Engevita in the UK) but I get my gluten from Amazon. Sometimes I buy the nooch from Amazon too in a multipack. Someone is usually selling stuff prime and that makes life cheaper. Search on vital wheat gluten.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Supermarkets sell nutritional yeast (called Engevita in the UK) but I get my gluten from Amazon. Sometimes I buy the nooch from Amazon too in a multipack. Someone is usually selling stuff prime and that makes life cheaper. Search on vital wheat gluten.

Thank you, I will.
I’m going to look in a couple of food shops in town tomorrow, now that Hamish can walk further without moaning and see what’s there. I’m a little late to the vegan food party but it makes lots of sense, for many reasons. My brother-in-law breeds Herefords, my sister’s vegetarian, and I find it difficult to get my head around her pride in the calves they raise knowing that all the boys not ‘fit’ for breeding will end up on a plate. They even name them all

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Thank you, I will.
I’m going to look in a couple of food shops in town tomorrow, now that Hamish can walk further without moaning and see what’s there. I’m a little late to the vegan food party but it makes lots of sense, for many reasons. My brother-in-law breeds Herefords, my sister’s vegetarian, and I find it difficult to get my head around her pride in the calves they raise knowing that all the boys not ‘fit’ for breeding will end up on a plate. They even name them all

Better late than never. Go to the Vegan Society website - lots of nutritional advice for transitioning vegans, lots of support. Don't feel you need to switch overnight - you can ease into it. I was an overnighter but it was a bit of a cultural shock.

This guy does a really, really good job of explaining about the cultural and traditional importance of meat and meat products in a standard western diet, and how to overcome them.

There are a lot of documentaries on YouTube that would break your heart into tiny pieces and stomp on them when it comes to farm animals, so go carefully.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That is a gorgeous garden! Do you get many bees? *hopeful* - I am very, very fond of bees.
Lots of bees, butterflies and a huge range of birds. It takes a lot of effort to keep it controlled wild, thanks for the compliment @WuTwo
IMG_2831.JPG

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I’ve already downloaded the recipes you posted. Yay.
Having a bit of a question/comment time watching the lovely guy’s talk:
Would chickens, and various other animals, survive in freedom, since we’ve selected lay bred them over a few thousand years to remove easy flight and movement, and maybe reducing population size is a necessary step towards restoring a more balanced food chain. After all, in the Neolithic human hunter gatherer numbers were tiddly compared to the billions of us there are today.
Emotionally however, I’m moved to begin making vegan and veggie choices.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Fairygodmother - nope they wouldn't survive. But looking at their truly dreadful existences (you can't call what they go through a life) - and even more appalling deaths - would you want them to?

Did you know male chicks are usually suffocated or macerated (ground up alive) as soon as hatched? They're useless - we want the eggs out of the females..... If people didn't buy eggs, it wouldn't happen.

Maybe reducing the population is a good theory but in practice do you see it happening? Buy one, and some farmer will instantly send several to slaughter, and breed more to take their place.

Not gonna start on pigs, cows and sheep. On the big complexes their lives are heartbreaking and their deaths worse.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@SueJB - I don't know how you manage a garden and a job either, but I'm so glad you do! I love poppies! The Shih-Tzu we had before Tutti was called Poppy and she was the most wonderful person. I loved her to bits, admired her and thought she was one of the bravest people I've ever met.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Fairygodmother - nope they wouldn't survive. But looking at their truly dreadful existences (you can't call what they go through a life) - and even more appalling deaths - would you want them to?

Did you know male chicks are usually suffocated or macerated (ground up alive) as soon as hatched? They're useless - we want the eggs out of the females..... If people didn't buy eggs, it wouldn't happen.

Maybe reducing the population is a good theory but in practice do you see it happening? Buy one, and some farmer will instantly send several to slaughter, and breed more to take their place.

Not gonna start on pigs, cows and sheep. On the big complexes their lives are heartbreaking and their deaths worse.

Yes, factory farming’s awful.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

When my m-i-l was 86 she had a shoulder replacement. They did it in the morning, showed my father in law (in his 90's) how to do the daily jab she'd need, and discharged her in the afternoon ..... He could never have managed alone; thank heavens we live nearby and their neighbour is a nurse!

Reactions: kitedoc

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There was a similar discussion about the KFC imposter burger and Mcdonalds vegan options - some vegans felt reluctant to support those fast food chains because animals are still being killed and buying their vegan options isn't stopping it.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@MeiChanski- I see where they're coming from, but tbh I'd rather a veganburger was bought than a meat burger, and choosing vegan might make people think, and is one less meatburger sold. Water dripping on stone erodes it in the end ......

Reactions: SueJB

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski- I see where they're coming from, but tbh I'd rather a veganburger was bought than a meat burger, and choosing vegan might make people think, and is one less meatburger sold. Water dripping on stone erodes it in the end ......
Yes, I feel if people bought more vegan burgers, meat burger sales will drop and maybe they will come out with more options.