Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@WuTwo and @MeiChanski I am confused.
How do you have left over pizza?

Himself and I make exactly the right amount - between us we have three very thin crust pizzas. Ot one pizza each (his usually has meat on it) and a garlic bread/mozzarella balls/parmesan flatbread out of the last lot of dough.
We have learnt not to overdo the cheese and as I don't have meat they are not too fatty.

True question My bf can eat a pizza by himself and usually my eyes are bigger than my stomach and manage a quarter of a pizza. If it’s by myself, I have pizza for the next 2 days.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I'm useless with food - I can be totally sure I will eat a particular amount of food but then when I'm eating, I find I've had enough half way through.

In fact to deal with this I now inject as soon as I've eaten because otherwise I can find I've injected for the meal and leave half. I got very fed up dealing with the consequences, so changed injection time. Might not be "right" but it works for me.

Reactions: hh1 and MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm useless with food - I can be totally sure I will eat a particular amount of food but then when I'm eating, I find I've had enough half way through.

In fact to deal with this I now inject as soon as I've eaten because otherwise I can find I've injected for the meal and leave half. I got very fed up dealing with the consequences, so changed injection time. Might not be "right" but it works for me.
Before DAFNE I was injecting after food, although I didn't have libre then to witness the spikes. On paper my BG was stable to some extent. I had my head bitten off during DAFNE for continuing to inject after food, they kept telling me to inject before. I found I never finish food and faced the consequences. So now I inject in stages or after food.

Reactions: WuTwo

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB - I use the edamame and mung bean pasta, it’s not bad at all! Aldi sometimes have a range of three low carb pastas and I have quite a stock!

@Delticmatt100 those numbers look not too bad at all and likenthe others have said, you may well still be having the odd spurt of your pancreas as it’s still such early days. My only advice would be to always, always, always carry a fast hypo fix and both your insulins (plus test kit, obvs) - it’ll soon become a habit. Phone, keys, d kit. You’re doing great, lovely. Hope the barbie was good?

Managed my entire day in PJs yesterday, binging in a box set and drinking orange marmalade gin. Some food happened too, will post that in my vegan low carb thread. @WuTwo - made some of those seitan chicken things and they were surprisingly nice. Reckon I could adapt the recipe to make some low carb gnocchi too.

Picking up manchild today, so will have to get dressed, I suppose. Collecting our lovely octogenarian friend Mad Jean on th way and making a visit to Taurus Crafts in Gloucestershire en route. Coffee and a little mild shopping. Then it’s birthday present time, as manchild turned 16 this week and he’s been at his dad’s.

Have a good one, friends ❤️
Thanks @Mel dCP I'll see what Aldi's got

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I'll go find something sweet.

By the way, writing lines as a punishment/to make the rules sink in has gotten a whole lot better since my youth. Thanks, whoever invented copy-paste!

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Before DAFNE I was injecting after food, although I didn't have libre then to witness the spikes. On paper my BG was stable to some extent. I had my head bitten off during DAFNE for continuing to inject after food, they kept telling me to inject before. I found I never finish food and faced the consequences. So now I inject in stages or after food.

Not a lot they can say to me - got a good HbA1C, and not many hypos .....

*warbling* "I did it myyyyy waaaaaaay"

ETA - ate every mouthful tonight plus extra strawberries. (Which were absolutely gorgeous)

Last edited:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crisps are the devil! Especially late at night which is when I like them best. To me, they do exactly as you described: bolus, eat, see bg is perfect an hour or 2 later, sleep, and some 4 to 6 hours later they spike me. When fast asleep, so nothing you can do about it until waking up and asking yourself why you ate them.

With me its Nan bread, no matter how much insulin I take and with the pump I can spit the dose over a longer period, usually 6 hours. I will go to bed with a decent BG and wake up around 3 am in double figures. Yet when I have the same curry with rice I am fine

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My bf put together my Kallax and my desk looks a lot neater. :) Finally somewhere to store books :D
We had the last of our cheesy vegan pasta from yesterday, I wished I put some in the oven to get the cheese on top to crisp up a little. Crispy cheesy pasta sounds goood. :hilarious:

Reactions: WuTwo and Knikki

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have updated my Libre ssensor, which is supposed to give more accurate results. Dont see how that will work, but hey ho

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have updated my Libre ssensor, which is supposed to give more accurate results. Dont see how that will work, but hey ho
Did that with my phone. Still seems to read anywhere between 0.6 and 1.5 lower than a finger prick. No need to find a reader as I've never bought one. They cost exactly the same as a sensor in the Netherlands and I rather have one more sensor than a reader :)
Turned out the rage bolusing wasn't rage bolusing at all but accurate gut feeling :) The heat must be playing tricks with me. Bit sad about that, as I was looking forward to eating one or two kersenbonbons*, more or less demanded from the restaurant the day before yesterday 'in case I'll go hypo during driving'. (yes, of course I had boring hypo treatment with me, but I fancied those kersenbonbons)

