Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Mel dCP - not totally sure the dogs would love it as much as I would ..... but it's a very kind offer!

Reactions: LooperCat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nope hereford you'd love it. Meat lovers dream..... :D

Not always a meat lovers dream - I’d like a pet brown cow with creamy horns and a big pink snout so I can brush it’s hair and boop it’s snoot. It’ll live in my garage

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
To be honest, I fell in love with Esther! But although pigs are more intelligent than dogs, and can be housetrained, it's not easy (I'm used to that - I have shih-tzu and Dizzy was an absolute trial to house train). And again, I don't think the mutts would take kindly to a hefty addition nicking the sofa!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Not always a meat lovers dream - I’d like a pet brown cow with creamy horns and a big pink snout so I can brush it’s hair and boop it’s snoot. It’ll live in my garage

And you and @Antje77 could grow roses to use the poo! Lots of mucking out every day. You’d need a halter so it could have walks in the fresh air.

Reactions: Antje77

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I'm going to make a bigger bed for the dogs and me and about 5 of those!

I totally agree!

Except, when they're all grown up they have pointy long horns...

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There has been an update to the Freestyle Libre app. I received the email today, details below. So for those that use the Libre it may be useful

mail
IMPORTANT UPDATE
mail

IT’S TIME TO UPDATE YOUR
FREESTYLE LIBRELINK APP!
At Abbott, we’re always one step ahead, continually working to advance glucose monitoring. We enhanced our technology to allow the FreeStyle Libre system to achieve its best accuracy yet.

• Even better first day accuracy – Sensor readings closer to blood glucose1
• Even better overall accuracy for the entire wear period2
• ‘Anytime join feature’ - start using the app, and scan the sensor with your phone at any point in time

Note:
If you use both the reader and the app with the same FreeStyle Libre sensor, start the sensor with the reader first.3

Download the latest version of the FreeStyle Libre app today4:

Don’t forget to also update your reader!5

If you also use the FreeStyle Libre reader, click here and get the same results with even better accuracy on both the FreeStyle Libre reader and the FreeStyle LibreLink app.3,6
mail

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

What system requirements are needed to download FreeStyle LibreLink app?
For Android you will need:
Operating system: Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or higher and near-Field Communication (NFC) For iOS you will need:
iPhone models: iPhone 7 or higher
Operating system: OS 11 or higher

For any additional questions, please click here for further FAQs.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MIL went on the hip replacement waiting list in 2017. In early 2018, she had a blood clot and the surgeon wouldn't operate for 12 months. Finally, she got a date for her operation - 17th June. Then it was moved to today. Everyone was geared up for this to happen; she had her bags packed, himself had booked time off work to spend with her, ... Yesterday, the operation was cancelled. The poor woman can barely walk and she doesn't drive so she is pretty much housebound or dependent on others who can drive her around and she has absolutely no idea when she will have her operation.
With my diabetes treatment, I will defend the NHS. My mother's recent cancer treatment has been fantastic. But sometimes, I despair with the NHS.

Helen, unless your MiL was the reason her op was cancelled (like when she had her clot), there are conditions they now must meet. She may end up in her local private hospital at relatively short notice.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Helen, unless your MiL was the reason her op was cancelled (like when she had her clot), there are conditions they now must meet. She may end up in her local private hospital at relatively short notice.

She might also have the op earlier, providing her cardio vascular system’s ok, if she asks to be put on the cancellation list.
It’s caused enough distress already, to her and your boyfriend too.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing to be proud of.

But i just got a French speeding notice in the post.. (From my recent camping jaunt round France.)
Which is a bit odd as mostly due to UK habit I was doing 70mph in an 81mph toll road?

All the years I've traveled around Europe, this is a new one.. The penalty?
Thinking back I may have transgressed a "variable." (By about 9mph.)

I thought it was quite generous... €45 with 46 days to pay it off. Then it goes up in increments if I don't.

& the licence endorsment???!

..... Pas de points.

Reactions: WuTwo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nothing to be proud of.

But i just got a French speeding notice in the post.. (From my recent camping jaunt round France.)
Which is a bit odd as mostly due to UK habit I was doing 70mph in an 81mph toll road?

All the years I've traveled around Europe, this is a new one.. The penalty?
Thinking back I may have transgressed a "variable." (By about 9mph.)

I thought it was quite generous... €45 with 46 days to pay it off. Then it goes up in increments if I don't.

& the licence endorsment???!

..... Pas de points.

More forgiving than the U.K. did they offer you a speed awareness experience?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hah. Beaten this Japes-flu and the week of almost constant highs into submission. Had my usual lunch, didn't quite double my insulin, as I've been doing all through the sick days, had a small snack just before setting off to walk back via the supermarket and was a 3.8 just as I'd finished the weekly shop on the way home. Good excuse to get the bus back up the hill!

So, return to usual evening meal ratio, for a regular "need to eat now!" meal, with lots of gentle chores based pottering around afterward, and the result for 4 hours later is perfect!

@Jaylee I sympathise if it's a "variable" - I don't drive as much as I used to and watching out for those is still not something I'm automatically good at yet.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again, I had a “nap” once again with my bg riding between 7.1-8.2 most of the afternoon. It crashed to 3.8 which I’m puzzled about and of course I didn’t feel the symptoms. Bg today had very minimal spikes, crashing to 3.8 in my books is not too bad. I have leftover chick peas for tomorrow, good night friends :)

Last edited:

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
What a relief! I just read an article about the ideal HbA1C for T1 diabetics and 6.5 is associated with the lowest all cause mortality rates. Between 6 and 6.5 is ok but less than 5.7 has the same mortality rates as greater than 7. I feel as though I can relax a bit! ( which will probably paradoxically lower my HBA1C and I’ll die anyway). Food for thought (and from now on for pleasure). Cheers. Leeanne

Reactions: hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What a relief! I just read an article about the ideal HbA1C for T1 diabetics and 6.5 is associated with the lowest all cause mortality rates. Between 6 and 6.5 is ok but less than 5.7 has the same mortality rates as greater than 7. I feel as though I can relax a bit! ( which will probably paradoxically lower my HBA1C and I’ll die anyway). Food for thought (and from now on for pleasure). Cheers. Leeanne

In what way? Because there are very well controlled type 1s with hba1c of 3.9 and there are some who have good hba1c but the control is very yoyo like.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like @Japes I think I may have beaten the highs into submission.
I am not sure if the cough subsiding, the cold becoming less snotty or the Fiasp replacement have helped most but this is the latest I've been out for more than a week. And my train is still more than an hour from home... and running sloooow.
I hope those nearer home have sweet dreams.

I hope you got home safely!

Reactions: Kim Possible

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
In what way? Because there are very well controlled type 1s with hba1c of 3.9 and there are some who have good hba1c but the control is very yoyo like.

Yes @MeiChanski, you are right. There are lots of other factors which affect morbidity rates in T1D, such as age at diagnosis, co-existing illnesses, time in range, age, weight, overall fitness and episodes of severe hypo and hyperglycaemia
But I don’t care. I just want to cling onto the 6.5 bit of rare good news. Cheers.

Reactions: Antje77