Breakfast ideas

Donnajs77

Hello,

I’m after some breakfast ideas, I’m getting fed up of wheatabix does anyone know of over night oats are any good?? I’m type 2

Thank you

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oats are pretty high carb, but I think weetabix is even higher carb. What kind of diet do you follow? Have you tested your bg after the weetabix? If it doesn't go up by too much after weetabix I'd expect you can eat oats as well.

Many T2's follow a lower carb diet. Do you like bacon and eggs? Natural Greek yoghurt?

Reactions: Lizzie2

mouseee

If oats don't spike you then overnight oats are great.
I used to make them all the time before T2 and LCHF but won't be going anywhere near them for a while. I might try some and see how they effect me when I've been going a little longer.

Yogurt, oats and frozen berries layered up and left over night. That's it. Some people love it, some hate the texture.

Donnajs77

Hi, yeah wheatabix don’t effect my Bg so much I maybe go up by 1mol, I do like bacon and eggs, but I work early mornings so generally eat breakfast at work hence why I eat wheatabix, as we don’t have the means to cook in our canteen, I try to follow a low carb diet, eat a lot of salads and chicken, try to stay away from potatoes and pasta, slowly getting bored with it, but I keep going as I know I have to lol

Reactions: bkr

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Until you have your blood glucose under control, I would avoid any cereals like the plague. My go to breakfast is now scrambled eggs, a slice of black pudding (since controling by BG) and sometimes the "tails" of a fatty bacon. Yum.

Reactions: 1spuds and jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Full fat Greek yoghurt and some berries?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You could make a nice omelet and eat it cold at work. Lasts for a couple of days too so no need for cooking in the morning.

Reactions: Lizzie2 and 1spuds

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm T2 but on insulin so have a bit more latitude in my choices for breakfast.
Currently one of my quick and easy low carb options is low carb yoghurt with some stewed apple and berries and it barely affects my BG at all and I have to check if going to drive that BG isn't too low.
My higher carb option is Oats So Simple at about 32gm carbs per serving including the milk.
Weetabix appears to be about 72gm carbs per 100g weight and as I don't know the weight of one 'biscuit' I can't suggest the carbs in one. But if you take it with about 200 ml of milk, the milk will add about 9g catbs.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
How about boiling a few eggs? Can use them for breakfast or lunch.

Reactions: Donnajs77

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If oats don't spike you then overnight oats are great.
I used to make them all the time before T2 and LCHF but won't be going anywhere near them for a while. I might try some and see how they effect me when I've been going a little longer.

Yogurt, oats and frozen berries layered up and left over night. That's it. Some people love it, some hate the texture.
What sort of oats do you use? Thanks

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
slowly getting bored with it, but I keep going as I know I have to lol
Thats when its time to hit the net and look up keto and low carb foods.There is plenty of variety.Mrs found a Keto waffle recipe thats actually good,made strawberry jam with Erythritol.Reheat that in the microwave (you do have that hopefully?),add your butter and jam and you would be stylin'! :woot:

Reactions: Donnajs77

mouseee

I use everyday ordinary porridge oats. Usually the supermarket value range. I use natural yogurt and the frozen berries let all the lovely juices go as they defrost.
There are masses of different versions to try.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
No grain granola. Recipes online, Google it. That is another quick breakfast option. Does require advance preparation, but then you have fifteen breakfasts sorted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1spuds

Pam22896

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Complainers, coriander, horror films
Grilled bacon baked beans and a fried egg

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omelettes are a great breakfast idea, low carb if you put the right things in there. Alternatively if you need an on the go option you can make egg muffins using the same ingredients as you would for omelettes. You can batch cook these and keep them in the fridge to eat hot or cold for convenience.

Reactions: Lizzie2

philly1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yogurt and fruit are also great breakfast options though I know many people don't find them very filling for the first meal of the day.

Reactions: DJC3