Success At Local Surgery

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We already know of a good working model in a nearby region. This it what is up for review at my local surgeries. This will all become clearer in due course. Next meeting on the very topic of T2 Diabetes Champion will be next week.
Would be interested to know the outcome, Have heard of the of subject champions within education but not in respect the health service other than when you mentioned it.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have heard of the of subject champions within education....

I have come across it in industry as in product champion or subject matter champion. On this occasion it was the NHS Administrator that coined the term.

Our meeting is in a few days.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I met Debandez. The first thing you notice is how tall and slim Debandez is. And then the fantastic enthusiasm for the cause of helping people who have T2 diabetes.

Thanks @Debandez for the time and effort in driving over today to meet the lady who is trying to organise things on behalf of our two local surgeries. I believe she will go back to both sets of GP’s and address their question of how.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I met Debandez. The first thing you notice is how tall and slim Debandez is. And then the fantastic enthusiasm for the cause of helping people who have T2 diabetes.

Thanks @Debandez for the time and effort in driving over today to meet the lady who is trying to organise things on behalf of our two local surgeries. I believe she will go back to both sets of GP’s and address their question of how.
It was an absolute pleasure. I'm more than happy to do anything that helps spread the word. I received a very warm welcome.

You can see immediately how organised this surgery is as soon as you enter into the foyer. They seem extremely pt focused and obviously are to invite me in for a chat about how they can support pts with diabetes and also those pts who might want to lose a few lbs. Looking forward to taking this forward with your help. I will chase up my leaflet and see what stage we are at. Handing it out to newly dx pts would be a great start. Also to pts who have struggled along with t2d mfor some time. It just feels like a step in the right direction to me.

Lovely to meet you too.

Deb

Reactions: jjraak

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was an absolute pleasure. I'm more than happy to do anything that helps spread the word. I received a very warm welcome.

You can see immediately how organised this surgery is as soon as you enter into the foyer. They seem extremely pt focused and obviously are to invite me in for a chat about how they can support pts with diabetes and also those pts who might want to lose a few lbs. Looking forward to taking this forward with your help. I will chase up my leaflet and see what stage we are at. Handing it out to newly dx pts would be a great start. Also to pts who have struggled along with t2d mfor some time. It just feels like a step in the right direction to me.

Lovely to meet you too.

Deb
I am going to call her Mrs W.

Mrs W seems very pleased with your ideas. I also have had dialogue today with the chairman of our PPG and he is going to include the gist of our meeting yesterday amongst the PPG meeting minutes retrospectively. So the GPs at the PPG meeting will see it too. He seemed to approve of what you and your surgery are doing on patients helping patients.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to call her Mrs W.

Mrs W seems very pleased with your ideas. I also have had dialogue today with the chairman of our PPG and he is going to include the gist of our meeting yesterday amongst the PPG meeting minutes retrospectively. So the GPs at the PPG meeting will see it too. He seemed to approve of what you and your surgery are doing on patients helping patients.
Great way to get the GPs on board. No news on my leaflet yet but I know it's really busy at the moment. If I dont hear anything by mid week next week I will chase it up. I feel being able to hand this out to newly diagnosed pts would be really beneficial. Seeing a fellow diabetic on the leaflet, hearing diabetes doesn't have to be such a negative in your life, details of support groups on there (something I didnt get on dx!). It all helps.

Reactions: Redshank

Gail1947

Double the reason to celebrate right now.

Firstly Type 2 Diabetes Reversal is now on the local Patient Participation Group agenda this Monday afternoon. This will give me an opportunity to present the case for dispensing with the Eatwell programme as a means of reversing T2 diabetes and bringing in across the board the low carb alternatives.

Secondly and simultaneously, work has been going on at administrative level to go about replicating the work being carried out in Debandez’s surgery only a few miles away in the Fylde region. Favourable responses (from GP’s and practice managers) have been received on the idea of providing support to the two local surgeries in my town, to those needing support on dealing with T2 diabetes. They are now looking at how this can be achieved in practice.

This represents major progress and exciting times in this area.
My husband and I have been on the lowcarb highfat diet for a year now. I have lost over two stones, never been hungry and my type 2 has gone into remission! No more meds. Hubby has lost 4 stones never had diabetes according to the Dr but he has areas of the bottom of his foot that have no feeling? I have tingling in my hands when I use my walking stick. My left leg has a nerve problem. My MRI was inconclusive regarding a trapped nerve but the consultant was not really open to my hubbies suggestion that it could be neuropathy because of the type 2. Our last visit to the doctors was not good. We told him about our diet and got some very sarcastic comments about loosing muscle was the best we could hope for but then what do I know I am only the doctor. We get the feeling that the time they spent training to be a doctor is set in stone and cannot be changed. We now agree with all that the doctors say and just don’t take the meds.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You might experience less resistance to your ideas if you initially pitched them as 'an alternative approach which has been shown to be more suitable for some people' rather than going straight for the jugular by advocating 'dispensing with' the Eatwell guide. If the GPs see success with low carb, they are then more likely to suggest it to their patients.
I'm currently working with my surgery on an alternative way to deal with controlling bs. Developing a leaflet. Currently 4 pages of a4 one page being similar to dr unwins visual sugars in common foods 1st page my story with photo as makes it more real, diabetic to diabetic (one of many who are now in remission), shopping list page and a typical week examples. Its tackling it from a low carb approach as' proving very successful in diabetic community'! The fact that the guidelines going back to 1936 were lchf! Beggars belief really how we got to this. Hoping the leaflet will fo down well with drs and HCPs at my 2 surgeries. Then I intend winging it all over the world (I dream big!). Will be hand delivering locally after making appointments with PMs with links to our success stories booklet, 100 stone lost and diabetes ass whooped doc etc. I have the backing of my surgery which is a brilliant starting point. I will be taking a couple of months off work shortly to concentrate on doing something with the diabetes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190215-064525_Word.jpg
    Screenshot_20190215-064525_Word.jpg
    713.7 KB · Views: 406
Reactions: jjraak

