Hi from potential newbie....

mouseee

I'm writing this post as I am in need of some advice for the rest of the weekend!!

I am 99% sure I am type 2 and have come to this decision in the last few days. There are some very good reasons for this!

I have always had type 2 at the back of my mind as mum, granddad, great-grandad, aunt and great aunt (probably more) had type 2. I rang my mum to find out when she was diagnosed and it was mid 40s - just where I am now.

I have been incredibly thirsty and peeing for England recently so I thought I'd look at other symptoms that's when I found this site.

THat's when I made lots of links with how I've been feeling as the following things I had identified in myself over the past few weeks, literally had conversations about them at work, but not realised they were symptoms.

So these are some of the ones I can tick: tingling hands, cramps in legs, cold feet, blurred vision, hungry and exhausted. Oh and increase in weight mainly around my tummy.

I can't obviously make a GP appointment until Monday but I hope I can get one on the day. So, question is... what do I do for the next day or two to make me think I am taking some control back over my body!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mousee and welcome!
I hope you find your suspicions are unfounded, however if you do get a type 2 diagnosis, you’ve come to the right place for help and info.
Let me post this link for you, containing lots of useful advise:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
If you can’t wait for a GP appt you could go to a local chemist who can do a random (that is a non specific timed) finger prick test for you, Lloyds are one chain that do them.
Have a read of the intro post and come back with any questions you might have.

Reactions: Prem51

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you could go to a local chemist who can do a random (that is a non specific timed) finger prick test for you, Lloyds are one chain that do them
I did not know that, good to know. Do they charge?

mouseee

But they don't do it on a Saturday! I popped in earlier this afternoon as I am just intrigued as to what my BG is at the moment.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But they don't do it on a Saturday! I popped in earlier this afternoon as I am just intrigued as to what my BG is at the moment.
Oh sorry about that, not very helpful is it as the weekend is when people such as yourself would want quick access :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes my local Lloyds do them. Probably best to have one done 2 hours (roughly) after a meal to get a more useful reading. Don't have one done first thing in the morning e.g. before breakfast as it could be influenced by the overnight liver dump of glucose.

mouseee

Thanks! I am watching what I eat this weekend and trying to avoid huge carb dump type meals and sugary things. I have this kind of inevitable feeling about it due to family history. All I want to do is drink water.... not even my usual mug of tea will do it at the moment.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Assuming she has both, borrow your mum's meter and a strip

Last edited:

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @mousee and welcome to the forum. 17.1 is on the high side, but not dangerously high. You can try to bring it down by drinking water and doing some exercise. Contact your gp surgery tomorrow and get an appointment as soon as you can for referral for HbA1c blood test, it's the only way to confirm whether you are diabetic or not.
Even if you have to wait a week or two won't make much difference. If you do have to wait for a couple of weeks for an appointment it might be worth buying a glucose meter to keep a check on your bg levels in the meantime.
Boots, Superdrug, chemist shops and most supermarket pharmacies will sell them. I use a TEE2+ meter which has comparatively cheaper test strips. You can order meter and test strips online at http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

Last edited:

Blackqueen

I'm writing this post as I am in need of some advice for the rest of the weekend!!

I am 99% sure I am type 2 and have come to this decision in the last few days. There are some very good reasons for this!

I have always had type 2 at the back of my mind as mum, granddad, great-grandad, aunt and great aunt (probably more) had type 2. I rang my mum to find out when she was diagnosed and it was mid 40s - just where I am now.

I have been incredibly thirsty and peeing for England recently so I thought I'd look at other symptoms that's when I found this site.

THat's when I made lots of links with how I've been feeling as the following things I had identified in myself over the past few weeks, literally had conversations about them at work, but not realised they were symptoms.

So these are some of the ones I can tick: tingling hands, cramps in legs, cold feet, blurred vision, hungry and exhausted. Oh and increase in weight mainly around my tummy.

I can't obviously make a GP appointment until Monday but I hope I can get one on the day. So, question is... what do I do for the next day or two to make me think I am taking some control back over my body!
Hi, my father was a diabetic. I was recently diagnosed as prediabetic. I was and still am have symptoms such as constant urination, tingling in fingers and feet excessive thirst etc. I have since change my diet and I monitor my blood sugars regularly. I have also lost at least 10lbs since being diagnosed in February this year. You have indicated that your family are diabetes you can probably have them check your blood sugar levels for you untill you go to the Dr. However for now reduce your carbohydrate intake and drinks lots of water. Continue to read and research. I have found this website and forum to be very helpful.