Thought for the day

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I've been thinking, I try hard not to, but that requires more thought.

On this forum we have something in common above and beyond the obvious and I think that is the wish to pass on our experiences, and we have many and varied experiences.

Something that comes up now and again, and it's some recent posts that got me thinking, is the approach to diet and more specifically, low carbohydrate diets. There is no question that many have benefited from lowering our carb intake and it is frustrating to see the official guidelines repeatedly saying that there's not enough proof and further evidence is required. This means that there are many diabetics who will not have heard about the benefits a lot of us have gained by lowering carbs.

I wonder how we could encourage more people to look at this forum, if only to allow people to see that there are other ways of controlling BG that don't require more medication.

Any thoughts?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been thinking, I try hard not to, but that requires more thought.

On this forum we have something in common above and beyond the obvious and I think that is the wish to pass on our experiences, and we have many and varied experiences.

Something that comes up now and again, and it's some recent posts that got me thinking, is the approach to diet and more specifically, low carbohydrate diets. There is no question that many have benefited from lowering our carb intake and it is frustrating to see the official guidelines repeatedly saying that there's not enough proof and further evidence is required. This means that there are many diabetics who will not have heard about the benefits a lot of us have gained by lowering carbs.

I wonder how we could encourage more people to look at this forum, if only to allow people to see that there are other ways of controlling BG that don't require more medication.

Any thoughts?
The obvious answer would be to get DNs and GPs to include it in the list of ‘useful information’ that they give to newly diagnosed diabetics. I point people to it if they tell me they, or a family member/friend, has recently been diagnosed but some just follow the official advice.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well, the forum is easily found via google, is active on social media and several members have joined patient groups at GP practices. @Debandez has been doing sterling work with publicly info. @Goonergal and @Rachox have worked with various media outlets. @DCUKMod has been involved in getting the low carb programme recognised by the NHS. Work never stops - but individuals need to be engaged to notice, many still think diabetes is not a big deal.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Diakat , I have indeed pursued varies avenues to try and get the word out. So far I have featured in my local paper:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...ds-nearly-six-stone-after-diabetes-diagnosis/
I have been interviewed live on air on the local BBC radio station (that was nerve racking :nailbiting:), had a feature in one national magazine and will be featuring in another national magazine next month.
My story is featured on DCUK’s own Low Carb Program:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...lps-woman-lose-nearly-six-stone-99098750.html
I was interviewed at DCUK’s Low Carb event in Birmingham:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/low-carb-program-helped-rachel-type-2-diabetes-remission/
And I’m here on the Diet Dr website:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/rachel-20-months-after-being-diagnosed-with-type-2-diabetes
At a local level I have talked to my nurse and GP who although didn’t suggest low carb to me in the first place agree that my results from it are admirable and support my decision now. I have joined the PPG who are arranging a coffee morning at the surgery in the autumn at which I am being allowed to present an info table to tell my story. I will be providing some low carb bakes to prove it’s not all rabbit food! :joyful:

Reactions: urbanracer

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Forgot @bulkbiker who has also done plenty to spread the word.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Diakat , I have indeed pursued varies avenues to try and get the word out. So far I have featured in my local paper:
https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/1...ds-nearly-six-stone-after-diabetes-diagnosis/
I have been interviewed live on air on the local BBC radio station (that was nerve racking :nailbiting:), had a feature in one national magazine and will be featuring in another national magazine next month.
My story is featured on DCUK’s own Low Carb Program:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...lps-woman-lose-nearly-six-stone-99098750.html
I was interviewed at DCUK’s Low Carb event in Birmingham:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/low-carb-program-helped-rachel-type-2-diabetes-remission/
And I’m here on the Diet Dr website:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/rachel-20-months-after-being-diagnosed-with-type-2-diabetes
At a local level I have talked to my nurse and GP who although didn’t suggest low carb to me in the first place agree that my results from it are admirable and support my decision now. I have joined the PPG who are arranging a coffee morning at the surgery in the autumn at which I am being allowed to present an info table to tell my story. I will be providing some low carb bakes to prove it’s not all rabbit food! :joyful:
Sterling work @Rachox. You are going great guns. And you make such a brilliant advocate. You must have reached so many by sharing your journey I'm sure the reason low carb as a means of controlling bs is snowballing is because so many are spreading the word. Anyone interested in doing PR and sharing their journey should definitely contact DCUK PR team. They are doing a great job. Could we maybe put a sticky out there?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nice thought @DavidGrahamJones

worth considereration, me thinks.

