1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb Cycling

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by JohnEGreen, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Krystyna23040

Krystyna23040 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

That very accurately describes me - which is why carb cycling would not be a good idea for me to try.

2. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Ha! There’s a whole host of stories and utterly rediculous ‘advice’ all over this forum and it’s up to the reader to decide if they use that advice or not.

My contribution was a statement about me. The OP was about T2’s eating carbs to a damaging level. Took 30 years for my dad to slowly die doing that, rotting away merrily because he took NHS advice.
    The sooner people realise that carbs are the enemy, the better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  3. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I am fairly sure that I saw someone from the diabetes education course I went on in early 2017 - walking towards the supermarket I'd just left. He had one foot all bandaged up in a rubber boot and the other one was missing. He was, from what I recall, in a bad way back then, and was not going to stop' eating properly' for anyone.
    My grandmother vanished from home from time to time and came back with a bit less of her legs each time.
    To eat something a little bit more carb laden than usual means me dining on a chop or steak and a breakfast of eggs and salad. Eating a consistently high amount of carbs for a whole day or several days - not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What makes you believe that carb avoidance will result in a fast death.
    There are many ways to die, some very slowly irrespective of carb intake throughout ones life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Nah, still not as pedantic as my brother, he has pedantism nailed.

• Hug Hug x 2
  6. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Technically, being healthy is the slowest, most lingering death... :D

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, my sister is ignorant but she refuses to accept it.

8. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

We can but hope...

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

"Ah so it’s the abruptness and shock value of the idea of very low carb that you feel is the problem rather than the truth of the statement."

Where do you get that idea from no it is plainly not true that it is necessary to abstain from all carbohydrates.

Diet doctor defines low carb in the following way

Ketogenic low carb <20 gram carbs per day. This is a ketogenic diet (if protein intake is moderate).
    This level is defined as below 4 percent energy from carbs in our recipes, where we also keep the protein level low or moderate (excess protein is converted to carbohydrates in the body).345

Moderate low carb 20-50 grams of carbs per day. This level is defined as between 4-10 percent energy from carbs in our recipes

Liberal low carb 50-100 grams of carbs per day. This means 10-20 percent energy from carbs in our recipes

Many here like my self have succeeded on moderate low carb levels

and even keto does not require total abstinence

• Like Like x 1
  10. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

From here
    I already agreed unnecessary to avoid ALL carbs

Posts 32, 35, 36 and 39 sum up my opinion and less literal interpretation of the original comment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The Fat Emporer podcast E 25, Dr Lustig is worth seeing in that regard.

12. Cocosilk

Cocosilk Gestational · Well-Known Member

I think for some it's all or nothing. It's better to abstain than to try to moderate where there will always be the temptation to have a bit more than you should.

If you can eat a small to moderate amount of some kind of carbohydrate and find it doesn’t spike your blood sugar to a worrying level - again, what worries one person might (rightfully or mistakenly) not worry another - then you can go ahead and eat some.

But if you have already damaged your body to scarring levels, you can't blame people for wanting to stay right away from carbs altogether. Every bite counts when it adds up to complications.

There's no telling what damage carbs do to those who even seem to get away with eating them into their older age. My 84yo aunt had gestational diabetes in the 1950s but never developed T2 and is in pretty good health but she has just had 2 operations in the last year - one on her knee and one for carpal tunnel. Who knows how much the carbs in her diet could be causing inflammation that led to those operations? But it's hard to say either way when you've made it into your 80s. Could be carbs, could be anything.

13. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

To be honest, I think, in the real world, there will be a fair few inadvertantly carb cycling. There will be many who low carb quite well, but either have a treat each weekend, say, whether it's Sunday lunch, Friday takeaway or whatever, or who just give in to their own variant of temptation from time to time, but then revert to whichever path they find best.

As ever, I'm not keen on labels, then forensic label dissections, because few of us live our lives to a labelled level of perfection.

Those who manage their condition by their mainly LC eating, with the odd meandering, and still achieve A1cs to their, and their hralth care team's satisfaction, then great. It's not my or anyone else's place to judge them, or they me.for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree. I spend a lot of time in the US with work and it is hard to find decent food on a budget. Even going higher end with restaurants it became apparent that veggies were hard to find. I had to order three side orders of broccoli to get anywhere near the amount of veg we’d eat in the UK! At least you can always get a salad!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook