Reduced carbohydrate intake improves type 2 diabetics' ability to regulate blood sugar

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well some recognition of the truth at last.

"Patients with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to regulate blood sugar levels if they eat food with a reduced carbohydrate content and an increased share of protein and fat. This is shown by a recent study conducted at Bispebjerg Hospital in collaboration with, among other partners, Aarhus University and the Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports at the University of Copenhagen. The findings are contrary to the conventional dietary recommendations for type 2 diabetics."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-carbohydrate-intake-diabetics-ability-blood.html

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm surprised this is even news at this point. We've all known this for a while now. It helps to "think like a pancreas".

Increased carb intake = increased insulin production (in type 2s) or injection requirement (in type 1s) = increased weight and increased sugar variance and increased insulin resistance.

More insulin = more insulin resistance. This happens in type 1s too. The name of the game is to keep your sugars in range, but not by taking more insulin, but by eating fewer carbs in the first place, so you don't need to. This is of course just basic common sense. The inability to metabolize carbohydrates betrays the solution right away: so stop doing that!

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've all known this for a while now
During WWII in the UK food was rationed, according to wiki, diabetics could swap sugar rations for butter, meat and cheese. I'd love to know what information that was based on!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised this is even news at this point. We've all known this for a while now. It helps to "think like a pancreas".

Increased carb intake = increased insulin production (in type 2s) or injection requirement (in type 1s) = increased weight and increased sugar variance and increased insulin resistance.

More insulin = more insulin resistance. This happens in type 1s too. The name of the game is to keep your sugars in range, but not by taking more insulin, but by eating fewer carbs in the first place, so you don't need to. This is of course just basic common sense. The inability to metabolize carbohydrates betrays the solution right away: so stop doing that!

Unfortunately, in today's evidenced base medical wisdom... it has become uncommon sense... if not nonsense...

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a few lost generation, we may be just about to re-discover common sense... a ground breaking discovery indeed.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And just to reiterate...in this 2015 a group of Dr have to publish a paper recommending carbs reduction as first approach in diabetes treatment, a desperate call for common sense to prevail...
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900714003323

upload_2019-8-15_13-36-19.png

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

"Patients with type 2 diabetes improve their ability to regulate blood sugar levels if they eat food with a reduced carbohydrate content and an increased share of protein and fat. This is shown by a recent study conducted at Bispebjerg Hospital in collaboration with, among other partners, Aarhus University and the Department of Nutrition, Exercise and Sports at the University of Copenhagen. The findings are contrary to the conventional dietary recommendations for type 2 diabetics."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-carbohydrate-intake-diabetics-ability-blood.html

Great news @JohnEGreen
Hopefully the start of many such reports.

Liking the acronym they apply in the ongoing report..

Carbohydrate-Reduced High-Protein (CRHP).
Perhaps that might just horrify doctors and others a little less, then us turning their little world upside down by hitting up the HIGH FAT... Part of LCHF :***:

Maybe we don't need them to do any more trials we just need to rebrand what so obviously work, to get them to drop the old recommendations of HCLF...... And embrace our modern, all new and improved, 2.0 diet....CRHP..:D

Last edited:

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think the point is we know it many doctors know it but the bureaucrats that drive the national dietary guide lines need to accept it as well then maybe things will change reports like this may help to overcome that inertia.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers @kokhongw

I liked it, but while they agree with the Denmark trial,
I missed the acronym they used ..:sorry:
Sorry, I blame my old eyes.

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the point is we know it many doctors know it but the bureaucrats that drive the national dietary guide lines need to accept it as well then maybe things will change reports like this may help to overcome that inertia.
What they need to accept is that they were wrong, that's the hard part.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
During WWII in the UK food was rationed, according to wiki, diabetics could swap sugar rations for butter, meat and cheese. I'd love to know what information that was based on!

Attached, the 1936 guidelines.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180728-091541_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20180728-091541_Samsung Internet.jpg
    837.9 KB · Views: 356

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Based on prior knowledge If that's a serious question and not a bit of sarky! A ketogenic diet was used as early as the 1790s to treat (T2) diabetes and was used in the early 1900s (pre insulin discovery) to treat T1s. There's a low carb Diabetic Cookery Book by Rebecca Oppenheimer, published in 1917 (and available as various reprints on Amazon).

So low carb/keto as diabetic control is nothing new - simply the fact that in more recent years some idiots decided that eating fat was "a bad thing". and it appears that in the process diabetic dietary common sense got thrown to the wind.:banghead:

Robbity

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have just been thumbing through the book you just mentioned @Robbity wow such common sense and to think it is 102 years old and is perfect for day to day cooking now.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Nice find John.

Reactions: jjraak

Hoping4Cure

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1

I remember reading about how the food rationing states-side during the Great Depression actually boosted lifespans, temporarily.

I used to think fat-shaming was part of the solution, until I realized that doctors and regulatory bodies such as the FDA are much more responsible for the current obesity epidemic. No one can fault people for listening to their doctor.

When your doctor advises you to use grains as the basis of your diet, it seems inevitable that on a population scale, decades of following the EatWell(tm) standard plate is the culprit.

It's propaganda by the corn / wheat / rice / pasta industry, it seems. It doesn't help when we get so much resistance from the diabetes advice community, even here, as to the medical benefits of low-carbing as a "first class" solution to fully reversing type 2 diabetes, and also an important adjunct for type 1 diabetics to keep their total insulin dose (and complications) to a minimum.

I've gotten censured here multiple times over the years for mentioning going into diabetic comas due to accidental insulin overdose, but I will not apologize for holding my beliefs. Advice that ingesting high levels of carbs is perfectly harmless and safe in type 1 diabetes is reckless, IMO. I'm living proof that it's not safe to just eat whatever you want and take high insulin doses to manage it. I was in 3 comas due to this advice (from my endocrinologist, no less). That's dangerous.

Reactions: Robbity