1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast ideas

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Donnajs77, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Donnajs77

Donnajs77 · Member

Hello,

I’m after some breakfast ideas, I’m getting fed up of wheatabix does anyone know of over night oats are any good?? I’m type 2

Thank you

2. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oats are pretty high carb, but I think weetabix is even higher carb. What kind of diet do you follow? Have you tested your bg after the weetabix? If it doesn't go up by too much after weetabix I'd expect you can eat oats as well.

Many T2's follow a lower carb diet. Do you like bacon and eggs? Natural Greek yoghurt?

• Like Like x 1
  3. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

If oats don't spike you then overnight oats are great.
    I used to make them all the time before T2 and LCHF but won't be going anywhere near them for a while. I might try some and see how they effect me when I've been going a little longer.

Yogurt, oats and frozen berries layered up and left over night. That's it. Some people love it, some hate the texture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Donnajs77

Donnajs77 · Member

Hi, yeah wheatabix don’t effect my Bg so much I maybe go up by 1mol, I do like bacon and eggs, but I work early mornings so generally eat breakfast at work hence why I eat wheatabix, as we don’t have the means to cook in our canteen, I try to follow a low carb diet, eat a lot of salads and chicken, try to stay away from potatoes and pasta, slowly getting bored with it, but I keep going as I know I have to lol

• Like Like x 1
  5. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Until you have your blood glucose under control, I would avoid any cereals like the plague. My go to breakfast is now scrambled eggs, a slice of black pudding (since controling by BG) and sometimes the "tails" of a fatty bacon. Yum.

• Like Like x 2
  6. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Full fat Greek yoghurt and some berries?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

You could make a nice omelet and eat it cold at work. Lasts for a couple of days too so no need for cooking in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm T2 but on insulin so have a bit more latitude in my choices for breakfast.
    Currently one of my quick and easy low carb options is low carb yoghurt with some stewed apple and berries and it barely affects my BG at all and I have to check if going to drive that BG isn't too low.
    My higher carb option is Oats So Simple at about 32gm carbs per serving including the milk.
    Weetabix appears to be about 72gm carbs per 100g weight and as I don't know the weight of one 'biscuit' I can't suggest the carbs in one. But if you take it with about 200 ml of milk, the milk will add about 9g catbs.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

How about boiling a few eggs? Can use them for breakfast or lunch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

If you like the thought of overnight oats but think they might be too high carb, you could try chia pudding instead, made the previous night and left in the fridge it would be ideal to take to work with you. Add berries and or cream if you want too.
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-chia-pudding

• Like Like x 2
  12. Debandez

Debandez Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

What sort of oats do you use? Thanks

13. 1spuds

1spuds Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thats when its time to hit the net and look up keto and low carb foods.There is plenty of variety.Mrs found a Keto waffle recipe thats actually good,made strawberry jam with Erythritol.Reheat that in the microwave (you do have that hopefully?),add your butter and jam and you would be stylin'! :woot:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mouseee

mouseee · Well-Known Member

I use everyday ordinary porridge oats. Usually the supermarket value range. I use natural yogurt and the frozen berries let all the lovely juices go as they defrost.
    There are masses of different versions to try.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SlimLizzy

SlimLizzy Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

No grain granola. Recipes online, Google it. That is another quick breakfast option. Does require advance preparation, but then you have fifteen breakfasts sorted.

• Like Like x 1
    #15 SlimLizzy, Aug 11, 2019 at 4:49 PM
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  16. Thriving

Thriving · Newbie

I love salad leaves, a rasher of grilled bacon snipped over topped with a couple of boiled eggs, a teaspoon of mixed seeds and some home made french dressing

• Like Like x 2
  17. Pam22896

Pam22896 Type 2 · Newbie

Grilled bacon baked beans and a fried egg

18. philly1991

philly1991 Type 1 · Active Member

Omelettes are a great breakfast idea, low carb if you put the right things in there. Alternatively if you need an on the go option you can make egg muffins using the same ingredients as you would for omelettes. You can batch cook these and keep them in the fridge to eat hot or cold for convenience.

• Like Like x 1
  19. philly1991

philly1991 Type 1 · Active Member

Yogurt and fruit are also great breakfast options though I know many people don't find them very filling for the first meal of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Not sure I'd go for baked beans.. too many carbs.. but the bacon and eggs would be fine.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook