1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pre conception clinic

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by claire91, Jul 21, 2019.

1. claire91

claire91 · Member

I have my first preconception clinic to attend. Could anybody tell me what to expect? Also how long do you have to take folic acid before trying to conceive?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @claire91 ideally it's a good idea to start taking folic acid when you start to think about conceiving, I have never attended a preconception clinic but would imagine you are given guidelines about HbA1c targets, diet and general tips for conceiving. I sounds like a useful apt to attend to help, let us know when you do go and what they discussed as it would help others in the same boat too :)

3. NaijaChick

NaijaChick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Claire, I too will be going back to the PC clinic after a years break. You should see the nurse who will talk about the dangers of a high Hba1c to both you and the baby. They will likely order blood tests and talk to you about testing you BG, it can be up to 7 times a day. They will then agree a BG range with you for post food/ go through your medications. It’s a important that you are prescribed 5mg of folic acid and you should ideally like non diabetics be taking this for three months before conceiving. Good luck with everything and I hope you get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy and birth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. claire91

claire91 · Member

Can you start taking folic acid before the diabetes clinic give it you by just buying some ? Of do people tend to just wait?

5. NaijaChick

NaijaChick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No, you need your GP to prescribe it and it has to be 5mg as this is the diabetic dose.

6. Emj185

Emj185 Type 1 · Member

Hi @claire91
    Me and my husband are due to attend our PC clinic next month. Hope all goes well with your clinic. I’d be interested to hear how it went and what to expect. X

7. claire91

claire91 · Member

I went to the pre conception clinic Friday. We spoke about my hba1c, blood sugars, they gave me a libre too, prescribed folic acid and spoke about what vitamins to take.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Emj185

Emj185 Type 1 · Member

Thanks! Ours is in 2 weeks so glad we know what to expect. X

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook