What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A very quick post. Calm and peace was truly shattered with the arrival of our lovely 4 and 7 year old grandchildren. Had a wonderful day around Holkham and today we are walking to Wells along the beach then Sunday lunch here at the Victoria.

Have basically eaten carnivore with lots of coffee and cream but have been careful not to eat too much protein. So blood sugars a much better 5.1 this morning.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.3 today - meh. @Krystyna23040 yesterday sounds superb and Wells is a place we know and love - last 3 or 4 days for you spent in places that suit me well. Have a great day. @DJC3 and @Debandez thanks for the comments and wishes. @DJC3 hugs for the wrench when it comes. Whilst children and grandchildren are precious this terroir defines not only me but all 3 boys as it did my father and grandfather and to some extent our grandson. Many things are never the same outside of very particular environments, especially people. Well observed with food and drink but especially sports people. From here on in I will always be a fish out of water. I am totally in sync with the rhythms here and genuinely do not understand *** most of the rest of the UK is about - Aquitaine I understand in a similar way. Blew my chance of that- timing is all. On the plus side, I will have one more thing to be grumpy about - every cloud?

Last edited:

Viv19

I’m not sure whether to congratulate or commiserate. It’s great to get an asking price offer let alone above, so congrats for that.
As for the moving date I feel the same, I know I will be in bits when we finally leave, all my life has played out here - all the celebrations, anniversaries and sadnesses. My dad put his heart and soul into making this wreck a fabulous family home, and so much of him is here as well as my mum and brother, all sadly gone now. Such a wrench to leave ones history but it’s just land and bricks in the end, children and Grandchildren are more precious.

It must be heart wrenching to leave those memories and familiarity. But you’re right- the memories go with you so they’re not lost. Dad talks a lot nowadays about his childhood and youth in the navy (at 93 in a few weeks those memories are stronger) - they had their house bombed when he was early teens. In Ipswich and not near the docks, so probably a bomber dumping an extra bomb on his way home. The bomb exploded a couple of hours later in their front garden but they were immediately evacuated and not allowed to collect their treasures. I’ve always thought that that must be the most terrible wrench, to lose every single physical treasure and memory.
We’ve had to move very often during my life, so I can’t imagine having spent so many years in one place. Until OH retired early, the longest I’d lived in one place was about 7 years. Living a long time in your childhood home must be very special. But moving on can make you feel lighter too, when everything has been sorted and the unnecessary has been disposed of.

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7 for me this morning. Grey day to match my mood re my creeping higher BG numbers. Not sure what is driving it. I guess it is the mounting stress of peeping for summer camp but who really knows there are so many variables.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was 7 after a more hopeful 6.5 last night. I didn’t sleep until 2 or 3 so that’s probably why.
@Viv19 hug and sympathy for the sleep problem. Similar for your dad from the earlier post but he sounds like a great man. @Bildad sorry your numbers are rising especially if the reason is stress from such a positive and much needed activity. @HarrisonK I hope the weather holds for you and the day is all you hope for. Indeed, may today be all every member hopes for and none of the fears materialise.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 but woke late and probs had too much meat for supper. Why do when we bbq take the amount of meat we would normally cook and x2 or even x3. Of course I didnt have to eat so much but when there is a large plate of mixed meat smelling wonderful. Anyone else have this issue?
@ianpspurs so glad you got two great offers though understand it is tinged with mixed feelings. I think it is difficult for you and @DJC3 to have lived in your family home forever and then leave for pastures new. I think the key is to hopefully find somewhere you that you actually like. Best wishes to each of you.
@Bildad that is an enviable number so dont be down.@pavlosn great number again hope your son arrives safely and has a whale of a time.
Not sure what the weather is going to do here today but another day mostly in the garden like yesterday. Thunderstorms expected tonight, maybe.
Have a great Sunday everyone. Stay well stay safe.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.7 but woke late and probs had too much meat for supper. Why do when we bbq take the amount of meat we would normally cook and x2 or even x3. Of course I didnt have to eat so much but when there is a large plate of mixed meat smelling wonderful. Anyone else have this issue?
@ianpspurs so glad you got two great offers though understand it is tinged with mixed feelings. I think it is difficult for you and @DJC3 to have lived in your family home forever and then leave for pastures new. I think the key is to hopefully find somewhere you that you actually like. Best wishes to each of you.
@Bildad that is an enviable number so dont be down.@pavlosn great number again hope your son arrives safely and has a whale of a time.
Not sure what the weather is going to do here today but another day mostly in the garden like yesterday. Thunderstorms expected tonight, maybe.
Have a great Sunday everyone. Stay well stay safe.
@PenguinMum thanks for the thoughts and wishes. I hope the family bbq was, despite the meatfest and higher fbg, enjoyable. Excessive meat does seem to be a common feature of bbqs and we used to be the same. I don't think lots of red meat will ever again be a problem for me. 4 years of LC have radically changed my tastes. I would never have dreamed I would prefer salmon to steak or see bacon in such a negative way. Enjoy Sunday.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3
What I did with the family photos, and I had a lot like you, was to divide them in piles. So my 3 children and myself. 4 piles.

