BBC Bulletproof Bias

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Yes, I do like alliteration.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48692763

"However, Aisling Pigott, a registered dietician, and spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association (BDA), is critical.

"Bulletproof coffee is not something I'd ever recommend, because it's introducing extra calories and extra fat in a way that isn't providing any other nutritional value," she says.

"There is no benefit to adding butter to your coffee. With a Bulletproof coffee-based breakfast you're missing out on what you're getting from a food-based breakfast - there is no protein, vitamins or minerals."
"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter

"
Nutritional value per 1 US Tbsp (14.2g)
Energy
101.8 kcal (426 kJ)
Carbohydrates
0.01 g
Sugars 0.01 g
Fat
11.52 g
Saturated 7.294 g
Trans 0.465 g
Monounsaturated 2.985 g
Polyunsaturated 0.432 g
Protein
0.12 g
Vitamins Quantity%DV
Vitamin A equiv.
12%
97.1 μg
Vitamin A 355 IU
Vitamin B12
1%
0.024 μg
Vitamin E
2%
0.33 mg
Vitamin K
1%
0.99 μg
Other constituents Quantity
Cholesterol
30.5 mg
"

Nope - no vitamins or protein there!
I wonder what it takes to be "a registered dietitian, and spokesperson for the British Dietetic Association (BDA)"?

I don't think that minerals are normally listed in nutritional information but ICBW.

Seriously, though; describing butter (the concentrated goodness of milk which is amazingly nutritious), as "of no benefit" does smack of a very political slant to nutrition.

[Me culpa -just read her name as Ailing Bigot for some reason.]

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
"Food based breakfast". So, babies have liquid breakfasts. I will carry on having a healthy fuel based breakfast rather than an unhealthy sugar based (aka "healthy whole grain" out of an orange box) breakfast, thank you. Which means I won't be hungry or need more sugar based fuel two hours later.

Seriously, have you seen what they have to add to bread and to breakfast cereals just so they can put a "Healthy" stamp on the packaging?

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Serious stupidity?

One I was interacting with on twitter claimed that bread wasn't a processed food... you couldn't make it up..
I remember seeing that and laughing my head off at the lunacy then seeing the backtrack just made me howl even more.

I’ll admit when I first saw about bulletproof coffee I was a skeptic but then I was suffering from Ancelitis so I thought most fat was bad. How wrong I was. Most RD’s honestly have their heads stuck in the sand and don’t know anything really about biochemistry so it just ends up with them regurgitating information that has been debatable for decades.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
'Expert Dietitian'? Isn't that the same as 'Military Inteligence' or 'Political Communication'? All oxymorons.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
what do they have to add to bread?

Well, not that much if you do the proper versions with strong wheat flour, oil for flexibility, and some food for the yeast.
Much like good beer with just malt, hops and water (and yeast of course).

However getting the wheat ready is a long hard grind.........

Malting barley is also an industrial process.

Mashing the malt to release the enzymes and convert the starch to fermentable sugar is also processing.

So there is a difference between processed (needs work turning the basic raw materials into a usable form) and being stuffed full of additives to try and preserve some flavour and texture whilst increasing shelf life.

Reactions: AloeSvea

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Begs the question.......why would you put butter in coffee?????? Butter is for bread and toast :)

:)Ah! The Type 1 perspective! :)

Weuns don't eat bread.

Reactions: porl69
M

Member496333

:) still the question is there!

The idea is that butter being very energy dense makes it ideal for a quick refuelling for the fat adapted. Even a breakfast substitute. Personally I just have double cream, but actually butter does taste ok. Very smooth.

D

Deleted Account

Thought you might be interested in this link on how they make most bread you buy from the supermarket. Quite scary actually. https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/general-food-articles/chorleywood-process-industrial-bread/
Interesting but I bake all my own bread - all it contains is flour (from a local mill when possible), water and a little bit of salt. I have a sourdough starter which contains all the yeast I need. I still consider this processed ... but then so is coffee and butter,

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The idea is that butter being very energy dense makes it ideal for as a quick refuelling for the fat adapted. Even a breakfast substitute. Personally I just have double cream, but actually butter does taste ok. Very smooth.

Thank you for that....but still ewwwww lol :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I remember seeing that and laughing my head off at the lunacy then seeing the backtrack just made me howl even more.

I’ll admit when I first saw about bulletproof coffee I was a skeptic but then I was suffering from Ancelitis so I thought most fat was bad. How wrong I was. Most RD’s honestly have their heads stuck in the sand and don’t know anything really about biochemistry so it just ends up with them regurgitating information that has been debatable for decades.
If you haven't patented this "Ancelitis", I'm afraid I will be using this from now on.

Reactions: Goonergal
M

Member496333

Thank you for that....but still ewwwww lol :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Not really much different to cream, in essence. But yes I get that most folk would cringe at the idea. As I say, it’s not for me, but many people enjoy it and it’s completely harmless. In fact it’s nutritious.

Reactions: porl69