Monthly allowance for healthy food suggested to help tackle type 2 diabetes rates

Richie 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People
People in the UK should be given a monthly allowance to spend on fresh, healthy and locally sourced food in a bid to tackle obesity and support the farming industry, it has been suggested. The 'Our Future in the Land'report, published by the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) and drafted by the Food, Farming and Countryside Commission, also suggests that people should become "shareholders" in their local food system. The report has been issued in part to address rising rates of type 2 diabetes in the UK, which is associated with obesity, as well as to tackle climate change. A spokesperson for the organisation said: "The actions we take in the next ten years, to stop ecosystems collapse, to recover and regenerate nature and to restore people’s health and wellbeing are now critical. "In this final report, the Food, Farming and Countryside Commission sets out radical and practical ways for policymakers, business and communities to respond to the challenges." In the document, the authors refer to how type 2 diabetes is costing the NHS nearly £27 billion a year, and highlight how more focus needs to be on encouraging people to eat better and support local farmers and their produce. The research was gathered using information from farmers, supermarkets, health and environmental groups and rural residents. The authors pointed out that over the last 70 years, much emphasis has been on producing food as cheaply as possible, but they have used this report to state that this approach needs to change. They wrote: "More intensive farming practices are not necessarily more productive or more profitable. Time is now running out. The actions that we take in the next 10 years are critical: to recover and regenerate nature and to restore health and wellbeing to both people and planet." Other ideas suggested in the report included "reconnecting people and nature to boost health and wellbeing [...] designing a ten-year transition plan for sustainable, agroecological farming by 2030" and "implementing world-leading public procurement".

Continue reading...
What a load of rot. This country is the archetypal Nanny State.

Dark Horse

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Dark Horse

There is a discussion in that report of how consumption would change IF the current pattern of consumption changed to that suggested in the Eatwell Guide:-
p32 "Following the guidance would have significant impacts on the average adult diet compared with current eating patterns (Box 2.5): • There would be a large reduction in the consumption of red meat,by 89%for beef and 63% for lamb,together with a 20%decline in dairy products."
That's not the same as saying the CCC recommends it.

The report I linked to quotes one of the longer-term milestones to achieving Net Zero as being a '20% cut in consumption of beef, lamb & dairy'.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could you supply a link, please?

('Reducing UK emissions 2019 Progress Report to Parliament Committee on Climate Change July 2019' talks about aiming for a 20% cut in consumption of beef, lamb and dairy.) https://www.theccc.org.uk/publication/reducing-uk-emissions-2019-progress-report-to-parliament/
The link you provide is a progress report for the last year. It does indeed talk of 20% reduction, but this is in the section setting the priorities for the coming year, with an aside mention for longer term milestones. So is that 20% the target for 2025, or 2030 or 2050? or just what is expected for the coming year. It is an imprecise target over an unspecified period, and since the rest of that document is talking a yearly basis. then I think it will be the target for the coming year or possibly 2 years but not the 30 years we have to meet the zero carb emissions target in 2050

The CCC report 2018 that I posted is the blueprint document and the symmary report does not tell us that any of its targets have been altered or relaxed. If the blueprint is changed then there must be an updated verion or an addenda, which I have not found. The news item I saw on Sky a few days ago was talking about the 2018 targets in the interview with one of the authors. They were discussing how the UK was not yet meeting the targets and that it will need legislation later this year.

It seems the timescale is 18 months
https://www.theccc.org.uk/2019/07/1...sts-on-government-action-over-next-18-months/

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, the new Eatwell scheme will be used as the blueprint for the plans for food production and distribution and imports.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, the new Eatwell scheme will be used as the blueprint for the plans for food production and distribution and imports.
Might be a good idea to get Brexit over with before making any plans like that.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
People in the UK should be given a monthly allowance to spend on fresh, healthy and locally sourced food in a bid to tackle obesity and support the farming industry, it has been suggested. The 'Our Future in the Land'report, published by the Royal Society of Arts (RSA) and drafted by the Food, Farming and Countryside Commission, also suggests that people should become "shareholders" in their local food system. The report has been issued in part to address rising rates of type 2 diabetes in the UK, which is associated with obesity, as well as to tackle climate change. A spokesperson for the organisation said: "The actions we take in the next ten years, to stop ecosystems collapse, to recover and regenerate nature and to restore people’s health and wellbeing are now critical. "In this final report, the Food, Farming and Countryside Commission sets out radical and practical ways for policymakers, business and communities to respond to the challenges." In the document, the authors refer to how type 2 diabetes is costing the NHS nearly £27 billion a year, and highlight how more focus needs to be on encouraging people to eat better and support local farmers and their produce. The research was gathered using information from farmers, supermarkets, health and environmental groups and rural residents. The authors pointed out that over the last 70 years, much emphasis has been on producing food as cheaply as possible, but they have used this report to state that this approach needs to change. They wrote: "More intensive farming practices are not necessarily more productive or more profitable. Time is now running out. The actions that we take in the next 10 years are critical: to recover and regenerate nature and to restore health and wellbeing to both people and planet." Other ideas suggested in the report included "reconnecting people and nature to boost health and wellbeing [...] designing a ten-year transition plan for sustainable, agroecological farming by 2030" and "implementing world-leading public procurement".