I chose the ones I really wanted for me.

Then in the 3 of my children’s piles (they are all grown up adults 2 of them have their own children. I put the most appropriate in each pile. Then the ones that were left I divided between the 3 piles.

I bought some photo albums, the type where you lift the self seal plastic and placed them under. It is also easy to change them round in this kind of album if you want to. It is also easy for the grandchildren to take them out for their school projects.

Then I handed each of my grown up children their albums.

The two that had grandchildren greatly appreciated them and I got feedback off that. My son who is not married and never intends having offspring put his in a cupboard, although he did appreciate receiving his childhood and family photos.

This in my opinion is the easiest, at least to me the least time consuming method. Yes it still takes a little while to do, but nothing as time consuming and scanning to a disc which will probably end up at the back of a drawer.

As you are sorting, memories will come. You hold the history of the past. Little stories that your children know nothing about, or were not interested in listening to at the time when you told them, will come to mind. What I did was write down the stories, just short memories, and insert them in the albums.

This may be of interest to both your children and grandchildren. It was to mine.

This is by the by, but I have decided to expand those written memories, because both sets of grandchildren were very interested. I am only just starting this now, but I have bought some pen and ink and am writing memories when they come to with little picture drawings. So one memory to a sheet of paper and date for the approximate year. Photocopy them 4 times and post to each grandchild. I have made a folder for each grandchild so they can keep these memories in them. I will keep the originals so maybe I can do something with them at a later point.

My partner was 20 years older than me and he was always going to do something like this for his son. He said there was always time. But there wasn’t. He died before he started. So much history was lost. He had amazing memories and had been asked to go into schools and talk to schoolchildren. Which he did.

There is no time like the present moment to get started with anything....and baby steps are good...the mountain cannot be tackled in one go...but it can bit by bit...

>^..^<

@gennepher that’s a marvellous idea, what lovely treasures for your children and grandchildren. I think I will try to do something similar ( although youngest lives in a tiny flat with no storage and middle one lives at home still so not sure they’ll have the room) I love the idea of the stories too. Sometimes when a memory pops into my head I feel quite sad as there’s nobody left I can say ‘do you remember....’ to, but writing it down in order to pass it on will be cathartic for me and lovely for them.
Thank you so much.

Viv19

@PenguinMum thanks for the thoughts and wishes. I hope the family bbq was, despite the meatfest and higher fbg, enjoyable. Excessive meat does seem to be a common feature of bbqs and we used to be the same. I don't think lots of red meat will ever again be a problem for me. 4 years of LC have radically changed my tastes. I would never have dreamed I would prefer salmon to steak or see bacon in such a negative way. Enjoy Sunday.

