Cadbury World

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday our family went to visit Cadbury World just outside Birmingham. It was of course a treat for our 6 year old.

It seems that Cadbury were established over 200 years ago. And are of course a household name here in the U.K. I like milk chocolate a lot, but since going LCHF I have not eaten any regular milk chocolate at all. Except yesterday where I had a 45 gram bar. But that was it. We each were given 3 x 45 gram bars apiece. So my other two have been taken up by the others in the family.

At the end of the main tour there was of course copious quantities of milk chocolate to be bought. And once upon a time I would have bought plenty.

I did enquire as to wether or not they produced a version with artificial sweetener but they do not and the only nod in that direction are the darker Bournville bars they are still pretty high in carbs all the same.

I am glad I went as there was a lot of fun to be had, on a family footing. Under the circumstances I managed to stave off my desire for chocolate despite it being awash with the stuff.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to be able to eat a 500 gm bar of Cadbury's Milk Chocolate in an evening. I haven't eaten any since becoming T2.
I've lost the taste for it now and prefer high cocoa content dark chocolate.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the idea to go on a chocolate tour this summer vacation (september), but I'm only going to go places where they have the proper dark stuff. I think I'd go mad if I was surrounded by stacks of milk chocolates only! :p

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I used to be able to eat a 500 gm bar of Cadbury's Milk Chocolate in an evening.

Once upon a time, I would do that too! :D

Not anymore, all he low carb ones now days are full of sugar alcohols and those just don't agree with my digestive system.

Reactions: babs84 and Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from a couple of squares of 85% with our morning coffee neither my wife or I like chocolate. Surely we are not the only ones, yet it seems to be a universally accepted that everyone likes chocolate. Boxes of chocolates are a standard gift, chocolate bars are a normal snack, many breakfast cereals have chocolate, deserts often feature chocolate. How did this one flavour come to be so dominant?

Reactions: coby

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I can remember going to the Cadbury factory when my 32 year old son was around 6. They used to give away a lot of chocolate samples then.....I had to inject a few times walking around the factory!!

Reactions: WuTwo

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I know two people that are allergic to chocolate. It’s prevalence as an ingredient causes real problems for them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Apart from a couple of squares of 85% with our morning coffee neither my wife or I like chocolate. Surely we are not the only ones, yet it seems to be a universally accepted that everyone likes chocolate. Boxes of chocolates are a standard gift, chocolate bars are a normal snack, many breakfast cereals have chocolate, deserts often feature chocolate. How did this one flavour come to be so dominant?
Well since people have been consuming it since about 1500 BC it's not surprising it's become quite popular is it.

"
It’s unclear exactly when cacao came on the scene or who invented it. According to Hayes Lavis, cultural arts curator for the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian, ancient Olmec pots and vessels from around 1500 B.C. were discovered with traces of theobromine, a stimulant compound found in chocolate and tea.
It’s thought the Olmecs used cacao to create a ceremonial drink. However, since they kept no written history, opinions differ on if they used cacao beans in their concoctions or just the pulp of the cacao pod."

https://www.history.com/topics/ancient-americas/history-of-chocolate

M

Member496333

Never been a lover of milk chocolate. Or anything sweet, really. I got my diabetes from healthy whole grains and an inability to get fat. I went through a phase a few months ago where I was enjoying 100% cocoa chocolate, but I’ve moved past that now, as it was becoming too moreish. Fortunately for me, anything made by Cadbury has no appeal at all. Not even if you put a plate of it in front of me.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Put it this way Listlad, you're not missing much! We grew up with Cadbury's choc (Easter eggs, etc) and they used to taste lovely...fast forward to when Cadbury's got taken over (by Kraft I think) and the chocolate now tastes horrible, sickly, saccharine taste, oily and an aftertaste on the tongue. Yuk. If you're looking for a bit of choc there are far better options available than some not so cheap, sugary RUBBISH.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

I have never had a tour of a chocolate factory, years ago I did a tour of Arnotts biscuit factory in Brisbane we ate a shed load of stuff there, mostly Tim Tams.

Whenever we go to see friends on the Sunshine Coast we call into the Ginger Factory at Yandina, you can see them crystallising ginger which is similar to watching grass grow.

Plenty of samples to try in the shop, chocolate ginger, ginger in syrup, crystallised ginger etc.which I now cannot eat as it sends my bgl higher than bananas.

I have toured the Bundaberg rum distillery a couple of times as well.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
I agree with you Mr_Pot, and I used to dislike dark chocolate but I now only have the 90 per cent (one .. sometimes two squares) in the evening. I break the square up into fragments and let each one melt in my mouth Delicious!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm a sucker for the co op dark chocolate with raspberry two squares approximately 11gm of carb.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Yesterday our family went to visit Cadbury World just outside Birmingham. It was of course a treat for our 6 year old.

I am glad I went as there was a lot of fun to be had, on a family footing. Under the circumstances I managed to stave off my desire for chocolate despite it being awash with the stuff.

Hi Listlad, Nestle do a Darkmilk chocolate bar, cant remember the exact carbs- but two generous squares are delicious. Not sure if you will find this helpful, or a temptation:shifty:

Reactions: Ceebee2

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Put it this way Listlad, you're not missing much! We grew up with Cadbury's choc (Easter eggs, etc) and they used to taste lovely...fast forward to when Cadbury's got taken over (by Kraft I think) and the chocolate now tastes horrible, sickly, saccharine taste, oily and an aftertaste on the tongue. Yuk. If you're looking for a bit of choc there are far better options available than some not so cheap, sugary RUBBISH.

Two peoples posts made me laugh in particular and they were Prem’s and KKK’s

@Prem51 that reminds me of me. Chomping my way through huge bars of CDM in the past.

@KK123 CDM is eaten by so much of the population and exported overseas too.

I noticed the same thing ie the lack of taste in more recent years compared to the more distant past and thought that for some time until someone pointed out that it might be that my taste buds are shot lol.

My favourite chocolate includes Toblerone, Lindt and Swedish Marabou. My wife likes Hershey’s Kisses.

Thing of the past for me though. For the nipper it was a great day out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KK123

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never had a tour of a chocolate factory, years ago I did a tour of Arnotts biscuit factory in Brisbane we ate a shed load of stuff there, mostly Tim Tams.

Whenever we go to see friends on the Sunshine Coast we call into the Ginger Factory at Yandina, you can see them crystallising ginger which is similar to watching grass grow.

Plenty of samples to try in the shop, chocolate ginger, ginger in syrup, crystallised ginger etc.which I now cannot eat as it sends my bgl higher than bananas.

I have toured the Bundaberg rum distillery a couple of times as well.
I intended to do the Bushmill’s whiskey tour in Northern Ireland a few years back but unfortunately arrived just after closing time having spent some time at the Giants Causeway.

D

Deleted member 308541

I intended to do the Bushmill’s whiskey tour in Northern Ireland a few years back but unfortunately arrived just after closing time having spent some time at the Giants Causeway.
You had your priorities wrong there. :D