Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You'll have to model it for us, we love a bit of sparkle too ;)

The very lowest one :)

C8A41BC6-97E7-4CCC-9093-ADF44D859068.jpeg

Reactions: WuTwo and becca59

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

University got back to say to say they can't accept work now because the board of examiners are marking it today and the meeting is tomorrow. (they have a tight schedule) I said sorry to myself because I had the opportunity to do it but I spent time feeling sorry for myself and let the negative cookie get in the way of things. So I'll have time to think this through in terms of opportunities - I don't have work experience and I don't have any income to go back to college to do anything that I want to do. So it'll be working for someone to get work experience. The grade boundaries for degree apprenticeships are on par with university entry grades, so I'll have no luck getting one of those. However if I look at level 2 and level 3 apprenticeships, my intellectual ability is above that and the government doesn't cover costs for me because of my age and I've been to university - I think apprenticeships are for 16-24? I've also applied to apprenticeships to see if I'll be accepted, but no one got back to me.

I also don't want to go home because I grew up in a takeaway and my parents will make me work there (my parents have their own businesses, they came to the UK with not a lot of wealth. When they had my brother and myself, they started their own food takeaway business and since then they have been able to buy and invest in properties etc. You could say I've been spoilt by my parents from a very young age.) and it's not really a position to gain life experience or a professional work experience. Nothing wrong with it, it's just I want to meet new people and create a network of people to connect with.

I also have a feeling that university will throw me because I didn't meet their expectations and it was my 3rd attempt to do it. It's kind of like how Russell group universities kick students out for not meeting their grade criteria or fail in certain modules.
My university were nice and generous but they didn't offer me any help with the coursework and that was the same feeling I had when I did my alevels. My bf couldn't help me because he excelled in maths and sciences, same with both of my brothers, my parent's english isn't that great to help me so all in all I had to rely on myself. You could argue that teaching yourself a subject can be difficult without guidance from my lecturers. I mean the powerpoint slides are just a few sentences and a few images, some of my modules don't record their lectures because students won't turn up if they find out it's been recorded. Because I'm not there to record it myself, I lose out as well.

However I am okay, I'm not okay for missing my opportunity and I will take this as a lesson that I need to better myself for me and not for anyone else.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a hypo while drowning in my own tears. So I decided to watch the recent seasons of Brooklyn nine nine while eating junk and now I’m giggling. I feel much better. :)

SorinFitness

Haha great! I managed 5s all day for once thanks to sticking to low carb meals for a full day time for a gin and tonic to celebrate! Slime line of course ...
Thank you for the amazing information! I have had issues for many years, I have recently tried this Diabetes Remedy and it is definitely helping! Here is a link so that other people can get the same benefits as I have

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone got the ninjas arriving soon so making sure ive drank enough coffee ive told their mum to bring wellies as il take them down the park they dont like being stuck indoors for too long as they turn into mini tornedoes destroying everything in their path anyway have a good day everyone regardless of what your doing

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

University got back to say to say they can't accept work now because the board of examiners are marking it today and the meeting is tomorrow. (they have a tight schedule) I said sorry to myself because I had the opportunity to do it but I spent time feeling sorry for myself and let the negative cookie get in the way of things. So I'll have time to think this through in terms of opportunities - I don't have work experience and I don't have any income to go back to college to do anything that I want to do. So it'll be working for someone to get work experience. The grade boundaries for degree apprenticeships are on par with university entry grades, so I'll have no luck getting one of those. However if I look at level 2 and level 3 apprenticeships, my intellectual ability is above that and the government doesn't cover costs for me because of my age and I've been to university - I think apprenticeships are for 16-24? I've also applied to apprenticeships to see if I'll be accepted, but no one got back to me.

I also don't want to go home because I grew up in a takeaway and my parents will make me work there (my parents have their own businesses, they came to the UK with not a lot of wealth. When they had my brother and myself, they started their own food takeaway business and since then they have been able to buy and invest in properties etc. You could say I've been spoilt by my parents from a very young age.) and it's not really a position to gain life experience or a professional work experience. Nothing wrong with it, it's just I want to meet new people and create a network of people to connect with.

I also have a feeling that university will throw me because I didn't meet their expectations and it was my 3rd attempt to do it. It's kind of like how Russell group universities kick students out for not meeting their grade criteria or fail in certain modules.
My university were nice and generous but they didn't offer me any help with the coursework and that was the same feeling I had when I did my alevels. My bf couldn't help me because he excelled in maths and sciences, same with both of my brothers, my parent's english isn't that great to help me so all in all I had to rely on myself. You could argue that teaching yourself a subject can be difficult without guidance from my lecturers. I mean the powerpoint slides are just a few sentences and a few images, some of my modules don't record their lectures because students won't turn up if they find out it's been recorded. Because I'm not there to record it myself, I lose out as well.

However I am okay, I'm not okay for missing my opportunity and I will take this as a lesson that I need to better myself for me and not for anyone else.

Sorry to hear this. I think you should be open to trying any sort of job now, just to explore and see what you'd find really interesting, and enjoy, as maybe you haven't found it yet.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
A grey and rather depressing August morning to you all. I'm wondering what we/I can do to lift our/my spirits. Big hug @MeiChanski
After my pizza fest yesterday and a couple of plums I forgot to mention, it appears that I've lost a little more weight. I do realise it could just be water!! but over the last 7 weeks, I've lost 5lbs so I've got another 9 til reach a thinner me. Exercise is what I need I know or a dog.
Hope the sun shines where you are today:)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone,

New sensor last night, which sat in hypoland pretty much all night, though I wasn't really, except at one point, totally wrecking my 7 day in target libre data. :arghh: It seems to be ok this morning, matching blood tests fairly well. Anyway, can't do anything about that.

Hope everyone has a good day.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski sending hugs but also positive vibes. I often find that things happen a certain way because they are meant to. I always feel calmer by believing this and it helps me adjust. I would say the most important thing to do at the moment is get a job, any job, to bring in some money. It will give a purpose to the day, enable you to remain independent as going backwards to live at home will not be good for body and soul. Once in a job you will then have space to look at what you are going to do. It won’t be a career or a for life job just a stopgap whilst you find your feet. Being with others and having a routine to the day will also be good.

I’m sure my son won’t mind me telling this story, he left school, worked in a call centre for two years, did Camp America and then decided to do a degree. He spent 3 years working hard and doing very well, but ultimately failed his dissertation. He didn’t let us know that the relationship between him and tutor had broken down. He failed by one mark, didn’t want to resubmit and walked away without a degree and lots of debt. Back to the call centre, then applied to the police force, something he had always wanted to do. He was knocked back three times, and was devastated. For 4 years he worked in the police but on the 999s, then despatch and finally as a PCSO. 5 years ago at aged 30 he made it and has done very well. Rising to a good job which he loves. And is very well thought of by his betters. He also has a partner and wonderful son. But looking back there were some very dark days. The one constant was that he kept earning money to support himself as he wanted to be independent and have his own place.

You too will get there but probably not in quite the way you thought.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Gooood morning all
Well the nephrologist said that my kidneys are still at 21 % and doesnt want to see me for 6 months. Happy with that.
Bloods are behaving pretty good too.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! I've hurtled out to do a stock up of the Heavy Awkward Items which fit in the shopping trolley but are a pain to carry home in a backpack - so, washing power, laundry conditioner, cleaning stuff and some reams of paper and am home before the rain really sets in as well as getting on a relatively clear bus with the shopping trolley. Apart from a family with one small child who made her presence well and truly felt and had me pondering if she'd be in my Main Paid Work Place in about 10 years time.

Now pondering tackling the organist's admin pile... it's mostly the stuff I can do to get ahead of myself and keep what I do in term-time to the minimum, but also some proofreading of a couple of service booklets we need to have ready, though I don't think we're likely to use them yet. I need cake as a reward for that one, but as I'm due an Hba1c on Friday, I think I'll save that job until then.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
`5.2 this morning. I needed my goggles and swim fins on this morning's dog walk. Have a great 'wet' day everyone.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, been out running errands since early, plumbers are ripping everything out and have managed to find a way to take the step out of the bathroom - yay! This will defo be quite a long job as there'll be a lot of re-plumbing but also re-making studwork which covers a wildly wobbly wall in the oldest part of the house. I'd leave it exposed but it needs tiling, 'nuff said.

@MeiChanski that must be terribly disappointing. There're a lot of sensible things said by others already; all I have to add is that through taking on a less than exciting Civil Service job straight after A levels, I found my way into the thing I discovered I wanted to do more than anything and am good at. I got all my training for it, stayed for a couple of years then left. After some years in the private sector I've been running my own business for 20 years. Who knew all that would happen? I agree with @becca59, get out there, get doing something, persevere like you've done at uni and who knows? Good luck!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up at 7.4 with a pretty straight line through the night. Not something to really complain about, but still, I wish diabetes would give me a call when it wants a bit more insulin instead of leaving me guessing.

All history now so who cares. And I'm going to pick up another rabbit this afternoon :)
She's the mother of Owie and Suus, the 2 little males I picked up a couple of weeks ago. She's very unhappy being an indoor rabbit with a cage and 2 small children in the household. Her current owner got her when friends emigrated, and she was used to a big garden and no petting.
So my friend decided it would be much better for her and for her children if I adopt the mother and they keep 2 of the babies. Fine with me, big garden and no unwanted petting suits me just fine. It's exactly what I ask for at the guinea-pig shelter when I get guinea-pigs: I'm happy with the ones that don't like human interaction, leaving the cuddly guinea-pigs for others :)

Only problem is, being female, she can't join her sons and the guinea-pigs, so she'll have to live with my 2 ****** female rabbits and the chickens.
Any tips for letting them get used to eachother without seriously hurting eachother? Tips that don't require a lot of handling, as they are hard (if not impossible) to catch?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Fontagarry??
Llantwit Major :)

@MeiChanski - big hugs. I can’t add anything much to what’s already been said, but do try and find a way of retaining independence if you can. I had to give up my PhD biochemistry studies 2/3rds of the way through because of my diabetes diagnosis - a mixed insulin and fixed mealtimes did not work with an erratic lab schedule where I couldn’t eat. I was able to write up my work so far as an MPhil at least, is there any way you can use what you’ve done so far as a slightly lower qualification or bank the points/credits you’ve earned for future study? I really do feel for you right now, having been in a similar position myself.

No idea what’s going on today. Just woken up :D

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up at 7.4 with a pretty straight line through the night. Not something to really complain about, but still, I wish diabetes would give me a call when it wants a bit more insulin instead of leaving me guessing.

All history now so who cares. And I'm going to pick up another rabbit this afternoon :)
She's the mother of Owie and Suus, the 2 little males I picked up a couple of weeks ago. She's very unhappy being an indoor rabbit with a cage and 2 small children in the household. Her current owner got her when friends emigrated, and she was used to a big garden and no petting.
So my friend decided it would be much better for her and for her children if I adopt the mother and they keep 2 of the babies. Fine with me, big garden and no unwanted petting suits me just fine. It's exactly what I ask for at the guinea-pig shelter when I get guinea-pigs: I'm happy with the ones that don't like human interaction, leaving the cuddly guinea-pigs for others :)

Only problem is, being female, she can't join her sons and the guinea-pigs, so she'll have to live with my 2 ****** female rabbits and the chickens.
Any tips for letting them get used to eachother without seriously hurting eachother? Tips that don't require a lot of handling, as they are hard (if not impossible) to catch?
Sorry @Antje77 I have no experience whatsoever of domestic rabbits, other than persuading my dog to steer well clear on the one occasion we went somewhere that had one.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
We had two females, bought as babies at the same time although not of the same breed. They were raised very happily together until they got to be about 18 months old, then Bonnie decided she didn't like Baby anymore and wanted to kill her. Literally.

They were house bunnies so we had to separate off the kitchen, utility and that end of the hall from the sitting room and stairs. Bonnie had the kitchen etc and Baby had the sitting room. Baby was a tiny dwarf and sadly she still adored Bonnie. Desperately.

One day I was just in time to reach down over the gate and grab Baby by the scruff - she had scrabbled her way through it! And I heard Bonnie's teeth snap together as she landed on the space where Baby had been.

It was, in its way, a blessing when Bonnie passed because Baby was more than happy to live with guinea pigs. She was a joy (and not a lot bigger than Roger, the guinea-in-charge).