Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @claire91 ideally it's a good idea to start taking folic acid when you start to think about conceiving, I have never attended a preconception clinic but would imagine you are given guidelines about HbA1c targets, diet and general tips for conceiving. I sounds like a useful apt to attend to help, let us know when you do go and what they discussed as it would help others in the same boat too :)

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Claire, I too will be going back to the PC clinic after a years break. You should see the nurse who will talk about the dangers of a high Hba1c to both you and the baby. They will likely order blood tests and talk to you about testing you BG, it can be up to 7 times a day. They will then agree a BG range with you for post food/ go through your medications. It’s a important that you are prescribed 5mg of folic acid and you should ideally like non diabetics be taking this for three months before conceiving. Good luck with everything and I hope you get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy and birth.

Reactions: jaha

claire91

Can you start taking folic acid before the diabetes clinic give it you by just buying some ? Of do people tend to just wait?

NaijaChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No, you need your GP to prescribe it and it has to be 5mg as this is the diabetic dose.

Emj185

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @claire91
Me and my husband are due to attend our PC clinic next month. Hope all goes well with your clinic. I’d be interested to hear how it went and what to expect. X

claire91

Hi @claire91
Me and my husband are due to attend our PC clinic next month. Hope all goes well with your clinic. I’d be interested to hear how it went and what to expect. X

I went to the pre conception clinic Friday. We spoke about my hba1c, blood sugars, they gave me a libre too, prescribed folic acid and spoke about what vitamins to take.

Reactions: Emj185

Emj185

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to the pre conception clinic Friday. We spoke about my hba1c, blood sugars, they gave me a libre too, prescribed folic acid and spoke about what vitamins to take.

Thanks! Ours is in 2 weeks so glad we know what to expect. X

Wooly123

I would to have an appointment at pre conception clinic and have been trying to see a diabetic consultant since April last year. Unfortunately due to the pandemic they aren’t running and they said I won’t be seen as I don’t have an urgent need. The nurse at my GP managed to get me on the high dose of folic acid and been taking them since August. My hba1c is 7.3% and just ordered the Libre 2 to help improve my levels so should be arriving next week. 2 weeks ago we made the decision to begin trying to conceive as waiting for pre conception clinic/pandemic to improve could be endless and we don’t want to put our lives on hold anymore. Will just have to be our own doctors until we become ‘urgent’ enough to get an appointment I suppose x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is quite an old thread and with things going on as they are perhaps you could enquire if your consultant or clinic have set up email queries and telephone or even skype consultations - and if not why not because this is an ongoing situation which needs addressing.

Reactions: Wooly123