What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Ate a low carb bit of sponge cake before bed - no idea why, it wasn’t even very nice.
Thanks to @geefull @Krystyna23040 @PenguinMum @Viv19 and @gennepher for sympathetic and friendly responses to yesterday’s post on my daughter. Her next appt is Wed.
Today we are going to the Newquay carnival which my 6yo granddaughter is leading as part of her prize for winning her school’s Good Citizen Award. I asked her what she’d done to win such a prestigious award. She said it was for “sitting nicely” (No mean feat for a very wiggly little girl)

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw cumbs ive had the opposite went up to see benidorms cross up the mountain dont do too well with heights had abit of a panic attack bloods went up to 17 .8 w.t.f

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.5 this morning but I had 2 bottles of wine last night hic!
I've walked a mile and swam 40 lengths to make up for it giving myself a 5.4.

My children are dragging me to a trampoline park this afternoon, 8ve not decided if I'm taking part or spectating yet. Feeling too old for jumping lol.

One day a couple of years ago I was walking down one of the long corridors in my apartment building, feeling so energetic that I decided to try cantering, the way I used to love doing when I was a kid (and young adult). I took two strides, caught my foot on the carpet, and nearly fell flat on my face.

But I didn't feel silly. And I keep wanting to try it again.

I am 66, BTW. :)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One day a couple of years ago I was walking down one of the long corridors in my apartment building, feeling so energetic that I decided to try cantering, the way I used to love doing when I was a kid (and young adult). I took two strides, caught my foot on the carpet, and nearly fell flat on my face.

My advice is canter to your hearts content...after all you are old enough to do as you please...just look out for rugs and things that jump out at you.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brilliant Saskia. Keep on cantering, it’s good for the soul. Your post has brought a huge smile to my face, if I saw a 66yo woman cantering down a corridor it would definitely be up there with all my best and happiest life experiences.
Have you seen Miranda Hart (British comedienne) on galloping?

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant Saskia. Keep on cantering, it’s good for the soul. Your post has brought a huge smile to my face, if I saw a 66yo woman cantering down a corridor it would definitely be up there with all my best and happiest life experiences.
Have you seen Miranda Hart (British comedienne) on galloping?

No -- I had not heard of her. Is she on YouTube, I wonder?

I did see a hilarious video several years ago of Dawn French and Jen Saunders trying to ride ponies.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope your daughter receives better news on her next appointment. As others have said now that she has a diagnosis she can start receiving the right treatment for it
5.8 this morning. Ate a low carb bit of sponge cake before bed - no idea why, it wasn’t even very nice.
Thanks to @geefull @Krystyna23040 @PenguinMum @Viv19 and @gennepher for sympathetic and friendly responses to yesterday’s post on my daughter. Her next appt is Wed.
Today we are going to the Newquay carnival which my 6yo granddaughter is leading as part of her prize for winning her school’s Good Citizen Award. I asked her what she’d done to win such a prestigious award. She said it was for “sitting nicely” (No mean feat for a very wiggly little girl)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 this one?

lol.gif

Viv19

Second childhood :))

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Aw cumbs ive had the opposite went up to see benidorms cross up the mountain dont do too well with heights had abit of a panic attack bloods went up to 17 .8 w.t.f

Jeepers Karen take care my friend

Reactions: karen8967

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Congratulations to your granddaughter! That is a major feat.

I hope the Wednesday appointment will go well for your daughter and that she will get all questions answered.

Sometimes, for me, any kind of cake, sponge or not, good or not, is just necessary. Especially with a cold glass of milk, or, if I can hold out 'til morning, hot coffee at breakfast. Sometimes you just gotta have it. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I used to be ok with heights
But of late I refused to go up to the top of Blackpool Tower

I've never been OK with heights. On a horse in an English saddle (no horn), horse puts his head down, I think I'm gonna slip off down his neck.
High diving boards -- nope.
Jumping out of airplanes -- fun.

I don't get it either.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope your daughter receives better news on her next appointment. As others have said now that she has a diagnosis she can start receiving the right treatment for it

Thanks Pavlosn it’ll be a worrying few days for us all but at least we should get closer to being able to manage her condition somehow.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations to your granddaughter! That is a major feat.

I hope the Wednesday appointment will go well for your daughter and that she will get all questions answered.

Sometimes, for me, any kind of cake, sponge or not, good or not, is just necessary. Especially with a cold glass of milk, or, if I can hold out 'til morning, hot coffee at breakfast. Sometimes you just gotta have it. :)

Thanks Saskia. I think the sponge cake was necessary at the time but I won’t be repeating it anytime soon. Agree about cake and coffee.

The carnival today was great, loads of people, the sun was shining and to add a slightly surreal aspect I ended up marching at the front with the mayor and Young Citizens award winners. I’d happened to be sitting at the meeting point for the award winners before the start while the others were dropping the older granddaughter off with her school carnival group. One of the organisers came to me with a big banner and said I should hold it up and lead the procession when it started in a few minutes. I tried explaining I wasn’t involved but he said the banner was too big and heavy for the children who’d won the Young Citizens awards so I’d have to take it!
The funniest bit was marching at the start and seeing my youngest daughter and her boyfriend in the crowd where they’d come to watch. Seeing her do a double take and mouth ‘what on earth are you doing there??’ Was priceless.