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that there is total agreement that "drinking suger is bad" yet many people with type2 still drink fruit joice as they think it is natural. There is also agreement that people do better when they advoid ready meals (and takeaways) cooking their all food instead. Hence it may be worth first talking about these in the leaflet before moving on to lowcarb.
I've included what to avoid. The usual culprits and fruit juice us included.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not relevant but should you decide to look at diets recommended to diabetics from an historical perspective, I have a copy of a weight reducing plan given to my mum for her diabetes dated 6/4/89. The word "diabetic" has been added in front of the title Weight Reducing Diet, so it looks like it was not solely intended for diabetics.

Reactions: Debandez

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm currently working with my surgery on an alternative way to deal with controlling bs. Developing a leaflet. Currently 4 pages of a4 one page being similar to dr unwins visual sugars in common foods 1st page my story with photo as makes it more real, diabetic to diabetic (one of many who are now in remission), shopping list page and a typical week examples. Its tackling it from a low carb approach as' proving very successful in diabetic community'! The fact that the guidelines going back to 1936 were lchf! Beggars belief really how we got to this. Hoping the leaflet will fo down well with drs and HCPs at my 2 surgeries. Then I intend winging it all over the world (I dream big!). Will be hand delivering locally after making appointments with PMs with links to our success stories booklet, 100 stone lost and diabetes ass whooped doc etc. I have the backing of my surgery which is a brilliant starting point. I will be taking a couple of months off work shortly to concentrate on doing something with the diabetes.
I believe the leaflet will be very welcome here too.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably not relevant but should you decide to look at diets recommended to diabetics from an historical perspective, I have a copy of a weight reducing plan given to my mum for her diabetes dated 6/4/89. The word "diabetic" has been added in front of the title Weight Reducing Diet, so it looks like it was not solely intended for diabetics.
Sounds like an interesting document.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sent everything to my PM. Will let you know if its binned or it moves on to next stage = print!
Please don’t bin it. Mrs W is very interested. I have just emailed her to encourage her to pool resources.

Last edited:
Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don’t bin it. Mrs W is very interested. I have just emailed her to encourage her to pool resources.
Wouldn't dream of it, I was joking. Admin at surgery working on it this afternoon.

Reactions: Listlad

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That would be very interesting

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Its really just printed sections of what to eat and what not to eat and then a customized dietary plan. I haven't compared it to the Eatwell plan but I suspect its a predecessor. Low fat, High fibre. I remember using this back in the day when I was trying to lose weight. I've posted a copy of the document below. I've left off the first page as all it contained was the name of the Health Authority, a paragraph talking about being overweight being bad for you and my mum's name and the date..

dietinfo1.jpeg dietinfo2.jpeg dietinfo3.jpeg

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I have been on the lowcarb highfat diet for a year now. I have lost over two stones, never been hungry and my type 2 has gone into remission! No more meds. Hubby has lost 4 stones never had diabetes according to the Dr but he has areas of the bottom of his foot that have no feeling? I have tingling in my hands when I use my walking stick. My left leg has a nerve problem. My MRI was inconclusive regarding a trapped nerve but the consultant was not really open to my hubbies suggestion that it could be neuropathy because of the type 2. Our last visit to the doctors was not good. We told him about our diet and got some very sarcastic comments about loosing muscle was the best we could hope for but then what do I know I am only the doctor. We get the feeling that the time they spent training to be a doctor is set in stone and cannot be changed. We now agree with all that the doctors say and just don’t take the meds.
You have both done incredibly well. You must feel wonderful.

Re the dr saying your husband isnt diabetic, was this the hba1c reading following thev4 stone weight loss or previous readings?

It makes my heart sink when I read about the reactions of drs and HCPs. When i told mine i had 'reversed' mine and how I did it (lchf) he told me I could have done the same with low cal or low fat. At one point he thrust his very large cup at me 'dont confuse Google with my medical degree'. Then he randomly switched to talking about his potato farming!!! I emailed my surgery after this appointment and asked for figures on how many had 'reversed' and it came back after all 3 DNs consulted together as.......just me! Apart from bariatric pts!!! It makes me so mad! One lady at my local diabetic meeting was so upset this week. After years of battling her t2d and going on more and more meds she is now going on insulin. They gave her a testing kit. She had NEVER used one in all the years as they are discouraged (apparently mine said to me, 'it can lead to obsessively testing', you couldn't make it up). We are really up against it aren't we?

Reactions: Redshank and ringi

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry to hear that @Gail1947

Sad that those we should trust, because of their intransigence end up being untrusted.

Having their help with our Ailment, with the most CURRENT up to date treatment ,
i would say IS a basic Human Right,
And no more then we deserve....change can't come soon enough for me.

And going great Guns, @Debandez , @Listlad and Co.

The walls of Jericho came tumbling down eventually,
i'm sure those health castle walls will come down as well with your help and initiatives.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its really just printed sections of what to eat and what not to eat and then a customized dietary plan. I haven't compared it to the Eatwell plan but I suspect its a predecessor. Low fat, High fibre. I remember using this back in the day when I was trying to lose weight. I've posted a copy of the document below. I've left off the first page as all it contained was the name of the Health Authority, a paragraph talking about being overweight being bad for you and my mum's name and the date..

View attachment 34386 View attachment 34387 View attachment 34388

That is just Pants for a T2D
your poor old mum.

No wonder no one ever seemed to get better back in the day.
Hurrah for the DCUK..:D