ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I know how this feels - sometimes it's easier not to eat. It's is all about learning how to insulin dose for normal eating. I'm on a DAFNE course next week to help. Are there any courses where you are?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It has been mentioned that even non diabetics spike and dip throughout the day, they don't have a libre to look at or be aware that they do have bumpy blood sugars. But their insulin response is another story. My graph looks like I've been wild all night - spikes and dips. You can only do your best when it comes to managing your condition, and it's easier to dip your head in the sand, not eat so you don't have to care about yourself. @Jed.s if you're not feeling 100%, please do speak with someone, anyone.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ert I don’t have any courses where I am, @helensaramay I understand what you’re saying, but sometimes it’s easier to just stop eating completely, so that your blood levels stay level, I know that’s dangerous, but there is really no other way unless you eat like carrots all the time, but even carrots have a lot of carbs, everything has carbs and even eating with no carbs, isn’t safe because we need carbs as much as they end up becoming the problem, even when we need them to survive. @MeiChanski I have a lovely girlfriend I can talk to and trust with all my heart, sadly though. Recently our relationship saw a struggle, when I started talking to other people I feel horrible typing this right now but I wasn’t seeing her enough and then, when I thought I’d lose her I thought it’d be a good idea to act out, even more and got drunk, and smoked right in front of her, I am such a f***ing idiot I got this, lovely, beautiful girl standing right in front of me running for me , and I run the other way, all because I couldn’t face her after she had found out, I had been talking to other people I’m such an ass to do that to her she drives hours to see me, and on top of it I upset my sick mother who does absolutely f***ing everything for me and I just tell her to f**k off like who the hell was I to say that to my loving mother it’s all been a bit hard that’s not even the half of it but yea I have my girlfriend to talk to and I can assure you I will not talk to people again because I couldn’t bare to lose her I will break completely my life has been so much better with her and I’ve only realised that now I have no idea why she forgave me but she said because she loves me I’m sorry Rose I love you too babe please don’t leave me

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
this is actually good information, its means that your basal is more or less doing its job.....

this makes establishing the correct ratios much easier.....;)

Last edited:

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@novarapidboi26 it’s only stayed beautifully steady cause I didn’t eat a thing

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@novarapidboi26 it’s only stayed beautifully steady cause I didn’t eat a thing

I realise that....but it means that you can confidently say the issues that you have when eating normally are down to the dose and delivery of your bolus...so easy to fix....

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is another way - take your insulin with your food.
Starving yourself is not the solution.
If you are having problems maintain BG between 4 and 10 whilst eating, you need to urgently talk to your diabetes team.
There are people who have had type 1 diabetes for 50+ years and still going. They have not done so through starving themselves or only eating meat.

No I’ve done my check up my insulin is at the right dosage and whenever I do eat I always have insulin

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But if someone with type 1 eats a low carb high protein meal such as only meat, their BG will rise and they will need insulin.
True... but not what I was replying to?
I was replying to the statement "everything has carbs" .

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
True... but not what I was replying to?
I was replying to the statement "everything has carbs" .
You’re not wrong there. But type ones don’t need to avoid carbs provided they can dose insulin correctly for them. And when we cut carbs (as I myself do), we also need to learn to dose for protein, which is just as complicated, if not more so. The bg rise for proteins differs not just between type of animal consumed but also by cut sometimes. It can be an absolute minefield.

Edited to add - there’s literally no such thing as a “free food” for a type one. Everything has to be accounted for and dosed accordingly.

Jed.s

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You’re not wrong there. But type ones don’t need to avoid carbs provided they can dose insulin correctly for them. And when we cut carbs (as I myself do), we also need to learn to dose for protein, which is just as complicated, if not more so. The bg rise for proteins differs not just between type of animal consumed but also by cut sometimes. It can be an absolute minefield.

There is no easy part of this chronic illness we all suffer

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don’t think I “suffer” as such - although I have taken on that mentality in the past. I refuse to be a victim anymore. It’s robbed me of almost twenty years, and I realised the choice was either “get busy living or get busy dying” and I chose to live.

Reactions: JudyLee and ert

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I don't feel ill anymore since I began taking insulin. It's a lifesaver, literally.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Jed.s T1D is a real PITA 24/7. I have been type 1 for 48 years. I eat what I want, when I want. As long as you get your carb ratio and carb counting correct you will get a straightish line. We all get it totally wrong on times. Even a "normal" persons pancreas doesn't produce a straight line all the time.
You mention that there is no DAFNE course where you are!? Where do you live? Have a look at BERTIE online

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Here is a pretty typical day. I eat a lot of carbs but my basal and bolus are all tuned in. It has taken a while to get to this stage BUT it is doable
Screenshot_20190816-125522_xDrip%2B.jpeg

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant close minded people. Diabetes and its associated maladies (obv..), modern society, rudeness.

