Carb Cycling

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It has absolutely no bearing on me, a metabolically dysfunctional, insulin resistant person who can shoot up to diabetic blood glucose levels with a single portion of bread or rice.
That very accurately describes me - which is why carb cycling would not be a good idea for me to try.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not good advice to a new T2 reading the forum

Ha! There’s a whole host of stories and utterly rediculous ‘advice’ all over this forum and it’s up to the reader to decide if they use that advice or not.

My contribution was a statement about me. The OP was about T2’s eating carbs to a damaging level. Took 30 years for my dad to slowly die doing that, rotting away merrily because he took NHS advice.
The sooner people realise that carbs are the enemy, the better.

Reactions: Member496333

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am fairly sure that I saw someone from the diabetes education course I went on in early 2017 - walking towards the supermarket I'd just left. He had one foot all bandaged up in a rubber boot and the other one was missing. He was, from what I recall, in a bad way back then, and was not going to stop' eating properly' for anyone.
My grandmother vanished from home from time to time and came back with a bit less of her legs each time.
To eat something a little bit more carb laden than usual means me dining on a chop or steak and a breakfast of eggs and salad. Eating a consistently high amount of carbs for a whole day or several days - not going to happen.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m an insulin resistant T2. I’m not eating any carbs as I don’t want to die a slow death,
What makes you believe that carb avoidance will result in a fast death.
There are many ways to die, some very slowly irrespective of carb intake throughout ones life.

Reactions: porl69

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What makes you believe that carb avoidance will result in a fast death.
There are many ways to die, some very slowly irrespective of carb intake throughout ones life.

Nah, still not as pedantic as my brother, he has pedantism nailed.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Ah so it’s the abruptness and shock value of the idea of very low carb that you feel is the problem rather than the truth of the statement."

Where do you get that idea from no it is plainly not true that it is necessary to abstain from all carbohydrates.

Diet doctor defines low carb in the following way

Ketogenic low carb <20 gram carbs per day. This is a ketogenic diet (if protein intake is moderate).
This level is defined as below 4 percent energy from carbs in our recipes, where we also keep the protein level low or moderate (excess protein is converted to carbohydrates in the body).345

Moderate low carb 20-50 grams of carbs per day. This level is defined as between 4-10 percent energy from carbs in our recipes

Liberal low carb 50-100 grams of carbs per day. This means 10-20 percent energy from carbs in our recipes

Many here like my self have succeeded on moderate low carb levels

and even keto does not require total abstinence

Reactions: therower

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From here
I personally think it would be harmful to scare newbies off

I already agreed unnecessary to avoid ALL carbs

Posts 32, 35, 36 and 39 sum up my opinion and less literal interpretation of the original comment.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Wow - that's huge. I'd like to read more - do you have a reference for this fact?
I am sure you are not suggesting all people (or at least all Americans) with Type 2 or pre-diabetes is just down to their lousy diet and good choices. My understanding is that diabetes is much more complex than that.
The Fat Emporer podcast E 25, Dr Lustig is worth seeing in that regard.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
"Ah so it’s the abruptness and shock value of the idea of very low carb that you feel is the problem rather than the truth of the statement."

Where do you get that idea from no it is plainly not true that it is necessary to abstain from all carbohydrates.

Diet doctor defines low carb in the following way

Ketogenic low carb <20 gram carbs per day. This is a ketogenic diet (if protein intake is moderate).
This level is defined as below 4 percent energy from carbs in our recipes, where we also keep the protein level low or moderate (excess protein is converted to carbohydrates in the body).345

Moderate low carb 20-50 grams of carbs per day. This level is defined as between 4-10 percent energy from carbs in our recipes

Liberal low carb 50-100 grams of carbs per day. This means 10-20 percent energy from carbs in our recipes

Many here like my self have succeeded on moderate low carb levels

and even keto does not require total abstinence

I think for some it's all or nothing. It's better to abstain than to try to moderate where there will always be the temptation to have a bit more than you should.

If you can eat a small to moderate amount of some kind of carbohydrate and find it doesn’t spike your blood sugar to a worrying level - again, what worries one person might (rightfully or mistakenly) not worry another - then you can go ahead and eat some.

But if you have already damaged your body to scarring levels, you can't blame people for wanting to stay right away from carbs altogether. Every bite counts when it adds up to complications.

There's no telling what damage carbs do to those who even seem to get away with eating them into their older age. My 84yo aunt had gestational diabetes in the 1950s but never developed T2 and is in pretty good health but she has just had 2 operations in the last year - one on her knee and one for carpal tunnel. Who knows how much the carbs in her diet could be causing inflammation that led to those operations? But it's hard to say either way when you've made it into your 80s. Could be carbs, could be anything.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, I think, in the real world, there will be a fair few inadvertantly carb cycling. There will be many who low carb quite well, but either have a treat each weekend, say, whether it's Sunday lunch, Friday takeaway or whatever, or who just give in to their own variant of temptation from time to time, but then revert to whichever path they find best.

As ever, I'm not keen on labels, then forensic label dissections, because few of us live our lives to a labelled level of perfection.

Those who manage their condition by their mainly LC eating, with the odd meandering, and still achieve A1cs to their, and their hralth care team's satisfaction, then great. It's not my or anyone else's place to judge them, or they me.for that matter.

Reactions: HSSS

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on holiday in the USA last month. Going on the food on offer for Breakfast and Dinner (skipped lunch every day) I would say that the average person eats far more than can be good for them. Huge portions, plus Carbs, carbs and more carbs! All low fat, high sugar. Good food was difficult to find, without leaving the "rubbish" on the plate. Just my 10 day experience.
The result shows in the size of many people in the street, I would say the majority are over their ideal weight.

I agree. I spend a lot of time in the US with work and it is hard to find decent food on a budget. Even going higher end with restaurants it became apparent that veggies were hard to find. I had to order three side orders of broccoli to get anywhere near the amount of veg we’d eat in the UK! At least you can always get a salad!