Should I stop keto and Intermittent Fasting now?

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Hi there, I was diagnosed T2 in May, (Hba1c 82,)found out later I had been Pre Diabetic since 2015, since May 10th I have been following a low carb diet, started at 80g a day gradually reducing, now it's down to 30g. I have also been doing I.F. I have recently read something which said that if you reduce carbs too quickly it can cause retinopathy and nerve damage. In May I had blurred vision for 2 weeks, then it suddenly went away; it's fine now. My question is, should I increase my carbs again? I don't want to damage my body, but I also want to lose weight and reverse the diabetes. Everything was going well with keto, I feel great for the first time in ages, but I'm worried now about potential nerve damage etc. Thanks for reading this.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I was diagnosed T2 in May, (Hba1c 82,)found out later I had been Pre Diabetic since 2015, since May 10th I have been following a low carb diet, started at 80g a day gradually reducing, now it's down to 30g. I have also been doing I.F. I have recently read something which said that if you reduce carbs too quickly it can cause retinopathy and nerve damage. In May I had blurred vision for 2 weeks, then it suddenly went away; it's fine now. My question is, should I increase my carbs again? I don't want to damage my body, but I also want to lose weight and reverse the diabetes. Everything was going well with keto, I feel great for the first time in ages, but I'm worried now about potential nerve damage etc. Thanks for reading this.
If you're feeling good, keep at it. And those 2 weeks of blurry vision were normal. Your brain was used to correcting for the sugar in your eyeballs distorting your vision, and it had to learn it didn't have to do that anymore. Your HbA1c wasn't extremely high to begin with, and I think, though others are more than welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to be sky-high for any damage to occur. Don't reintroduce carbs if you don't absolutely have to, because your bloodglucose'd rise again. And that would cause damage. If the carb reduction'd adversely affected you permanently, you'd know already. ;)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not a foregone conclusion that there will be damage from reducing carbs and blood glucose too quickly - I just went from a heavily carb low fat diet to low carb high fat in the time it took the doctor to say diabetes.
All that happened was the diabetes keeled over and died away.
The background retinopathy found at my first photo opportunity was gone by the second.
If you are going along OK as you are, I suspect that starting to change things back towards what they were isn't going to be of much benefit long term - it is, after all, sugar crystals damaging the inside of your blood vessels which does the damage, and the less there is of that - surely - the better?

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
Whew thanks Jo! I feel so great at the moment, am losing weight and my blood glucose is normal except for DP. I think I have found a way of eating that my body thrives on, and I didn't want to go backwards! I have so much energy, feel strong and happy...thanks to everyone on these forums who have helped me find this way of life.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
It is not a foregone conclusion that there will be damage from reducing carbs and blood glucose too quickly - I just went from a heavily carb low fat diet to low carb high fat in the time it took the doctor to say diabetes.
All that happened was the diabetes keeled over and died away.
The background retinopathy found at my first photo opportunity was gone by the second.
If you are going along OK as you are, I suspect that starting to change things back towards what they were isn't going to be of much benefit long term - it is, after all, sugar crystals damaging the inside of your blood vessels which does the damage, and the less there is of that - surely - the better?

Thanks Resurgam! I just want to get rid of this diabetes, haha... :D
I really appreciate your advice.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whew thanks Jo! I feel so great at the moment, am losing weight and my blood glucose is normal except for DP. I think I have found a way of eating that my body thrives on, and I didn't want to go backwards! I have so much energy, feel strong and happy...thanks to everyone on these forums who have helped me find this way of life.
;) If it feels even half as good as it seems to, stick with it. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a lot of doom and gloom around about the dreadfulness of diabetes - but a lucky type two can just walk away from it as long as they get good advice on nutrition - even someone who requires medication to achieve normal numbers can consider themselves fortunate really - having seen my grandmother dying from uncontrolled type two I can get a bit forthright about 'oh you ought to treat yourself with high carb foods or life is not worth living' - particularly since I saw someone recently with one foot missing and the other one in a rubber boot full of bandages who I think was at one of the 'education' sessions I attended.

chrestomanci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hunger
There is a lot of doom and gloom around about the dreadfulness of diabetes - but a lucky type two can just walk away from it as long as they get good advice on nutrition - even someone who requires medication to achieve normal numbers can consider themselves fortunate really - having seen my grandmother dying from uncontrolled type two I can get a bit forthright about 'oh you ought to treat yourself with high carb foods or life is not worth living' - particularly since I saw someone recently with one foot missing and the other one in a rubber boot full of bandages who I think was at one of the 'education' sessions I attended.

Totally agree, Resurgam. Sorry to hear about your Gran.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
“It seems so wrong but it feels so good!”

My thoughts when I started, you’ve done something fantastic through this so why stop now? I always say proper nutrition is finding what makes you feel like a million quid and just keep with it. No one best diet for all after all so just listen to your body and keep going. Rooting for you all the way, you’ve come so far!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Could you give a link to this thing you read about low carb that is giving/gave you cause for concern, please.

Caeseji

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self-fellating idiots that don't at all look at other people's views
Sorry, it wasn't online, it was in a magazine which my diabetic nurse showed me today. (She hates keto and I.F.)
I’m crying BIAS! Sooooooo does she hate lasting health and diabetic remission? Oyyyyy.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed