Benefits of Meditation...

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
I am a big believer in Meditation to aid health. I was taught how to Meditate in Spiritual Church and have never looked back.
Then in later life I was taught Tail-Chi and the movements of Qigong or Chi Gung to keep active.
So you have Passive or Active meditations. I know it all seems a bit ( new age) for some people. But don't knock it till you have tried it.
If you are interested I recommend Youtube as a great resource. You can sit at your computer with eyes closed and follow the narration.
Or stand and move with the qigong masters to get moving..
benefits-of-meditation.jpg

Opalshards

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars, thieves, users, cruelty, doing the washing up. Lol
:rolleyes:Ah a fellow believer.

AgaRosa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to hear that you guys are meditating too! Have been doing it for two years every day now and am definitely seeing the benefits - foe example reduced my blood pressure medication from 100 to 25mm (and had been on high doses for 10 years prior), am also much happier overall which helps with diabetes (reduced stress etc). Do you know the Insight Timer app? It has hundreds of great guided meditations. I would also recommend Sandy Newbigging's 'Body Calm' CD - fantastic! Keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-T710 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

poemagraphic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
WIFI, Mobile phones. Smart metres... in fact anything 'smart'
From an Old Age Hippy I must concur!

Meditation rocks!

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I use the Insight Timer app every night. It has some great guided meditations, and a really easy to use filter. Or, on other nights I'll just set the timer.

Like many things in life, the more regular the practice the greater the benefits achieved, I feel.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pranayama (yogic breathing exercises) are very calming. I chant mantras for meditation which help me greatly.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@lucylocket61 - what does celtic meditation involve please? Is there any great difference between it and buddhist meditation?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 - what does celtic meditation involve please? Is there any great difference between it and buddhist meditation?
In Celtic meditation I select a scripture or a short passage of words from a Saint, and spent time in silence reflecting on it, repeating it slowly, as often or as little as I wish, and let my mind focus on the words. I am usually sitting on the floor, cross legged. I often light a candle too, to help me concentrate on a fixed point. Sometimes I have my eyes closed.

Sometimes it involves just visualising Christ on the Cross, with me sitting at His feet, in silence and oneness with Him.

Can you tell me about Buddhist meditation please? I welcome expanding my knowledge and trying new (to me) ideas.

Reactions: WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

At the moment my focus is Tonglen meditation. This involves breathing in the pain of others - starting with one known well to me, then an acquaintance, then a stranger, expanding outwards all the time to someone I clash with, and groups. Each time I breathe in, I breathe in their pain. Every outbreath sends love, healing and warmth.

It is hardest when working with strangers, or people with whom I clash, but their pain is valid too and deserves comfort.

Another week I might moved back to mindfulness, so that I don't lose sight of me, where I am, what I am and this moment. For that I start with a part of my body, and gradually move round my body and each time I listen to it - for discomfort, for pain, for how much of a distraction it is. Slowly I encompass my whole body in this moment, this now, so that I am wholly and totally focussed on the now.

Finally - there are times when I rest in the Presence, and am renewed.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I am sat in the lotus posture, upright but relaxed, breathing in through my nose, out through my mouth. Eyes relaxed and closed.

It is very comfortable for me, but not necessary by any means. Any comfortable posture is fine.

Reactions: lucylocket61

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

In so many ways, whar we do is the same I think. We just have different words for it.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Also I like guided meditations with teachers whose advice/guidance really helps me. I use Insight Timer app and have five teachers who each help me to understand different things, but in the same way - through meditation. They have helped me enormoously.