And @Diakat
that's true, but as recently as aug 2018 for me, i had no idea this forum existed or that there was any other way but eatwell, as prescribed by doctors.

for many like myself the word of a doctor would (post tense now ) have been sufficient to persuade me their way was THE way forward.

Until we get a consensus of doctors OFFERING the advice or even directing those interested towards the forum, then the current status quo will remain.,

much as i'd like to think you are right in your suggestion.
too many will fall by the wayside between now and the day we all dream of ,
when this is fully endorsed as an option by all practitioners.

I like @DavidGrahamJones idea.

i think i'll give it some thought.
pretty sure one of us has the skills to get this up and running in a practical sense...?

Maybe each of us approaching our own clinics, to ask if we could hand out leaflets re LCHF..?
sure it will be awkward, but for each of us asking at local level, surely the HCP, must then look to other practices, and ask WHY..and with minimal investigation find that each of us is possibly their best diabetic patient, and has if not defeated T2, at least thwarted it in some small way, so we don't run the Gauntlet of complications so easily or early.

Not sure how do-able, but many others do seem to be more pro-active in their chosen arena (extinction rebellion, anyone)
that maybe, just maybe , with a little hand holding we as a group could do and make a big impact with a small gesture such as that.

Anyone up for a 'day of Action" one day where we ask 'please docs can we leave these leaflets'
make it a weekly thing.. Type 2 Tuesdays..has a ring about it.
or type 2 tuesday first week of every month.

Reactions: karen8967

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, the forum is easily found via google, is active on social media and several members have joined patient groups at GP practices. @Debandez has been doing sterling work with publicly info. @Goonergal and @Rachox have worked with various media outlets. @DCUKMod has been involved in getting the low carb programme recognised by the NHS. Work never stops - but individuals need to be engaged to notice, many still think diabetes is not a big deal.

Thanks for the tag @Diakat
Much the same as @Rachox . Local paper, twice. On their social media page. Dcuk PR team's support last September at our meet up has reaped great rewards. Videos, photos. Inspirational stories shared far and wide in national magazines, newspapers, radio stations etc. And this week many forum members are doing PR and will be featured in The Sun shortly as they are covering a week of diabetes. I've told the PR team I say yes to anything Haha. If it spreads the word I'm in!

Joined my PPG infiltrated my 2 surgeries. Found my practice manager to be ultra supportive. Told her I wanted to do presentations on 'reversing ' diabetes . They sorted me a room, sent info around all local CCGs. Presentation well received. They are supporting my next presentation scheduled Sept 'losing weight the low carb way to also cover controlling blood sugars'. They are currently working with me in producing a leaflet. It's an alternative approach to dealing with Diabetes ie low carb high healthy fat! (Guidelines lchf in 1936!!!) Almost there with it. Once done I'm taking the show on the road! Taking a couple of months off work. Contacting local surgeries to arrange meetings with PMs and DNs. Taking in all my bumf if they agree! We pulled together a fab 'inspirational stories' booklet which covers the journeys of about 20 forum members (could have included 100s but not enough time) . A leaflet on about the same number of members, their weight loss (totalling over 115 stone) and how they all are now in remission. #lchf! A 'what we eat' booklet. A 'how to test your blood glucose ' leaflet. I'm armed and ready to give presentations to anyone who will listen. Drs, HCPs etc. I've also joined my local diabetic meet up community at the local Tesco. Banging on about lc there. 3 ladies who have been diabetic for donkeys years making great inroads. Weight loss. Reducing meds one lady in meds for 17 years has been told if she carries on like she is she will be off meds by October!!! Procured a screen now. Going to show a video each month (plenty on you tube) different subject each month.

Went to real food rocks this weekend. Discovered Parkrun thanks to @rhubarb73 and Dr Simon Tobin. Going to discuss this with my PM. How we can get the community involved (myself included!). Its a work in progress but we are all chipping away. It's like moving the titanic with your pinky but we WILL get there!!!

Reactions: rhubarb73

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We could just all don yellow vests and March down to no. 10 with our 'stop murdering us' banners. Subtle isn't my middle name!!!

Reactions: urbanracer
D

Deleted member 308541

We could just all don yellow vests and March down to no. 10 with our 'stop murdering us' banners. Subtle isn't my middle name!!!
Teresa may join you, before security shift her out of the street.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Blimey, in relation to the amount of blood, sweat and tears it has taken to get the LCP accepted by the NHS, my efforts are a speck of dust in a gnat's eye. I can't claim anything. I am honestly in awe of the work done by so many to make that happen.

