Seeking diet plan

kzlorenz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I have been looking for a moderate-low carb diet plan for weight loss. I am type 1.
Can you suggest where to get one?

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Tagging in @Mel dCP @helensaramay @MeiChanski @becca59 - mainly because you're all type 1's and might have an idea of helpful plans, books, websites etc?

I can't help much - I follow a moderate carb diet but given that it''s vegan I wouldn't offer it an an option to anyone not specifically interested in it.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys, I have been looking for a moderate-low carb diet plan for weight loss. I am type 1.
Can you suggest where to get one?

Hi and welcome @kzlorenz :D

You will find many, many members, of all diabetes types, discussing the pros and cons of different weight loss regimes around here. :)

Regarding going mod-low carb as a T1, this is perfectly doable - so long as you are confident about matching your insulin to the carb content of your food. If you are OK with that, then you can just switch to lower carb intake.

I've read lots of posts by T1s doing this, and some choose to reduce their carbs gradually, while others choose to do it more quickly. It all comes down to personal choice, but if you are concerned about hypos and rapid blood glucose changes, then the gradual carb reduction may be an easier entry route into mod-low carb.

There are plenty of diet plans around for people who want to go keto, but I won't mention them, because that is clearly not your goal.

However, I had a quick google and found that the Diabetes UK charity have a PDF that offers a 7 day meal planner offering between 90 and 120 g carbs spread throughout the day. Might be worth a look.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/resources-s3/2018-01/7-Day Low Carb Meal Planner_Update Jan 18.pdf

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @kzlorenz I haven't come across a low carb diet as such, however www.dietdoctor.com is a gold mine of ideas and free too. Combining exercise you enjoy doing and moderate to low carb is a good plan, just keep a close eye on your bg levels and adjusting insulin to cope with a change in both diet and exercise.

Reactions: Goonergal

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag @WuTwo
Hello @kzlorenz, I too, haven't come across any moderate low carb diets.

Have you asked your diabetes team for their dietitian? My dietitian was helpful, engaged with my weight and created a plan based on the carbs and cals books. I'm assuming you know how to carb count and adjust insulin for meals, so low carb would be one way of losing weight - like 80/20 - 80% diet, 20% exercise or 70/30.
However, I've been enjoying the intuitive eating idea, if your BG is good, fairly stable and doesn't have as many hypos and hypers, it could be another way to lose weight. It is essentially eating when you are hungry (this doesn't apply if you hypo, hypos needed to be treated) and not feel guilty for having a treat, so lots of meal planning.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would also like to add, again if you're carb counting and adjusting insulin, you can adapt to some of the recipes that T2s are doing. I've been enjoying my vegan coffee and cream in the mornings and not feel hungry for a good few hours until lunch.

Reactions: WuTwo

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @kzlorenz,
From my reading, not as health care professional advice:
Going back a step or two:
Have you had your height and weight checked, your Body Mass Index calculated and healthy weight range given to you?
And are you outside this range and in fact above the range?

Trying to lose weight is tricky when on insulin injections.
Discussing things with your doctor or nurse in this regard is important.
You may need to see a dietitian to obtain a diet program.

Personally I have found a low carb diet helps to maintain or lose weight and se dietdoctor.com for further info - but the proviso of seeking advice about insulin doses still applies.
Best Wishes,

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @kitedoc on about the weighing yourself side, but I'd suggest a scales that weighs your muscle and fat ratios. You can be more muscly and not as juicy. Then with that in mind, you can make a plan. BMI isn't accurate for everyone because it can say you're over weight when you're an athlete. Unless you're planning to be a sumo wrestler who eats 15,000 calories to compete. :hilarious:

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dip Diet Includes Consumption Of Fruit And Juice Along With Coconut Water For Three Days.

Hi, can you tell me what the typical intake of the DIP diet is please. ?
Breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I have non diabetic late reactive hypoglycaemia and I'm interested in trying to be as low carb as possible and want to try and eat less meat.
I also have a few intolerance to dairy and starchy vegetables.
I do also have to be careful with fruit.

Can you help?

Prachishah

Low carbohydrate diets can be very effective for weight loss. condensing carbs tends to reduce your appetite and cause automatic weight loss, or weight loss without the need to count calories. For some people, a low-carb diet allows them to eat until completion, feel satisfied, and still lose weight.