Libre Sensor Issues

KateBaggins81

Quick question... has anyone had issues with the libra sensor not sticking properly? Twice i’ve had it put on by (or under supervision of) the disbetic nurse & both times it has come straight off again within a matter of hours (or in today’s case) pretty much straight away.

I have applied it 1 time completely on my own & that time it stuck for the 2 weeks. I was able to do everything and no movement.

I’m self funding until the end of the month when i will be prescribed it.

Any advice or help would be most appreciated xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @KateBaggins81 I've had issues with it in the past and each time it's fallen off i've contacted Abbott who have replaced it, if the adhesive is inadequate then it's a faulty sensor so needs replacing, Abbott are fine in doing this but you will need to send back the faulty sensor in the prepaid envelope they send you.

Reactions: KateBaggins81

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @KateBaggins81 luckily I have never had an issue with the Libre falling off, they seem to stick to me like limpets :)
As JuicyJ has said give Abbotts a call they will replace and will more than likely need the old sensors back.

D

Deleted Account

I have had a couple of sensors come off but not as quickly as you. And Abbot have replaced it both times.

The usual reason is that it is knocked.
I find it is better if I place it as far under my arm as possible rather than at the back. It is less likely to be knocked and flexing my arm (I sometimes lift weights) is less likely to flex the sensor.

I wonder if your arm is completely dry when the sensor is applied.
Some people stick their's in place with something like tagaderm or apply SkinTac to their arm before the sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:

KateBaggins81

I have had a couple of sensors come off but not as quickly as you. And Abbot have replaced it bot times.

The usual reason is that it is knocked.
I find it is better if I place it as far under my arm as possible rather than at the back. It is less likely to be knocked and flexing my arm (I sometimes lift weights) is less likely to flex the sensor.

I wonder if your arm is completely dry when the sensor is applied.
Some people stick their's in place with something like tagaderm or apply SkinTac to their arm before the sensor.

Thats a good idea!! I didn’t know they did stuff like that but i’m off to my chemist now so will ask

Reactions: Kim Possible

Bucksgirl

I use the wipe provided, wait for it to thoroughly dry, then apply skin tac solution and then the libre. If the sensor looks like it’s coming away, I put a tegaderm dressing 6cm x 7cm. Never lost one since. Good luck: it’s a game changer!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@helensaramay Could you possibly explain a bit more where exactly you put the sensors? I also train with weights, and I struggle to find a part of my arm that doesn't have muscle that flexes. On the other hand, my first sensor I applied towards the back of my arm, but then got low readings at night which I think may have been caused by my lying on it (I mostly sleep on my back.)

D

Deleted Account

@helensaramay Could you possibly explain a bit more where exactly you put the sensors? I also train with weights, and I struggle to find a part of my arm that doesn't have muscle that flexes. On the other hand, my first sensor I applied towards the back of my arm, but then got low readings at night which I think may have been caused by my lying on it (I mostly sleep on my back.)
This is probably best described with a photo of my pasty white, paint splattered arm.
As you can see, I am not mega toned and don't lift very heavy weights but find this placement is ideal for bicep curls, lat pull-downs chest presses and climbing - my body weight is probably the heaviest weight I "lift".

Attachments

• IMG_20190703_123731.jpg
    IMG_20190703_123731.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 314

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is probably best described with a photo of my pasty white, paint splattered arm.
As you can see, I am not mega toned and don't lift very heavy weights but find this placement is ideal for bicep curls, lat pull-downs chest presses and climbing - my body weight is probably the heaviest weight I "lift".
Thanks very much. In my experience body weight can be a huge challenge. For example I love using the assisted pullup machine at my gym, but am unable to do even one body weight pullup.

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can anyone suggest best thing to stop it coming unstuck through moisture? I don't usually have any issues on a day to day basis but have now lost 2 after a very sweaty exercise class! Sorry gross I know but a girl's gotta try lose a few pounds lol!! Tia x

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can anyone suggest best thing to stop it coming unstuck through moisture? I don't usually have any issues on a day to day basis but have now lost 2 after a very sweaty exercise class! Sorry gross I know but a girl's gotta try lose a few pounds lol!! Tia x
Skintac,
Tegaderm, or similiar
Kinsology Tape, aka Rock tape (cheapest option) which I recommend ;)
Good luck

Reactions: lmsk

lmsk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Skintac,
Tegaderm, or similiar
Kinsology Tape, aka Rock tape (cheapest option) which I recommend ;)
Good luck
Thanks will try that out for next class. Is this something worth ringing them for a replacement? I get them on prescription so wasn't sure if they would? B-)

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks will try that out for next class. Is this something worth ringing them for a replacement? I get them on prescription so wasn't sure if they would? B-)
Hi @lmsk
Abbott claim the sensors will remain stuck to the skin while swimming etc so I suggest it's worth contacting them and explaining what's happening. Don't be surprised if they come up with a variety of excuses indicating they don't want to take responsibility. However, keep calm and pleasant with them to get the best outcome ;)

I believe some at Abbott are OK, and even encourage, applying things like Tegaderm to secure the sensor but then another representative will say not to secure them with anything. See how you go and 'go with the flow', if you see what I mean.

Many people have issues with the stickiness which may well be to do with skin type ie oily skin, hairy, sweat heavily etc.

There are various places online selling arm bands specifically designed for the Libre sensor. I actually made myself some arm bands using Tubigrip (off a roll) and sewing velcro so I could fasten it around my arm but not to constrict my arm. I would be wary about a band too tight, Tubigrip etc in case of causing circulation issues and even blood clot. Maybe I'm over-cautious but that's my take on it ;)

Apologies for brevity in my previous post - I was in a rush so written very much in haste! It wasn't meant to sound 'off' in any way, so I hope no one thought I was being abrupt or rude ;)

Reactions: lmsk