woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Are olives ok for us on low carb?

Trying my best to make my food less boring and whilst I don’t particularly like them on their own they are doable cooked.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are olives ok for us on low carb?

Trying my best to make my food less boring and whilst I don’t particularly like them on their own they are doable cooked.
Well they are low carb try the stuffed ones with lemon or garlic they are lush

Reactions: Rose22 and Prem51

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Take a jar of green olives, drain them add strips of, or grated, lemon zest, cardamom seeds, husks removed, and extra virgin olive oil seal and leave to marinade for as long as you can resist them.

Take a jar of green olives, drain them add a mix of tomato puree, minced garlic, and extra virgin olive oil seal and leave to marinade as above. Sun-dried tomato can be added if you wish.

Eat with salamis, cold meats, cheeses, salad, and, if so inclined, a cold dry white wine.

Reactions: mojo37 and Prem51

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I bought Tesco Lemon ones not stuffed just marinade. Also bought some tiny stuffed peppers.

I have to start enjoying food.

Before diagnosis and well before then because it had vanished in the months before. I used to batch cook and eat it for the week.
I have no interest in cooking now and really struggle. Don’t know why I just can’t be bothered.

But that attitude isn’t helping.

Today went to local garden centre (blimey the price) and bought pork chops and mince.

The idea being I can make my own sausages (without skin but also not processed) and reduce amount of bacon (not helping with thirst) to have at breakfast.

The chops are for tonight to be roasted with tomatoes (from garden centre) some cauliflower and broccoli cheese (from 8 week sugar diet) some salad and the little peppers and olives. Will roast with butter.
Oh and some coleslaw

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like the pitted black olives. Green ones are too salty for me.
If I buy black olives which are too salty I drain them and leave them in a container of tapwater to lose some of the salt.
Olives are about 3 gms of carbs per 100 gms.

Reactions: oopsupside

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I like the pitted black olives. Green ones are too salty for me.
If I buy black olives which are too salty I drain them and leave them in a container of tapwater to lose some of the salt.
Olives are about 3 gms of carbs per 100 gms.

Oooh that’s a good idea. I do find them way too salty but I’m trying to force myself to like them. I’ve had to start eating fat so am sure I can manage olives.
The shaking might work. Ended up with green today (I know zilch about olives)

One was stuffed with pimenta (pimento) no idea what that is so avoided it lol

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I do love me some olives.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven’t had chilli con carne fir years. Might try this in the winter

Chilli is a great slow cooker meal, which I would have thought would suit your lifestyle perfectly, and the olives don't break down , unlike some pulses do.

I tend to use this recipe, adding olives, although I use my electrric pressure cooker, then leave it on keep-warm setting to "mature".

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-chili-in-crock-pot-or-instant-pot-paleo-gluten-free/

First time I made i, I ws very concerned about the apparent lack of liquid, but it's absolutely fine, and very thick, without the use of thickeners when finished. I also usually only do half the recipe, and freeze what isn't eaten first time around.

D

Deleted member 308541

I eat both black and green olives as they are low carb according to the nutrition label on the back of the jar.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
One was stuffed with pimenta (pimento) no idea what that is so avoided it lol
Pimento is a Cherry Pepper, sweetish in taste. It's dried to make paprika.
Fairly low carb, 5 gm of carbs per 100 gm.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Chilli is a great slow cooker meal, which I would have thought would suit your lifestyle perfectly, and the olives don't break down , unlike some pulses do.

I tend to use this recipe, adding olives, although I use my electrric pressure cooker, then leave it on keep-warm setting to "mature".

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/recipes/low-carb-chili-in-crock-pot-or-instant-pot-paleo-gluten-free/

First time I made i, I ws very concerned about the apparent lack of liquid, but it's absolutely fine, and very thick, without the use of thickeners when finished. I also usually only do half the recipe, and freeze what isn't eaten first time around.

Thanks.
I do have a slow cooker so this would be ideal.
Just need to work out how to save it in here

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.
I do have a slow cooker so this would be ideal.
Just need to work out how to save it in here

Just go to the link posted, and save it as a bookmark. The blog auther does some fantastic stuff.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate olives for years before I was diabetic and have happily continued to do so since diagnosis. Not only are they nice and low carb, but like avocados they're a good source of "vegetable" fats/oils. They're one of my go-to foods and can be used with all sorts of dishes, hot or cold.

If I have a jar of olives in salty brine, I'll usually tip this out and replace with olive oil.

Robbity

Reactions: Pasha