Bunless burgers

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bread, Potatoes, anything Carby
Can you actually ask for these in places ?

D

Deleted Account

Yes. They often call then “Naked burgers”.
I request them most of the time.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have in Burger King. It was a bit of a let down but I didn’t have much of a choice at the time. So it was the burger and filling. No bun and no fries and no fork. :D

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
McD's are quite happy - in the UK - to provide bunless burgers, you can even customise an order on the self-order screens to exclude a bun. I have also found Burger King quite amenable to providing the burger without a bun. Sometimes it's just easier, though, to get it in the bun and not eat the bun as the relish / salad will at least be kept in place. I have McD's Egg Muffin for breakfast but skip eating the bun, although it comes with it - it just serves as a handy "holder" for the egg!!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve just eaten this a loaded burger no bun but extra salad at a holiday destination pool bar. I just said I can’t eat bread so can I have extra salad instead. Served in a box with plastic cutlery. No one batted an eye lid when I asked :)

3C2A45A0-6F94-453E-996A-A8408292454E.jpeg

Reactions: SueJB and CondorX

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience most restaurants are happy to omit anything the customer asks to be left out. I must admit though that most of the time I order the normal meal and just ignore whatever is on the plate i can not cope with carb wise. Buns are not as much of a temptation though as potato chips.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the poster is type 1 though so I'm guessing that is who Madmaureen is talking to. x
The poster has not put their Type in the details under the avatar, so seemed it could be either.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Five Guys lead the way in bunless burgers in my opinion. Ask for one and you’ll be asked whether you’d like a lettuce wrap or a bowl, and given cutlery to eat it with. Pretty delicious.

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How do I add my location and details , I've tried through my profile but cant fond the option

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do I add my location and details , I've tried through my profile but cant fond the option

Click on your profile / avatar on the top menu and scroll down your personal settings to Diabetes Type, medication etc.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Diabetictiger, to make thse changes, you really need to be using your browser, as opposed to the App. Once logged in, via your browser (it works on phones and tablets too), hover your curser over your name in the top right hnd side, then choose from the menu. Most of wha t you want is under Personal Details. Just remember to save your changes, once you've made them.

Diabeticger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sound, condor , was driving me mad
Click on your profile / avatar on the top menu and scroll down your personal settings to Diabetes Type, medication etc.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you actually ask for these in places ?
Yes. Five Guys actually does a burger wrapped in lettuce, and if you want a lot of extra's (mushrooms, bacon etc), they can just put it in a tray. Ooh, what a meal that was! Never had any problems at Burger king or McD's either, I just usually have to go back and ask for cutlery. ;) And the same goes for non-fastfood restaurants too... They'd rather you ask them to leave something out than to throw away perfectly good food.

D

Deleted Account

Why no bun?
Just bolus for it for once!!
I can't speak for the op but there are more reasons for requesting to go bunless than reducing insulin.

As I don't eat meat, I have veggie burgers. This are often carb based. I find carbs (veggie burger) , inside carbs (bun) with carbs on the side (chips) a tad too carby. And chips are better than bun.
It's nothing to do with diabetes or insulin. It's just personal preference for not wasting food.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Usually a burger here in Australia is wrapped in lettuce. They are good, bit messy at times, but who cares?

Reactions: Serena51

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Burger King say " Have it your way" so refusing a bun and asking for extra salad should be ok

Reactions: Caeseji

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve done the bunless thing in McDonald’s! 5 guys and some posh burger chain whose name I forget. Each time I asked for extra salad etc. Each time seriously disappointed and deterred from doing it again a small sad meat patty and some limp lettuce was not a meal. Tbf even with the bun it wouldn’t have been much better just a little more substantial and easier to hold on to.