What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been in consistent 5s so reduced my basal insulin again yesterday. :) :) :) so from 92 of triple strength insulin to 39 units of it now. :)
So excited. I might get off insulin, afterall. It might be possible.
3st or more to lose.
In a year or 2 I might reach my goal. Before bariatric op I had no chance in h+ll.
I love the no hunger. It was my biggest hindrance and all other diets didn't solve that for me.
More importantly steady bgs other than fruit spikes but longer stability thereafter.
I'm 7wks after op so restrictive swollowing and digesting is new so my body hasn't found its new belonging yet.
But so far so good. :)

Good to see you back and glad that the op went well for you.
Early days yet but your positivism is there for all to read.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher the butterflies and flowers are beautiful!

The KittenCat wants to know if Popeye enjoys pouncing at the butterflies. ^. .^

P.S. She just sat up on the window sill and is pouncing at some night bug I can't see on the window. It is pitch dark here at 5 am.

Thank you @SaskiaKC

Popeye has been firmly scolded (in the past) and lectured that pouncing on butterflies is a NO NO in this garden.
Butterflies (and birds) are sacred.

But he has permission to catch the squeak squeak mice (they invaded my kitchen, and I won't put poison down, and they didn't go in the humane mouse traps...the mice were laughing and tried to roll the peanut butter jar...I was using the peanut butter for bait...to where there was some hardboard covering the wall...gave themselves away...so I ripped off hardboard and steel wool and cement in the holes and packed all round it).

I spent one hot night outside, too hot indoors a few days ago, so Popeye must have thought because I was in his territory, I needed feeding and so he presented me with a headless mouse for breakfast...

I know it was protein, but I still prefer my scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfast....

>^..^<

Reactions: HarryBeau and Viv19

Viv19

Good morning folks from our retreat in the outbacks of North Yorkshire. An early awakening at goodness knows o’clock by the pattering of feet on the roof of our lodge. Why can’t birds wake up at sensible hours? How can I get one of those noise abatement orders issued?

Anyhow, the wonder wheel of country living and a quite decent scotch on the balcony last night banged home a 4.9 at 0500.

Latest question (nothing to do with the war on the cat lady who now has twelve of the **** things) - Will Tim Ferriss’ 30g of protein at breakfast help you lose weight? An interesting read. In the video embedded in the article (link below) Tim Ferriss advocates eating 30g protein within 30 minutes of waking up as well as cutting any sort of milk from tea or koffy (watch video for more). The analysis in the article takes the protein thing a bit further.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2018/07/13/does-tim-ferriss-30g-of-protein-work/

Looks like my breakfast or even an OMAD may be a three or four egg omelette packed with spinach.

Thunder storms have been promised by the fake news that is the BBC weather stone folk; a great opportunity to dance naked in your garden and do a load of howling. Have a great day if you can, big hugs to any who want’s one (on a strictly just as many as you need basis).

Can’t do that! No milk in my tea is a no go.

Viv19

@jjraak hope the early waking doesn't become a habit. It has taken me 3 years to mostly eradicate that problem - would have been a nightmare if working. @Bildad BG hoding up well, great support for these young people. Fasting is interesting. I found it can very easily become a default option, you seem to be made of more sensible stuff. @Fndwheelie sorry to hear about the trip to A&E but hope there is a simple solution and you can continue to enjoy your hols. @HarrisonK take care in London. @Krystyna23040 hope the injections go well. Yesterday sounds good and the pre hospital plan is sound as a pound. @Viv19 hug for trade off between good sleep and back pain and hope physio goes well. @PenguinMum menu sounds suitably tasty and those cold infusion teas are quite fun. @johnpol hug for your and Mrs JP but the way your post reads shows great humour in how you are dealing with the situation.
My fbg was 5.2 - nothing I can do about it now but wholly uninspiring. Sorry for bloviating

Hugs are good. Thanks ianpspurs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Been in consistent 5s so reduced my basal insulin again yesterday. :) :) :) so from 92 of triple strength insulin to 39 units of it now. :)
So excited. I might get off insulin, afterall. It might be possible.
3st or more to lose.
In a year or 2 I might reach my goal. Before bariatric op I had no chance in h+ll.
I love the no hunger. It was my biggest hindrance and all other diets didn't solve that for me.
More importantly steady bgs other than fruit spikes but longer stability thereafter.
I'm 7wks after op so restrictive swollowing and digesting is new so my body hasn't found its new belonging yet.
But so far so good. :)
Really positive news there @ickihun delighted for you

Reactions: SaskiaKC

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@gennepher thanks for such lovely pics of the butterflies and surroundings. I hate it if Bobs catches a bird, thankfully Daisy doesnt hunt. Easier to deal with dead mice than live ones I find.

Viv19

View attachment 34567 View attachment 34568 View attachment 34569 View attachment 34570 View attachment 34571 View attachment 34566 View attachment 34566 View attachment 34561 View attachment 34562 View attachment 34563 View attachment 34564 View attachment 34565
8.6 this morning

I forgot to eat much yesterday because I was taking photos of butterflies in my garden.
There is usually one day a year I have hundreds of butterflies in my garden.
Usually mostly Peacock butterflies and Whites.

This year excelled itself. I had a hundred or more Peacock butterflies, dozens and dozens of Red Admirals (maybe more than the Peacock butterflies). I had at least one Painted Lady, and the biggest surprise was a few dozen Commas.

There were more different butterflies including some Whites.

It was a breezy day, so it was hard to get good photos. I probably took over a thousand photos with iPad and phone. I was trying to get them dancing in the sky, but they got out of the photo before the iPad took the photo. So about 300 photos were just blue sky. I got a few of them flying in the sky. The silhouettes were very impressive but I wasn't quick enough!

I managed to get a few photos with one just flying, the others escaped out of frame.

There were three different species of butterfly sharing a Buddleia flower head, but each time I managed to get iPad focused on it, two had flown off!

I have never seen so many Comma's at any one time. Usually I see one or two, if I am lucky.

Every year for one sunny day, maybe for a few more days, I always get dozens and dozens of Peacock butterflies, clouds of them. But I have never seen dozens and dozens of Red Admirals in one go, like I did this afternoon. And never so many Commas flying at one time.

However I have had clouds of white butterflies some years ago. The caterpillars had eaten nearly all my Kale I was growing. I left them be. And it as a wonderful morning in my garden when all the butterflies hatched out. It was magical. The kale regrew for winter, so I still got some kale that year.

I do have a couple of large beds of nettles. I encourage them. I don't know if that is the reason for all my butterflies each year. I also encourage my wild garden (the neighbours don't like it, one even came one year with his chain saw saying he would raze it to the ground and wouldn't that be nice and he had some weed killer to kill the nettles, he cannot see the nettles from the street, he has to look over the wall or through the slats on the fence...I won't say what I said to him...it was not polite...).

These were only the butterflies in the back garden I photographed. There were more on the Buddleia in the front garden.

I love my wildlife garden.

By the way, I have hundreds of bees and droneflies, and Ichneumonid wasps (you probably don't want the details of what they do, but they are vital for pest control and other stuff), the list goes on of all the flying insects...

There would be no shortage of butterflies and everything else if people at least put a part of their garden over for wildlife.

There is no shortage of sparrows or dunnocks either. Every morning I get a flock of long tailed t*ts (I hope that star will stop it from being all stars), I could go on and on.

Chainsaw man has a concrete jungle front and back and half a dozen pathetic bedraggled roses in pots, and he wonders where the wildlife has gone...

Had to reduce the files a lot to get them on here. But it gives you an idea of how many butterflies.
These were all taken on my iPad.

>^..^<

What fabulous photos gennepher.
Chainsaw man probably doesn’t even think about insects and butterflies. You are very knowledgeable! After cabbage whites and red admirals I’m sort of ‘’well it was blue ...’

