Please help

Kimlisa

Have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes would like some help with what foods to eat my nurse at my gp practice not very helpfull.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you on any medication?
Do you know your Hba1c level?
Do you have any dietary restrictions?
Let us know and we can give more useful information.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of useful information here. There is a lot to process and the diagnosis is itself a lot to process. Be gentle with yourself.
My first recommendation is to get a blood testing kit and use it regularly. No one likes the thought of pricking your fingers several times a day but that information will help you take control of your health.

My second recommendation is to spend some time on this forum and ask questions. Many many people here have been where you are now. Also many have progressed so that their diabetes is now in remission. That ray of hope gave me a lot of comfort and still does.

I'm a newbie- only 4 weeks since my diagnosis but I have made a lot of progress in that time thanks to this site and the wealth of knowledge here and the generosity of all those who answer all the questions I have asked and have provided support for my venting.

Take care and keep posting and reading.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ will give you a bit of a quick-start guide. For more in-depth info check diabetes.co.uk (Not .org) which is this forum's website, dietdoctor.com and Dr. Jason Fung's the Diabetes Code. Wealth of information. But it is a lot to take in at first. Relax, you don't have to get everything right overnight.

You're going to be okay.
Jo

Route 66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Its a lot to take in when you are first diagnosed. Take a deep breath and just let it sink in. Did your nurse give you your hbac1 reading so that you know where you are starting from and where you need to aim for. Are you on any medication?

The very first thing I did when I was diagnosed was to stop all sugar in my tea and coffee, and cut out all chocolate, cakes, pastries and full sugar fizzy drinks. With that done, I started to cut down on potatoes, rice and other things high in carbohydrate.

Once that was done, I spent a lot of time looking around this site and listening and learning from some great knowledgeable people on here so that I could start to refine my diet even better. People on here are so willing to give their time to help you.

Don't also forget that you may need also to combine your diet with some lifestyle changes such as exercise etc.

I was diagnosed 12 weeks ago, and thanks in a long way to some great advice on here, I am already a long way down the road to getting this thing far better controlled.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum @Kimlisa. You will have realised you need to cut out sugary food and drinks. But you also need to avoid or limit starch carbohydrates like bread, potatoes, pasta and rice. Starchy carbs turn to sugar quickly in our bodies so aren't good for Type 2 diabetics.
A lot of the Type 2s on here have found that adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat (lchf) approach to eating has reduced their blood glucose levels. That means replacing the energy you would have got from starchy carbs with 'healthy' fats like oily fish, olive oil, full fat dairy products, avocados, and nuts.
Meat, eggs, fish and most vegetables grown above ground are ok.

It is essential to get a blood glucose meter so you can test your bg before eating, then two hours later to find out which foods spike your bg levels. I use a TEE2+ bg meter which uses test strips which cost £7.55 for 50. The TEE2+ meter costs £9.99. You can get other bg meters free but the test strips can cost 2/3 times as much. you can order the TEE2+ meter online here:
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/
If you ring the supplier Spirit Healthcare on 0116 286 5000 they might send you a free meter.

You should also ask your gp surgery for a printout of your HbA1c blood test results. You need to know where you are starting from, and it gives you a lot of useful information.