Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
@coby
Sorry if I've said the wrong thing.
You need to know where you're at re diabetes, so need tests. If the nurse review can arrange these, great. GP can only suggest, you don't have to agree. If your diabetes is similar to what it was on dx, you may find upping your meds for a shot time might help with your kickstart change. Of course if you don't want that, please don't go.
Please don't apologise as I don't mind at all you making suggestions,and in fact welcome all suggestions. It's just that I prefer to see how I cope with this online support before going to my GP. Obviously if I don't improve my bg levels and general health within a few weeks then I would certainly see someone. I feel so much more supported since opening up on here yesterday xx

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@coby we can only make suggestions, you know your own situation best. My nurse always says to me "I know you will say no but....." before the offer of statins. They know me so well.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@coby we can only make suggestions, you know your own situation best. My nurse always says to me "I know you will say no but....." before the offer of statins. They know me so well.
I take Plant Sterols instead and they were actually first suggested to me (believe it or not) by my GP the first time I refused the statins!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @xfieldok our Drs and nurses can only advise meds, you don’t have to accept them. I have refused Statins several times, to the point where at my last Diabetes review the nurse said I have to mention Statins but I know you’ll refuse!
I’m so pleased you are finding some support here x

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree with @xfieldok our Drs and nurses can only advise meds, you don’t have to accept them. I have refused Statins several times, to the point where at my last Diabetes review the nurse said I have to mention Statins but I know you’ll refuse!
I’m so pleased you are finding some support here x
Rachox yes it feels as if a part of the burden has been lifted and I'm not completely alone with this. It really has made the orld of difference to my mindset ... I can't tell you ... just such a relief to share some of my load xx

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, red flag. Just did a quick Google on plant sterols. Without further research, I couldn't say for certain, however, the first thing that was mentioned was vegetable oils and seed oils. Not great for T2. You might want to look at the ingredients in what you are taking.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ok, red flag. Just did a quick Google on plant sterols. Without further research, I couldn't say for certain, however, the first thing that was mentioned was vegetable oils and seed oils. Not great for T2. You might want to look at the ingredients in what you are taking.
They seem okay and have brought my cholestrol down from 7.5 to 5.8 at my last review which was last October?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They seem okay and have brought my cholestrol down from 7.5 to 5.8 at my last review which was last October?
I drink the Benecol yoghurt drinks and the contents don’t include any vegetable or seed oils.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I drink the Benecol yoghurt drinks and the contents don’t include any vegetable or seed oils.
Yes I have one of those every morning too, and began those about a year ago. Love the blueberry :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There is a lot of research that shows the benefits of plant sterols. And it is very effective.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I have one of those every morning too, and began those about a year ago. Love the blueberry :)
I’ve only ever had the no added sugar natural, peach or raspberry flavours, though I’ve just looked and the carb count on the others isn’t much more. I had assumed they’d be way higher.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’ve only ever had the no added sugar natural, peach or raspberry flavours, though I’ve just looked and the carb count on the others isn’t much more. I had assumed they’d be way higher.
I just buy the original because 'no added sugar' often uses other sweeteners which I don't care to try. The blueberry is lovely!

Reactions: Rachox

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @coby I just came back in to see how you are feeling and I so glad to see you are doing great. As others have said I see my DN every 6 months to have all my checks done but have always politely refused offers of statins or metformin. When you are ready it is a good thing to have regular HBa1c and lipids tests and I think you will be seeing improvements as you go along. Grief is dreadful, I lost a best friend to suicide and my mother suddenly within 8 weeks and it has taken me 3 years to come to terms with the misplaced guilt (in my friends case) and losing Mum. But everyone has a “time” and this is your time to live a healthy and happy life. Best wishes.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby I just came back in to see how you are feeling and I so glad to see you are doing great. As others have said I see my DN every 6 months to have all my checks done but have always politely refused offers of statins or metformin. When you are ready it is a good thing to have regular HBa1c and lipids tests and I think you will be seeing improvements as you go along. Grief is dreadful, I lost a best friend to suicide and my mother suddenly within 8 weeks and it has taken me 3 years to come to terms with the misplaced guilt (in my friends case) and losing Mum. But everyone has a “time” and this is your time to live a healthy and happy life. Best wishes.
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement PenguinMum. Believe me my biggest step was in reaching out for help and support from this wonderful group. There's not a doubt in my mind that I need this help right now. It is helping me to focus on getting well rather than keep sinking lower, because . as you so rightly say .. grief is a most devastating thing to take in especially when everything comes at once. I know I will have bad days still .. it's inevitable .. but turning to the group will hold me together xx

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement PenguinMum. Believe me my biggest step was in reaching out for help and support from this wonderful group. There's not a doubt in my mind that I need this help right now. It is helping me to ficus on getting well rather than keep sinking lower, because . as you so rightly say .. grief is a most devastating thing to take in especially when everything comes at once. I know I will have bad days still .. it's inevitable .. but turning to the group will hold me together xx

APR

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear @coby. So much loss. I am so very sorry. As a bereaved parent of an only child all I can say is that you will deal with this - because you have to - and it will get easier. You may not yet see how strong you are - but we do. You've reached out, you want to get back on track. Do it for your beautiful son, do it for your mother, do it for yourself. Remember their love. Take each day as it comes. Be kind to yourself. And keep coming back here for the support you deserve.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dear @coby. So much loss. I am so very sorry. As a bereaved parent of an only child all I can say is that you will deal with this - because you have to - and it will get easier. You may not yet see how strong you are - but we do. You've reached out, you want to get back on track. Do it for your beautiful son, do it for your mother, do it for yourself. Remember their love. Take each day as it comes. Be kind to yourself. And keep coming back here for the support you deserve.
APR thank you so much for your obvious understanding of the pain. xx

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby

I'm sorry to hear all that and can understand why you went of the rails. I've struggled since Christmas and have taken my eye off the ball. My BG has remained 'normal' but I'm gaining weight.

I know I need to get back on track but I'm lacking the motivation too! I have returned to the forum and hope this will inspire me.

Suz
Hello archersuz I don't know how to contact you directly on the site (or even if I can) but I am hoping to so that we can begin our journey back to better health again as we decided.
I hope that perhaps you are more knowledgeable of the site and can perhaps contact me instead? xx