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
4am wide awake
4:40am up, can't sleep.

can't check bloods
and not in work until this afternoon ..

AAAGHHH :arghh::arghh::arghh:

So just posting to moan.

(but at least i'm 1st on the GRID in the PIN PRICKER GRAND PRIX...:D)

Have a god day, once it starts....:rolleyes: , ya all.
Even when it's a moany post you still make me laugh!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
6.5 when I woke but 5 minutes later before I had my Greek yogurt with glutton free granola it was 5.5. I suppose I have to stick with 6.5! Didnt sleep well. Woke up to lots of shouting. Sirens. 3 police cars outside on my street! Torches. Looking for a knife. They cuffed someone. Goodness only knows what was happening. Struggled to get back off. Wondered if I would wake up intact!

Lots to do to help my BIL today so its a high and bye to all you good people.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
While looking at fruit infusions (for flavouring water) in the tea area in Sainsbury this morning a man asked what it was and then said how silly you could just chop up fruit. I said I couldnt because I am diabetic and these were zero carbs. He laughed and said he was too but he didnt buy into all the scaremongering. He taunted me about my silly attitude and I said I didnt want to get any complications. End of convo for me. His parting shot was he had a heart attack last Christmas Day but that was because he ate too much! I wont be admiting I am D to a stranger in a hurry again.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While looking at fruit infusions (for flavouring water) in the tea area in Sainsbury this morning a man asked what it was and then said how silly you could just chop up fruit. I said I couldnt because I am diabetic and these were zero carbs. He laughed and said he was too but he didnt buy into all the scaremongering. He taunted me about my silly attitude and I said I didnt want to get any complications. End of convo for me. His parting shot was he had a heart attack last Christmas Day but that was because he ate too much! I wont be admiting I am D to a stranger in a hurry again.

and there you have it..
the reason why so many doctors think we are all too stupid to take note of our health and read up AND take action to improve it.

Just an opinionated oaf, @PenguinMum.
type in ANY topic , and he'll know why you're wrong, and be happy telling you loudly just why ..
(cos he read it the sun..probably )
For someone who doesn't seem to take care of themselves, like them,
the next big attack may not be so kind..

good for you sticking to your guns.
Don't let that put you off.

Just because we try to educate, doesn't mean that person will learn

BUT the more of US that tell the More of THEM
about how WE cope and do it SO much better then the herd.
The better off maybe just ONE person might be, ( if not dozens)

I say that's a chance WORTH taking.

Even the mightiest Dictatorships fall,
Not because the other side have more weapons
But because one person stood up and said 'NO '
And the many followed..

Because Our WORDS have POWER
Whether we see it in our lifetime or not

Viva La Penguinmum...:happy::D

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What fabulous photos gennepher.
Chainsaw man probably doesn’t even think about insects and butterflies. You are very knowledgeable! After cabbage whites and red admirals I’m sort of ‘’well it was blue ...’

Thanks @Viv19

Well, that might be a Holly Blue :) :)
They live on my Holly!

I've always been interested in butterflies from being a child.
I cannot remember a fraction of what I knew then. I need to swot up...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Pray tell, what is this Sainsbury of which you speak? The natives sound such intriguing creatures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viv19

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @SaskiaKC

Popeye has been firmly scolded (in the past) and lectured that pouncing on butterflies is a NO NO in this garden.
Butterflies (and birds) are sacred.

But he has permission to catch the squeak squeak mice (they invaded my kitchen, and I won't put poison down, and they didn't go in the humane mouse traps...the mice were laughing and tried to roll the peanut butter jar...I was using the peanut butter for bait...to where there was some hardboard covering the wall...gave themselves away...so I ripped off hardboard and steel wool and cement in the holes and packed all round it).

I spent one hot night outside, too hot indoors a few days ago, so Popeye must have thought because I was in his territory, I needed feeding and so he presented me with a headless mouse for breakfast...

I know it was protein, but I still prefer my scrambled eggs and cheese for breakfast....

>^..^<

Dontcha love how they love us!