LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hardcore T1s who have been doing this for decades and know what they're talking about are just laughing at this stuff.

Get basal right, learn how to pre-bolus for a wide variety of foods, how to do corections when it goes wrong, without overcorrecting, and it's much easier without going down the insane 20g to 50g per day route which this site's fabled T1 programme, when it eventually arrives, will probably plug.

Amateurs.
Laughing at us being misled for months or that we're not perfect at managing our diabetes and like guidance? I've 3 and a half decades of diabetes under my belt, doesn't mean I'm not open to new ideas of management.

Reactions: MangosteenElbow

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Laughing at us being misled for months or that we're not perfect at managing our diabetes and like guidance? I've 3 and a half decades of diabetes under my belt, doesn't mean I'm not open to new ideas of management.

Laughing at the site's obsession with low carbing when there are many ways of dealing with moderate amounts of carbs without going Bernstein on it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More info about what's causing delays would be great. Whilst we want it to right, these false start dates are really annoying. If it's going to be a year, just tell us. And explain the delays - if we could understand what's going on, I think it would put all our minds at ease as to it not starting yet, and the reasons for multiple delays - multiple problems? Ongoing issue with hypos, something that explains it. Rather than the blank can't give info statements- so frustrating.

Lizzie - I tell you what I know. I have no intention of making things up, as that tends to come back and snap at the derriere.

I'm sorry and equally frsutrated at how long it has taken to get to the kick-off, but it will happen. I am very confident of that.

Reactions: michita

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Laughing at the site's obsession with low carbing when there are many ways of dealing with moderate amounts of carbs without going Bernstein on it.

Scott - You may feel the site is obsessed with Low Carb, but it is keen that people living with diabetes have choices and where they elect to adopt a reduced carb way of eating, there should be an information and support resource for them to do so safely. The longevity of the gestation period indicates the commitments to getting it right, with feedback from all manner of sources.

Low carbing for T2; for those not on meds, or on "gentle" meds, not significantly increasing the individual's chances of a medically concerning hypo, is relatively straightforward. For those who are otherwise healthy, it is often a case of reduce carbs, watch blood sugars reduce too. For those, for whom this has worked, it is wonderful, and it is natural they will talk about it and encourage others to give it a go; just in the same way you encourage T1s to work on their carb couting, bolus timing and so on.

For those with little or no endogenous insulin, and therefore using exogenous insulin, it gets a bit trickier, as you well know. All this site is doing is creating a programme to support those who would like to try. It's not mandatory, and I feel certain many will just give it a huge swerve. That's absolutely fine too.

Bottom line is there is no one single way to manage this portfolio condition called Diabetes, and for most people, choices are important.

Edited to correct a couple of typos - Breakfast was calling!

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Bottom line is there is no one single way to manage this portfolio condition called Diabetes, and for most people, choices are important.

It's also fair to say that there have been no studies of the long term consequences of running a body on ketones, which makes blood more acidic. Exhaling acetone? For decades? Surely nothing can go wrong with that...

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's also fair to say that there have been no studies of the long term consequences of running a body on ketones, which makes blood more acidic. Exhaling acetone? For decades? Surely nothing can go wrong with that...

Scott,

The T2 Low Carb Programme shows T2s how to manage their blood glucose at low carb levels, with low carb being below approx 130g carbs a day.

There is no reason to assume (as you seem to be doing) that the T1 Low Carb Programme be more severe by frogmarching participants into ketosis on less than 50g carbs a day. To imply that it will is simply inappropriate.

As @DCUKMod has stated (repeatedly, here and on other threads) the goal of the Programmesis to help participants manage their blood glucose levels in the way that they wish. Those who do not wish to go low carb do not need to. Everyone, whether low carb or not, can choose the carb intake that they wish.

Reactions: LizzieNI
D

Deleted Account

There is no reason to assume (as you seem to be doing) that the T1 Low Carb Programme
That is interesting.
Can you confirm that the T1 program is a "Low Carb Program"?
I know some people with T1 have found a low carb diet helps with BG management but I understood diabetes.co.uk represents and supports all people with diabetes regardless how they manage it.
As @Scott-C highlights there are other methods which have been found to be successful and had hoped the T1 program covered these.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Nobody says anyone has to go into nutritional ketosis.