The data outputs of the LCP continue to be excellent, and people remain engaged with it.

On a more general note, there is constant work done to ensure we show favourably on the various search engines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat and Rachox

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We must remember that inroads are being made at an ‘official level’ now, in that the Low Carb Program is now authorised to be prescribed by NHS GPs so although it may not be well known yet, I can only see things improving, albeit slowly:
https://diabetestimes.co.uk/nhs-green-light-for-low-carb-programme/
Still have a long way to go on the official level. I went to my local Diabetes UK support group at my local hospital this year, to see if there were any changes, alas sad to say, nope. They were all happy to follow the same old, same old, even though they were suffering complications. Even someone was questioning me on low carb he had so many doubts still insisted about good carbs, This person suffering from retinopathy.
Other's had med increase. They continue happily follow the instructions of the diabetic consultant who looks after the department.
Oops

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Debandez

With your backing and a. Generic leaflet, I reckon we stand a good chance of making an impact.

If we all show up on one day and if accepted happy days, but if refused...
Let's ask to speak to the diabetes team as to WHY.

Pretty sure most of us would be star patients in diabetes at each our respective practices.
If we presented with sensible, practical, advice on leaflets, wouldn't that make at least one or two re- question their own beliefs

In one's n twos I doubt they would notice...but if we picked one day of action and hit them with as many members as were willing to help get involved, WE could shake up their world on a major scale .

I can't believe they don't talk to each other and if not having their own newspaper they'll at least have a web page to collate news.

So word would spread, and maybe one or two would re evaluate their current position
We have nothing to lose but our chains of fear.

We have a right to be treated AND SUPPORTED by the most up-to-date methods prevalent to our disease.
THAT is most surely the MINIMUM of our HUMAN RIGHTS as patients

Worthy of consideration, if we want to be effective

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS and gennepher

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

A few thoughts from me on this very interesting thread.

In my opinion while it might seem attractive to start up a new initiative/produce new materials, I’m a great believer in adding weight to initiatives already showing signs of success or at least making inroads. This both reduces time and effort and helps to build up speed.

At a local and individual level it’s very important that you talk to the people with influence. Usually the practice manager and/or the partner GPS. Even then progress can be slow.

@Debandez has put in the hard yards and built up the relationships locally so her leaflet will be well received. That may not be the case everywhere - and especially with random/cold contacts.

In my own experience two things have been important in getting my foot through the door (and that’s all it is so far). Firstly joining the Patient Participation Group (PPG) and secondly engaging with the nurses/doctors during appointments when my personal results are being discussed. After almost a year of positive noises I have now been invited to talk to other patients in a group consultation with other type 2s.

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread, Dr Unwin has produced some simple, visual leaflets about low carb eating that have now been included in the NICE guidelines. This is an important point as that endorsement makes it easy for health care professionals to pass them to patients without fear of criticism. Likewise with the DCUK low carb program which is now available for prescription.

I believe that promoting these is the way to go - work done, materials available. There is an organisation called the Public Health Collaboration from which the leaflets can be obtained. They have an Ambassador’s program with training and support for just the purposes we’re discussing (there are a few Ambassadors on this forum).

Working in this way will help both to spread the low carb word and drive people here for additional support.

Just my two cents worth!

Also thought it worth linking to the thread below which is a collection of individual initiatives by forum members.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...st-diet-to-help-treat-type-2-diabetes.156732/

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal

Thank you

A well thought out and considered post.
Excellent points well made.

For myself, I'll now think on about the PPG route at some point .

Best regards

Reactions: Debandez

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Hopefully my comment was not interpreted as suggesting nothing is being done. I think your last sentence sums it up, even among people I know, nobody willing to change dietary habit when there's a pill to be taken.

Viv19

I was reading through this thread - it’s amazing the hard work you’ve all been doing to get the LCHF message out to everyone.
It is definitely slowly filtering through. I’ve been reading through a manuscript written by a LCHF GP who apparently met someone from this forum who had put their diabetes into remission. It has turned him into a card carrying convert, out to spread the word too.
I was interested (and irritated because I’m not in the uk) to hear about community ‘health walks,’ which appear to be happening all over the uk. My brother and his wife were persuaded to take over a walk (or two) in their area some years ago when the 90+ lady who led them up to that point had some health issues. I had thought that it was just local to them, but have since discovered that this is happening in communities throughout the uk. Perhaps somehow that info could be linked.

Reactions: Debandez