Type 2 Is it worth further investigation?

hi there, I’m a 45 year old woman who is 13st 5 and 5 foot 5. My dad is type 2, non insulin and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first son 15 years ago but nothing since or in my second pregnancy 12 years ago. I’m very much like my dad genetically we have the same skin conditions (pigmentation etc) and like him I have a tendency to put weight on easily. I’ve recently started the ketogenic diet after following it last year and losing weight. I’m 3 days in now and according to the strips in Ketosis. I’ve never had a fasting test out of pregnancy but have recently had my bloods tested for general bloods lots of times due to trouble breathing and fast heart rates they are still investigating. This morning out of interest I tested my fasting bloods and it was 7.5, I understand this is high? Could it be my body adapting or is it worth looking at? The doctors is a nightmare to get into and if I’m losing weight surely it will drop? I’m concerned but I know my GP willbe ‘scared’ of the whole keto thing and try and warn me off!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Are these pee strips that you are using to detect ketones?

Hi and thanks for the reply xx I am using pee strips and breath testing. The pee strips are mid to dark pink and the mmol on breath are only 0.1 and 0.2

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi there, I’m a 45 year old woman who is 13st 5 and 5 foot 5. My dad is type 2, non insulin and I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with my first son 15 years ago but nothing since or in my second pregnancy 12 years ago. I’m very much like my dad genetically we have the same skin conditions (pigmentation etc) and like him I have a tendency to put weight on easily. I’ve recently started the ketogenic diet after following it last year and losing weight. I’m 3 days in now and according to the strips in Ketosis. I’ve never had a fasting test out of pregnancy but have recently had my bloods tested for general bloods lots of times due to trouble breathing and fast heart rates they are still investigating. This morning out of interest I tested my fasting bloods and it was 7.5, I understand this is high? Could it be my body adapting or is it worth looking at? The doctors is a nightmare to get into and if I’m losing weight surely it will drop? I’m concerned but I know my GP willbe ‘scared’ of the whole keto thing and try and warn me off!
Common misconception: Being overweight doesn't cause diabetes (T2). It's the other way around. So while losing weight might improve your insulin sensitivity/reduce insulin resistance, it doesn't cure T2, if it is present. The diet you're following could put you in remission though, if you do have it. Is there a possibility you can get a test done for your HbA1c? It'll tell you more than a fasting blood glucose would. Maybe just ask the assistant for the form and call for the results? By pass the doc entirely, and maybe not mention keto?

In any case, it is worth looking into. Also, you might want to check your bloods before a meal and 2 hours after the first bite. You don't want a rise of more than 2.0 mmol/l. Though with your recent diet change you could be within parameters because you're not eating as many carbs as before... It's still something to look into. When i doubt, always go to the doc for a HbA1c test.

Good luck!
Jo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My suggestion would be that if you think you may have diabetes, or pre diabetes, then get to a doctor and get assessed now, before any new lifestyle and diet changes kick in.

Having had gestational D them you are at higher risk of developing T2.
Even if you don’t yet have it, your doc needs to keep checking you.

If you have developed D then it is much better to get a clear diagnosis and get on the treatment ‘pathway’ of eye and footchecks, regular monitoring, than just get forgotten again.

If you wait until your keto way of eating kicks in, then your HbA1c will probably drop, and you will have a hard time convincing your doc or nurse that you need monitoring.

Hope that helps.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My suggestion would be that if you think you may have diabetes, or pre diabetes, then get to a doctor and get assessed now, before any new lifestyle and diet changes kick in.

Hope that helps.
Real good advice there.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A morning fasting test isn't much use due to the overnight liver dump of glucose by the liver. Test just before and 2 hours after a meal. Keeping the carbs down will normally help reduce blood sugar and insulin resistance.