1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Bunless burgers

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Diabeticger, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Diabeticger

Diabeticger Type 1 · Active Member

Can you actually ask for these in places ?

2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

Yes. They often call then “Naked burgers”.
    I request them most of the time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have in Burger King. It was a bit of a let down but I didn’t have much of a choice at the time. So it was the burger and filling. No bun and no fries and no fork. :D

4. CondorX

CondorX Type 2 · Well-Known Member

McD's are quite happy - in the UK - to provide bunless burgers, you can even customise an order on the self-order screens to exclude a bun. I have also found Burger King quite amenable to providing the burger without a bun. Sometimes it's just easier, though, to get it in the bun and not eat the bun as the relish / salad will at least be kept in place. I have McD's Egg Muffin for breakfast but skip eating the bun, although it comes with it - it just serves as a handy "holder" for the egg!!

5. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I’ve just eaten this a loaded burger no bun but extra salad at a holiday destination pool bar. I just said I can’t eat bread so can I have extra salad instead. Served in a box with plastic cutlery. No one batted an eye lid when I asked :)

3C2A45A0-6F94-453E-996A-A8408292454E.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Madmaureen

Madmaureen Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why no bun?
    Just bolus for it for once!!

7. CondorX

Type 2's don't have that option.......unfortunately

8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think the poster is type 1 though so I'm guessing that is who Madmaureen is talking to. x

9. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In my experience most restaurants are happy to omit anything the customer asks to be left out. I must admit though that most of the time I order the normal meal and just ignore whatever is on the plate i can not cope with carb wise. Buns are not as much of a temptation though as potato chips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. CondorX

The poster has not put their Type in the details under the avatar, so seemed it could be either.

11. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Five Guys lead the way in bunless burgers in my opinion. Ask for one and you’ll be asked whether you’d like a lettuce wrap or a bowl, and given cutlery to eat it with. Pretty delicious.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Diabeticger

How do I add my location and details , I've tried through my profile but cant fond the option

13. CondorX

Click on your profile / avatar on the top menu and scroll down your personal settings to Diabetes Type, medication etc.

14. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Diabetictiger, to make thse changes, you really need to be using your browser, as opposed to the App. Once logged in, via your browser (it works on phones and tablets too), hover your curser over your name in the top right hnd side, then choose from the menu. Most of wha t you want is under Personal Details. Just remember to save your changes, once you've made them.

15. Diabeticger

Sound, condor , was driving me mad

16. JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Yes. Five Guys actually does a burger wrapped in lettuce, and if you want a lot of extra's (mushrooms, bacon etc), they can just put it in a tray. Ooh, what a meal that was! Never had any problems at Burger king or McD's either, I just usually have to go back and ask for cutlery. ;) And the same goes for non-fastfood restaurants too... They'd rather you ask them to leave something out than to throw away perfectly good food.

17. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

I can't speak for the op but there are more reasons for requesting to go bunless than reducing insulin.

As I don't eat meat, I have veggie burgers. This are often carb based. I find carbs (veggie burger) , inside carbs (bun) with carbs on the side (chips) a tad too carby. And chips are better than bun.
    It's nothing to do with diabetes or insulin. It's just personal preference for not wasting food.

18. Tophat1900

Tophat1900 Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Usually a burger here in Australia is wrapped in lettuce. They are good, bit messy at times, but who cares?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well Burger King say " Have it your way" so refusing a bun and asking for extra salad should be ok

• Like Like x 1
  20. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve done the bunless thing in McDonald’s! 5 guys and some posh burger chain whose name I forget. Each time I asked for extra salad etc. Each time seriously disappointed and deterred from doing it again a small sad meat patty and some limp lettuce was not a meal. Tbf even with the bun it wouldn’t have been much better just a little more substantial and easier to hold on to.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook