Got to tell you

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
You usually go into starvation mode when you are actually, literally, starving. As in, not getting sufficient calories. With low carb/high fat you get plenty of those, you just cut carbs. The fats you add into your diet make sure you don't end up in starvation mode, or anywhere near Scurvy and the like. :)
Ideal recommendation is of 1000-1500kcal deficit to bring the weight loss, but in this case its more like 2500kcal.
Unless the body weight has been very high and the person was on 3500-4000kcal diet per day, this looks pushing body in state of shock and when there are such huge losses, body goes into starvation mode, irrespective of that body is getting some minimal energy in form of fat. Weight loss might still be seen, but it would change body metabolism methods for conservation of energy.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ideal recommendation is of 1000-1500kcal deficit to bring the weight loss, but in this case its more like 2500kcal.
Unless the body weight has been very high and the person was on 3500-4000kcal diet per day, this looks pushing body in state of shock and when there are such huge losses, body goes into starvation mode, irrespective of that body is getting some minimal energy in form of fat. Weight loss might still be seen, but it would change body metabolism methods for conservation of energy.
Well... I'm not in calorie deficit, what with all the eggs, the bacon and whatnot I consume... Still losing weight though, as I've finally broken through my stall, it seems. You're going with a crash diet's "regulations". Those aren't meant for long-term use, just to get the weight off quick. LCHF is a way of life, you don't stop it, because well... The main goal with LCHF is getting your bloodsugars down. The dropped weight is a happy side effect. And if you're a T2, you're one for life, hence the diet being a for-life deal. You can't keep up a calorie deficit for long without damage. The LCHF/Keto deal is one to get healthy, and stay healthy, long term.

Reactions: Evie-D

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Well... I'm not in calorie deficit, what with all the eggs, the bacon and whatnot I consume... Still losing weight though, as I've finally broken through my stall, it seems. You're going with a crash diet's "regulations". Those aren't meant for long-term use, just to get the weight off quick. LCHF is a way of life, you don't stop it, because well... The main goal with LCHF is getting your bloodsugars down. The dropped weight is a happy side effect. And if you're a T2, you're one for life, hence the diet being a for-life deal. You can't keep up a calorie deficit for long without damage. The LCHF/Keto deal is one to get healthy, and stay healthy, long term.

A weight loss happens when the total engery that you have consumed is less then total spent and hence body uses up stored reserves. No matter what type of diet you follow. Here the energy is represented in calories.

Keto delivers fast weight loss and good results very quickly as the primary source of energy is dried up or limited in keto diet.
But human body is not developed for any method be it keto or be it carb based, it follows in and out or a balanced approach to all the sources of energy.

Keto should be used as a tool achieve right metabolic state which would help body to work normal on basic healthy diet which has a proper ratio of carbs, fats, proteins based on regional diet patterns, food availability and changes in lifestyle comparitively.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am extremely wary of any 'ideal recommendations'. They tend not to work for me. Perhaps they would if my body was 'ideal'?

I much prefer to eat in a manner that suits my body, my appetite and my blood glucose.

@JohnyT2 you may find this thread of interest to you. It lays out what members think of the old Calories In, Calories Out way of thinking quite clearly:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...owing-calorie-restriction-ineffective.166514/

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I am extremely wary of any 'ideal recommendations'. They tend not to work for me. Perhaps they would if my body was 'ideal'?

I much prefer to eat in a manner that suits my body, my appetite and my blood glucose.

@JohnyT2 you may find this thread of interest to you. It lays out what members think of the old Calories In, Calories Out way of thinking quite clearly:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...owing-calorie-restriction-ineffective.166514/

Yups the ideal recommendation is based on a mean considering people in general eat 2000-2500kcal and to reduce weight if they can cut down 1000-1500 it would give them 150-180gm weight loss. This is very generic, but sets up a raw scale.

Every individual is different, so he has to check and make suitable adjustment.

When we say calorie deficit approach, the generic approach is only helpful in weight loss if people dont have diabetes.
With diabetes it also becomes necessary to understand the effect on glucose levels from the sources of calorie consumed.
So if someone is trying to restrict intake to 1000kcal but taking of this from carbs then obviously he might lose weight due to calorie deficit but his blood glucose level will go wacky and soon he will see more fat storage and weight loss stagnant or gaining. Having said that one cannot always win with calorie deficit diet as body adapts to it, so needs to bring in range of variations to keep this going.

None the less i would for sure check the thread that you have shared. Thanks.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yups the ideal recommendation is based on a mean considering people in general eat 2000-2500kcal and to reduce weight if they can cut down 1000-1500 it would give them 150-180gm weight loss. This is very generic, but sets up a raw scale.

Every individual is different, so he has to check and make suitable adjustment.

When we say calorie deficit approach, the generic approach is only helpful in weight loss if people dont have diabetes.
With diabetes it also becomes necessary to understand the effect on glucose levels from the sources of calorie consumed.
So if someone is trying to restrict intake to 1000kcal but taking of this from carbs then obviously he might lose weight due to calorie deficit but his blood glucose level will go wacky and soon he will see more fat storage and weight loss stagnant or gaining. Having said that one cannot always win with calorie deficit diet as body adapts to it, so needs to bring in range of variations to keep this going.

None the less i would for sure check the thread that you have shared. Thanks.
I seriously advise you read the thread before replying....

Reactions: Evie-D

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A weight loss happens when the total engery that you have consumed is less then total spent and hence body uses up stored reserves. No matter what type of diet you follow. Here the energy is represented in calories.

Keto delivers fast weight loss and good results very quickly as the primary source of energy is dried up or limited in keto diet.
But human body is not developed for any method be it keto or be it carb based, it follows in and out or a balanced approach to all the sources of energy.

Keto should be used as a tool achieve right metabolic state which would help body to work normal on basic healthy diet which has a proper ratio of carbs, fats, proteins based on regional diet patterns, food availability and changes in lifestyle comparitively.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree then.