For some, nutritional ketosis is important, for other, it's white noise. I have never, ever chased ketosis, although I'm certain there will have been periods when I will have been in ketosis (for example, having experimented with a brief period of carnivory, prior to fasting on a long flight).

Let's not forget the commonly accepted figure of under c130gr carb per day. I would consider it most, most unlikely that an individual would enter nutritional ketosis at 130gr of carb daily, or close to it.

As I have said, repeatedly, the objectives of this site are to support those living with diabetes (family members, carers and so on) to improve their health coutcomes, whilst respecting their dietary choices. Low carb is a valid choice, as is "normal eating", vegetarianism or whatever an individual chooses.

Of course, each individual should conduct their own research when making changes in their lives, such as to their diet or lifestyle.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is interesting.
Can you confirm that the T1 program is a "Low Carb Program"?
I know some people with T1 have found a low carb diet helps with BG management but I understood diabetes.co.uk represents and supports all people with diabetes regardless how they manage it.
As @Scott-C highlights there are other methods which have been found to be successful and had hoped the T1 program covered these.

As has been repeatedly stated by DCUKmod above, we are not in a position to give out more information than has already been posted.

It was not I who was making announcements, or assumptions, it was Scott, with his declarations that the diabetes.co.uk pushes keto onto members (as quoted below with the relevant text in red) - a statement which is fundamentally incorrect

Hardcore T1s who have been doing this for decades and know what they're talking about are just laughing at this stuff.

Get basal right, learn how to pre-bolus for a wide variety of foods, how to do corections when it goes wrong, without overcorrecting, and it's much easier without going down the insane 20g to 50g per day route which this site's fabled T1 programme, when it eventually arrives, will probably plug.

Amateurs.

D

Deleted Account

Thanks @Brunneria
My comment was in response to you describing what has, until now, be called the "T1 Program" as the "T1 Low Carb Program".
I assume this was a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Brunneria
My comment was in response to you describing the what has until now be called the "T1 Program" as the "T1 Low Carb Program".
I assume this was a typo.

Aha! yes, you are right. I am so used to writing the T2 LCP that my fingers got away with me. :)
Won't go back and correct it, otherwise the last few posts would look bizarre.

Here is a link to the DCUK page on the subject
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2018/may/diabetes.co.uks-type-1-program-is-open-for-people-to-register-92462721.html

and here is a quote from the same page

A significant number of people have achieved excellent control of type 1 diabetes through modifying their carbohydrate intake. Research studies have shown that reducing daily carb intake can be very effective in reducing HbA1c and minimising the risk of very low blood sugar.

However, a lack of available guidance has left people wary of reducing carbohydrate in type 1 diabetes.

The new program gives people with type 1 the confidence to set a level of carbohydrate that works best for their blood sugarlevels.

Last edited:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmmmmmm, as my usual daily carb intake is around 100g, I now wonder how the Type 1 Programme would help me get better results, from what has been said above. I had just presumed that the programme would involve a much lower carb intake.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmmmmmm, as my usual daily carb intake is around 100g, I now wonder how the Type 1 Programme would help me get better results, from what has been said above. I had just presumed that the programme would involve a much lower carb intake.

Dancer, it would be inappropriate of me to suggest whether or not you. or anyone else would benefit from the programme, however, I would suggest it could be worthwhile investigating, so that you can make that decision for yourself, from an informed perspective.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As has been repeatedly stated by DCUKmod above, we are not in a position to give out more information than has already been posted.

If the problem is that you or DCUKmod don't know what's going on, it might be good to get somebody who does know what's going on to comment.

Otherwise it might be a good idea especially given the time it's taken to have a rethink about the communications regarding it - complete secrecy is rarely a good thing. Being a little more open about what's going on and why would help keep those people who are interested in it engaged.

(Disclaimer : I'm not one of the people interested in this, I don't expect anything useful to come out of this, and I can imagine the problems which the team might be discovering which would prevent things happening. The communications blackout supports my opinion. For those interested in it, I suggest not pinning hopes, and try instead managing things in the way people are prepared to discuss in public eg on other threads. There is no magic.)

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aha! yes, you are right. I am so used to writing the T2 LCP that my fingers got away with me. :)
Won't go back and correct it, otherwise the last few posts would look bizarre.

Here is a link to the DCUK page on the subject
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2018/may/diabetes.co.uks-type-1-program-is-open-for-people-to-register-92462721.html

and here is a quote from the same page

A significant number of people have achieved excellent control of type 1 diabetes through modifying their carbohydrate intake. Research studies have shown that reducing daily carb intake can be very effective in reducing HbA1c and minimising the risk of very low blood sugar.

However, a lack of available guidance has left people wary of reducing carbohydrate in type 1 diabetes.

The new program gives people with type 1 the confidence to set a level of carbohydrate that works best for their blood sugarlevels.

I'll just add another quote from that same page :

"Dr Richard Bernstein and Type1Grit are among the inspirations behind the program, as well as feedback from over 40,000 members of the Low Carb Program who have type 1 diabetes."

If it ever happens, it's pretty obvious this program will be based on low carbs, and hence not for all T1Ds.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sympathetic to the moderators here who seem to be getting some flack about a programme that they are probably not responsible for. It seems to me that regardless of what method a person chooses, the mods are ALWAYS supportive and helpful where they can be. It's a thankless task sometimes that's for sure and I for one, am appreciative. I can't begin to fathom how they (mostly) manage to keep everybody happy given the diverse nature or us all and even if I choose not to follow certain ways I am always interested to see what they are and how others get on.Thank you mods. x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll just add another quote from that same page :

"Dr Richard Bernstein and Type1Grit are among the inspirations behind the program, as well as feedback from over 40,000 members of the Low Carb Program who have type 1 diabetes."

If it ever happens, it's pretty obvious this program will be based on low carbs, and hence not for all T1Ds.

Evilclive it is for those T1s who would like to investigate it. It's not in the least mandatory., and more than the T2 LCP is. I'll reiterate, it is about supporting choices.

In terms of your previous post, part of my role is to act as conduit between the forum and HO.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In terms of your previous post, part of my role is to act as conduit between the forum and HO.

Presumably you've been feeding back to HO that people are asking about this program, and are wondering what the status is? Are they saying anything more to you than "it's happening, just hold on"? Are any of them prepared to say something directly?

In the absence of any communication apart from "it's happening, just hold on", I think it's hard to deny the very strong smell of vapourware here. If anybody wants to do something about that smell, they are going to have to say more than they have done so far.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably you've been feeding back to HO that people are asking about this program, and are wondering what the status is? Are they saying anything more to you than "it's happening, just hold on"? Are any of them prepared to say something directly?

In the absence of any communication apart from "it's happening, just hold on", I think it's hard to deny the very strong smell of vapourware here. If anybody wants to do something about that smell, they are going to have to say more than they have done so far.

Of course, I feed back about all sorts of things that happen on-forum. If I knew a date (and I don't) and that was not subject to any confidentiality issues (as there is no date, there can be no confidentialty issue about sharing it), I would share it.

Clive, as you have already stated zero interest in the programme, I can't for the life of me work out what good reson you have to get so worked up about it, but thank you for your concern..

Reactions: Brunneria

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course, I feed back about all sorts of things that happen on-forum. If I knew a date (and I don't) and that was not subject to any confidentiality issues (as there is no date, there can be no confidentialty issue about sharing it), I would share it.

I'm sure you would - so we are assured that the communication channel from HO to here is working, even though nothing is being said. But what was their reaction when you said "people are asking questions"? Or did you just state that and not press for an answer?

Clive, as you have already stated zero interest in the programme, I can't for the life of me work out what good reson you have to get so worked up about it, but thank you for your concern..

I'm not worked up, I'm just being amused at what's going on with this and trying to guide you towards things the people running the program really should be doing if they want it to be taken seriously.

So far the sum total of communication for this program appears to be the announcement over a year ago, and various "watch this space" posts from people not directly involved. That is not a well-functioning program :)

I'm also trying to help those that might be pinning hopes to this program by illustrating that there is a problem with it. My message to them would be don't wait for this, but if you have questions about low carbing to help with T1D, ask away in the main threads - there's the full spectrum of opinion from people who won't do it to people who strongly recommend it, and advice will come forth.