Re bacon. The preferred bacon cut in Germany is streaky bacon, as opposed to the back bacon usually preferred in the UK. My only objection is that the Germans slice it so thinly, it’s really difficult to unstick from the other slices. But even thicker cut streaky bacon cooks up crispy and is rather delicious, as opposed to slightly tough back bacon. Perhaps this might be a more tasty alternative for jaded palates.
And frying the streaky bacon makes more fat that is absolutely perfect for tossing and frying the mushrooms in.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. We had 2 sets of viewers on Wednesday, my birthday, both offered. One just went over asking price so I accepted. Day of moving will be hardest day of my life far worse than the 2 other contenders.
A congratulations for finding an acceptable offer some sadness for what may be a difficult day to come.
As a military family we were quite used to moving every 18 months to two years. All our goods packed into boxes and sent off to the next place. Now, as army veterans, we have been in this house for nearly 15 years. Not long you may say but I would dread having to move.
Take the time to prepare yourselves for letting go.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re bacon. The preferred bacon cut in Germany is streaky bacon, as opposed to the back bacon usually preferred in the UK. My only objection is that the Germans slice it so thinly, it’s really difficult to unstick from the other slices. But even thicker cut streaky bacon cooks up crispy and is rather delicious, as opposed to slightly tough back bacon. Perhaps this might be a more tasty alternative for jaded palates.
And frying the streaky bacon makes more fat that is absolutely perfect for tossing and frying the mushrooms in.
@Viv19 the taste and aroma are not an issue. Now far too salty for my palate these days and just too "dry" - in the past I really enjoyed a bacon sandwich with plenty of tomato sauce. Sans bread no love for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher that’s a marvellous idea, what lovely treasures for your children and grandchildren. I think I will try to do something similar ( although youngest lives in a tiny flat with no storage and middle one lives at home still so not sure they’ll have the room) I love the idea of the stories too. Sometimes when a memory pops into my head I feel quite sad as there’s nobody left I can say ‘do you remember....’ to, but writing it down in order to pass it on will be cathartic for me and lovely for them.
Thank you so much.

Glad I have given you some ideas.
Writing down memories, it seems to me, is a good idea.

>^..^<

Viv19

Thank you so much.

That is a lovely idea gennepher. But I know that the muddle would prove too much for me.
I was thinking shoe boxes. If photos are noted on the back that might be enough for the children and grandchildren to have. There is always a huge interest in ancestors, especially more recently with records being put on line. So often there is an unnamed photo of a few grim looking ancestors- their expressions probably down to having to freeze their faces for the ages it took to take the pic. It’s always interesting to know there’s a photo of gg Grandad ..... I wish more of the pictures in Dad’s cupboard had some kind of notes on. Who, where, when. He can still tell me but Mum’s family pics were not all written on. Such a shame.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know ... people go to war to fight for their land and houses ...

Where I live now I live surrounded by shades of buildings that are no more ... some that were built after I first knew this place, and now they are gone the way of the ones that predated me ...

The house I grew up in is still there, three miles away, and I have managed to see it only once in 6 1/2 years ... have not visited either of my old churches, too many ghosts ...

I am not sure why people go to war. I have done it three times and had no idea why, certainly not for land and houses. I was of course spun a line of bull poop by politicians who continually fail to talk because they have no skin in the game.
My only comfort is that my maternal grandfather gave his life so that I am free to say whatever I like (in the country where I live at least), even if it upsets people with different opinions.
Sorry - maybe a bit maudlin. I have a lot to be grateful for.

Last edited:

Viv19

@Viv19 the taste and aroma are not an issue. Tastes too salty for my palate these days just too "dry" - in the past I really enjoyed a bacon sandwich with plenty of tomato sauce. Sans bread no love for it.

That’s a shame. Though I must say I don’t eat much bacon in Germany. I really can’t get past the intensive farming and the amount of antibiotics that must be used to keep the animals healthy. I know they are not the majority, but it’s a delight to see the outdoor pigs in the fields in Norfolk and Suffolk. If the animals are destined to be eaten, they should at least be treated fairly, have a reasonable life and also not filled with unnecessary hormones and antibiotics.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. I would echo “good morning” several times as there has been at least two false starts as far as I can remember.
The tissue of lies flung my way by the wonder wheel of deception and ambushes was firstly a 5.0 and on a second go, half an hour later at 6.1. Now, 3 and a half hours later and eventually sliding downstairs for a mug of tea, 6.8.

I typically got the whole story wrong yesterday about our grandsons footy tournament. He was of course, silly grandad, “guesting” for a league 1 team in a Champions League competition (he plays for North Yorkshire but his current club are down in league 3). Next season he will be in an under 11 team where full rules apply; the waving of yellow and red cards, being sent off for messing up - that sort of stuff.

Anyhow, have a wonderful Sunday if you can. Mrs Miggins and her sisters are off to a Cystic Fibrosis thing today so I will be left unsupervised. Walking boots or motorcycle?