If you ever get higher post meal spikes than you want you could always consider injecting for half your meal before eating and topping up when finished. But as long as it works for you it sounds fine to me :)

*Dark chocolate, filled with cherry liquor and an alcohol-soaked cherry :hungry:
onverpakte-kersenbonbon-met-verpakkend-document-op-de-achtergrond-138659001.jpg

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, my lips and mouth went all tingly, and my throat swelled a little. Like very mild anaphylaxis. I did a little research and apparently it’s not uncommon in people with a birch pollen allergy. I’m not aware of being allergic to that, but I react to so many things that I wasn’t terribly surprised :(

But LOOOOOOP!!!! :borg:
Aubergines have the same effect on me. My husband grew some one year and we were only able to use one - we gave the rest away.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Did that with my phone. Still seems to read anywhere between 0.6 and 1.5 lower than a finger prick. No need to find a reader as I've never bought one. They cost exactly the same as a sensor in the Netherlands and I rather have one more sensor than a reader :)
Turned out the rage bolusing wasn't rage bolusing at all but accurate gut feeling :) The heat must be playing tricks with me. Bit sad about that, as I was looking forward to eating one or two kersenbonbons*, more or less demanded from the restaurant the day before yesterday 'in case I'll go hypo during driving'. (yes, of course I had boring hypo treatment with me, but I fancied those kersenbonbons)

If you ever get higher post meal spikes than you want you could always consider injecting for half your meal before eating and topping up when finished. But as long as it works for you it sounds fine to me :)

*Dark chocolate, filled with cherry liquor and an alcohol-soaked cherry :hungry:
onverpakte-kersenbonbon-met-verpakkend-document-op-de-achtergrond-138659001.jpg
Ooh, I love those cherry things!

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, my lips and mouth went all tingly, and my throat swelled a little. Like very mild anaphylaxis. I did a little research and apparently it’s not uncommon in people with a birch pollen allergy. I’m not aware of being allergic to that, but I react to so many things that I wasn’t terribly surprised :(

But LOOOOOOP!!!! :borg:
That sounds really scary - glad it didn't get any more serious than that! And as a complete non-techie, looking forward to hearing how you get on with your loop. It's all way outside my competence but fascinated by what you're doing

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That sounds really scary - glad it didn't get any more serious than that! And as a complete non-techie, looking forward to hearing how you get on with your loop. It's all way outside my competence but fascinated by what you're doing
I’ve had full on anaphylaxis before (the last time I ever dyed my hair :( ), so knew it wasn’t too serious, but was also aware that it could have gone that way! I stayed awake until it wore off, just in case.
And I’m not entirely sure that it’s within my own competence, but the online community is so helpful, I’m sure I can get it working. In an ideal world, it’ll be able to handle the slow rises and falls that my LC diet gives without having to bolus. We shall see!

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I must not rage bolus.
I'll go find something sweet.

By the way, writing lines as a punishment/to make the rules sink in has gotten a whole lot better since my youth. Thanks, whoever invented copy-paste!

Writing out lines is a whole new chapter now lol :hilarious: not that I ever had to write out lines on the school chalk board :angelic::D
Like your style :)

Reactions: Knikki

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I’ve had full on anaphylaxis before (the last time I ever dyed my hair :( ), so knew it wasn’t too serious, but was also aware that it could have gone that way! I stayed awake until it wore off, just in case.
And I’m not entirely sure that it’s within my own competence, but the online community is so helpful, I’m sure I can get it working. In an ideal world, it’ll be able to handle the slow rises and falls that my LC diet gives without having to bolus. We shall see!
Wow. You're just using long-acting insulin?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wow. You're just using long-acting insulin?
No, Novorapid in a pump. My basal program is set up, and the Loop will adjust the rate according to what the algorithm predicts my levels to be in an hour’s time. So with slow and gentle changes to my level, it might be able to handle it without needing to bolus on top. We shall see.

Reactions: Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning Diabetnam!

So.. This dream I had last night when humans were in the future free floating through space in some sort of massive plant based bio mechanical structure.. It was quite beautiful like a green laser show? (From a distance.)

The only downside was this alien that seemed to be narrating the plot with a voice like the Emporor from Star Wars.
The entity would sneak about & take us out one by one in our comfy branch beds, then go on to consume parts of the structure.
This thing grabbed my foot at one point & I awoke..

3.3Mmol..

At least the alien seemed to like his meat & 2 veg..