What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.5 when I woke but 5 minutes later before I had my Greek yogurt with glutton free granola it was 5.5. I suppose I have to stick with 6.5! Didnt sleep well. Woke up to lots of shouting. Sirens. 3 police cars outside on my street! Torches. Looking for a knife. They cuffed someone. Goodness only knows what was happening. Struggled to get back off. Wondered if I would wake up intact!

Lots to do to help my BIL today so its a high and bye to all you good people.

I hope you are safe!

Thanks for the unintended typo -- it made me laugh. :)

Viv19

While looking at fruit infusions (for flavouring water) in the tea area in Sainsbury this morning a man asked what it was and then said how silly you could just chop up fruit. I said I couldnt because I am diabetic and these were zero carbs. He laughed and said he was too but he didnt buy into all the scaremongering. He taunted me about my silly attitude and I said I didnt want to get any complications. End of convo for me. His parting shot was he had a heart attack last Christmas Day but that was because he ate too much! I wont be admiting I am D to a stranger in a hurry again.

He’ll still be saying ‘I don’t believe all that rubbish’ as they wheel him off to A and E.

Reactions: HarryBeau and DJC3

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
While looking at fruit infusions (for flavouring water) in the tea area in Sainsbury this morning a man asked what it was and then said how silly you could just chop up fruit. I said I couldnt because I am diabetic and these were zero carbs. He laughed and said he was too but he didnt buy into all the scaremongering. He taunted me about my silly attitude and I said I didnt want to get any complications. End of convo for me. His parting shot was he had a heart attack last Christmas Day but that was because he ate too much! I wont be admiting I am D to a stranger in a hurry again.

Do what you do; horse, trough, drink, no drink - will not impede in any way on just doing what you do.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hoping it settles DJC if not it will be an interesting trip to Birmingham:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:...I have perked up a little I have just managed to reset my email on my iPhone...being technologically incompetent for most of my adult life I feel like I've just split the atom.

That really is an achievement - especially as you are feeling under par.

Reactions: HarryBeau

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back on here (twice) young lady. The video embedded in that article was not very optimistic regarding exercise - you can't out run a wrongly constructed diet seemed to be the message. Hats off to anyone who can eat and drink what he recommends for breakfast.

Wow you’re right about the amount of protein for breakfast.
I think the ‘can’t outrun a bad diet’ may hold true for weight loss but I’m convinced that strength training and light weights make a difference to bg levels. It’s certainly true in my case that I see higher numbers if I’ve been inactive for a few days.

Reactions: geefull and Viv19

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, x-ray results in, I’m gonna be off my feet for this holiday, chipped a bone in my foot. Good job I’m a part-time wheelie anyway on a holiday for people with disabilities. Even with the injury I’m one of the more abled, and with my conditions I don’t feel any pain from my feet. I guess in the scheme of things I got off lightly.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, x-ray results in, I’m gonna be off my feet for this holiday, chipped a bone in my foot. Good job I’m a part-time wheelie anyway on a holiday for people with disabilities. Even with the injury I’m one of the more abled, and with my conditions I don’t feel any pain from my feet. I guess in the scheme of things I got off lightly.
I am sorry this has happened to you on hols but you sound very positive and I hope it wont be too restrictive and great news you aren't in pain. Where are you and is it good otherwise? Best wishes.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum , tbh I don’t think it will make much difference being in a wheelchair full-ish time for this holiday. I don’t have a cast or anything and I can still walk on it ok, as my brain can’t tell me it hurts. I’m at a place called Revitalise Netley Waterside House, it’s near Southampton. The Revitalise charity has 3 locations for holidays in the England, one in Liverpool, one in London, and the one I’m at in Southampton.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd agree fully with @trick60

I'm beginning to think that though there are the highs we all dread, we also have a natural background level that perhaps like blood pressure, has a level where it can cause issues, and a level it's happy running at..and I'd guess s level below that might be achievable, but probably not wise in the long run.

Either way, for me, like @trick60..I think I have a happy limit of around the low 5's to low 6's depending if I've eaten late, had enough sleep, etc... So I've stopped stressing about getting into the 4's.
If i saw a 4 I would think something was wrong..5s and 6s I feel good. Hba1c normal. Eat well. Happy days.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@PenguinMum , tbh I don’t think it will make much difference being in a wheelchair full-ish time for this holiday. I don’t have a cast or anything and I can still walk on it ok, as my brain can’t tell me it hurts. I’m at a place called Revitalise Netley Waterside House, it’s near Southampton. The Revitalise charity has 3 locations for holidays in the England, one in Liverpool, one in London, and the one I’m at in Southampton.
Sounds grand and and I so hope you have great time. I always think its great to have a change of scene. Best wishes.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hugs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hugs for the injury, and for getting it on holiday, but top person for your attitude and positivity. I hope you can enjoy the rest of your hols peacefully now v

Reactions: jjraak