Continue reading...

Apparently it is called Healthy Start

https://www.bda.uk.com/news/view?id=248&x[0]=news/list

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Great teasing out of the facts ladies and gents.

I think the initiative proposed could work. It kind of does in my local community. We have farmers markets thriving within a quarter to half mile of well known big and mid range supermarkets in Harwich and Manningtree (Essex). There are local allotments in my village, where 2 of my immediate neighbour's rep a good harvest. If I turn left from my home and drive 2 miles straight in either direction I can get potatoes (if I ate that way), 3 places that sell duck and hens eggs, strawaberries and other fruit.

Most cities in the UK have smaller towns and the like on the outskirts with loads of land, could these be the answer similar to where I live in a village? Some supermarket brands pretend to be locally supplied, but we have seen the TV programmes, why can't they strike deals with local farms properly.

All real food protocols such as clean (not judging), carnivore, Vegetarian, Vegan and animal based Keto would / could be satisfied with locally grown and sourced foods. This would mean non ones nose apart from big food, for those who still want to do processed stuff, would be put out of shape.

I give the initiative a thumbs up, if it could be delivered with the above in mind.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most cities in the UK have smaller towns and the like on the outskirts with loads of land, could these be the answer similar to where I live in a village?
Just a thought: many who would need the help to access healthy local produce may not have public transport links to outlying places, or be able to afford to run a car, use a taxi etc etc. for small quantities of foods.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a thought: many who would need the help to access healthy local produce may not have public transport links to outlying places, or be able to afford to run a car, use a taxi etc etc. for small quantities of foods.
I use my wife's mobility scooter, and I do all our shopping with it. I do live in a small country town, not in the wilderness so sympathise with what is becoming a major social issue

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am suggesting that supermarkets buy in good faith from local producers. The situation with general health I feel is almost at war time levels of urgency. No matter which food "we" settle on the quality has to come back yesterday. Humans are the smartest creatures on the planet, we can't process foods ourselves to health.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Continue reading...
The Lidl veg box idea could be extended. For those who don’t know, Lidl has a system where 5kg boxes of fruit and/or veg are put together according to grade of product. Its good to eat but getting near a sell by date. Boxes are put out in the morning, any not sold - at an affordable £1.50 each - by noon are given to various food type charities. OK, it can be a bit hit and miss, but I have used and shared three boxes in a week. Being there’s only two if us, both T2, diet controlled, fruit heavy boxes aren’t the best but sharing with neighbours and family obviously encourages, and we have several vegetarians nearby who’ll take thiings we can’t use with pleasure.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Lidl veg box idea could be extended. For those who don’t know, Lidl has a system where 5kg boxes of fruit and/or veg are put together according to grade of product. Its good to eat but getting near a sell by date. Boxes are put out in the morning, any not sold - at an affordable £1.50 each - by noon are given to various food type charities. OK, it can be a bit hit and miss, but I have used and shared three boxes in a week. Being there’s only two if us, both T2, diet controlled, fruit heavy boxes aren’t the best but sharing with neighbours and family obviously encourages, and we have several vegetarians nearby who’ll take thiings we can’t use with pleasure.
I and friends used to go to the local market near closing time and relieve them of unsold produce. Does'nt work with supermarkets and there have been several cases in our area od prosecutions for dumpster diving outside their back doors.. Apparenlty the food waste is sent for recycling, and the supermarkets make money from that. It used to be the pig farmer who would collect, not now it is all under contract.

Anyway I would rather that the money went to the local suppliers than the supermarkets and Big Biz.

We are starting to see some donations to foodbanks, but there are potential health issues, and the supermarkets do not want to end up being sued.