Edited to add - there’s literally no such thing as a “free food” for a type one. Everything has to be accounted for and dosed accordingly.
can you link me some good info on dosing for protein please, ive just overhauled my entire approach after failing for years on my old system and know nothing about dosing for protein, i have always been told by med pros that it is free from carbs, but that would explain my spikes if this is not the case.

Streather \m/

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ignorant close minded people. Diabetes and its associated maladies (obv..), modern society, rudeness.
@ert I don’t have any courses where I am, @helensaramay I understand what you’re saying, but sometimes it’s easier to just stop eating completely, so that your blood levels stay level, I know that’s dangerous, but there is really no other way unless you eat like carrots all the time, but even carrots have a lot of carbs, everything has carbs and even eating with no carbs, isn’t safe because we need carbs as much as they end up becoming the problem, even when we need them to survive. @MeiChanski I have a lovely girlfriend I can talk to and trust with all my heart, sadly though. Recently our relationship saw a struggle, when I started talking to other people I feel horrible typing this right now but I wasn’t seeing her enough and then, when I thought I’d lose her I thought it’d be a good idea to act out, even more and got drunk, and smoked right in front of her, I am such a f***ing idiot I got this, lovely, beautiful girl standing right in front of me running for me , and I run the other way, all because I couldn’t face her after she had found out, I had been talking to other people I’m such an ass to do that to her she drives hours to see me, and on top of it I upset my sick mother who does absolutely f***ing everything for me and I just tell her to f**k off like who the hell was I to say that to my loving mother it’s all been a bit hard that’s not even the half of it but yea I have my girlfriend to talk to and I can assure you I will not talk to people again because I couldn’t bare to lose her I will break completely my life has been so much better with her and I’ve only realised that now I have no idea why she forgave me but she said because she loves me I’m sorry Rose I love you too babe please don’t leave me

Dude, i get it so much i struggle to adequately put it into words, the only times my blood sugars behave are when i abstain completely from food, but I've ended up ruined from it. i have been in a constant burnout cycle for near 2 decades and the help where i live is just not there, nor is the understanding from the medical services or the recognition of the actuality of living with this ******* demon on your back all day, everyday.
I keep trying but it is difficult at the best of times. my blood sugar fluctuations effect my mood and send me into terrible rages which i am aware of but this somehow makes it worse. People worried about me and trying to help often sent me further into depressive rages, not at them, but just in general, which also effects my sugars by spiking them which in turn effects my mental clarity and ability to deal with things.
Everything effects it and i have found this is not often pointed out by the professionals, and if your like me, you will be a stubborn ****** and claim you are coping when you are falling apart, and they will let you do it. Please be completely transparent and honest with them, get them the data they require, as much of a ball-ache as it can be and talk as much as possible to other t1s to see what has worked for them, each person i have spoken to with this disease has a very personalised and unique experience of it, tailored to them.
Remember that the highs and the huge swings effect your mind massively and throw you into chaos, which begins viscous circles within vicious circles. Tighter control, however hard and unachievable it seems, will make things easier when achieved and give you a base point to aim for if things go awry.

Also i have had trouble dealing with issues like smoking, drinking and narcotics in the past, it was part of my rebelling against the disease. feel free to chat about anything with myself and I'm sure others on this site. we will all be happy to help if we can, even if its just for perspective and so you don't feel so alone.

It sound like you have an amazingly supportive partner (i instantly like her cause she shares the same name as my better half, who has helped me tremendously in dealing with things) and mother, let them help as well, the right support makes all the difference, take them to appointment with you so you have someone else fighting in your corner that wont let you get steamrollered by the system, others who see the effects on you are much more likely to push hard when the services are being stubborn or uncooperative. get yourself and them as educated about the condition as possible, use this site and all resources at you disposal. take lists or email the endo/db nurse your concerns and problems so you can work through them and find solutions that work for you and not forget things when you are there, remember, you are the expert on you, cliche, but for a bloody good reason.

sorry for going on so long but your problems hit home hard with myself. stay well and keep fighting dude.
Don't let the ******* win.

Kind Regards,
Terry Streather.
T1 since '87 aged 4