Fiberflour

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Thats what Im hoping - the fibre flour is 42g fibre per 100g compared to 9g per 100g for oats - if nothing else itll be good for transit issues!
The 42 g of fibre is from a 9 different sources, a third is soluble fibre. Oat bran and linseed has multiple fibre types and polyphenols eg beta-glucans and lignans. Regarding price it should not be compared with cheap high glycemic wheat flour but nutraceutical prebiotic and omega3 supplements which are very expensive. With fiberflour you can get all of this in your pizza dough, cookie or muffin and have fun too.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Thinking of buying some of this but wondering can it be used for thickening sauces? Also is it used in the same quantities as flour in recipes?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've bought some of this and thinking of using it for the first time tomorrow to make pancakes. Not sure what quantities I'll use yet but fingers crossed it will work as it will be nice to have pancakes with my son instead of just making them for him.

Reactions: Incyb

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've bought some of this and thinking of using it for the first time tomorrow to make pancakes. Not sure what quantities I'll use yet but fingers crossed it will work as it will be nice to have pancakes with my son instead of just making them for him.
I might try that just out of curiosity but I suspect the pancakes will fall apart if they are thin due to the grainy nature of Fiberflour.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My pancakes made with Fiberflour were are failure. As I suspected, they didn't have enough elasticity and fell apart when I tried to turn them. I also forgot that they need sweetener and I don't have any! Fiberflour does make good chapattis though if you like the thin old school wholemeal type.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My pancakes made with Fiberflour were are failure. As I suspected, they didn't have enough elasticity and fell apart when I tried to turn them. I also forgot that they need sweetener and I don't have any! Fiberflour does make good chapattis though if you like the thin old school wholemeal type.

Sorry, only just see this. Yeah, mine didn't work either. Initially the batter was very thick - I had one pancake that fell apart but was edible. I then added some milk to make the batter thinner and then they just didn't work at all. Oh well, at least pancake day is only once a year!

Do you make the chappatis from the recipe on the fiberflour website? I made the biscuits from their recipe and they're a bit.......meh

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, only just see this. Yeah, mine didn't work either. Initially the batter was very thick - I had one pancake that fell apart but was edible. I then added some milk to make the batter thinner and then they just didn't work at all. Oh well, at least pancake day is only once a year!

Do you make the chappatis from the recipe on the fiberflour website? I made the biscuits from their recipe and they're a bit.......meh
Yes. The chapattis were the reason I bought the flour. I read a report about a doctor in Slough who was recommending it to his South Asian diabetic patients. Note that they are flat chapattis a bit like a wholemeal wrap, not raised like naan bread.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes. The chapattis were the reason I bought the flour. I read a report about a doctor in Slough who was recommending it to his South Asian diabetic patients. Note that they are flat chapattis a bit like a wholemeal wrap, not raised like naan bread.
Thanks Mr Pot, i'll give them a go.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I spend most days staring at calorie and carbohydrate value of foods as I have natural aversion to walking past cake shops.!

A few weeks ago I noticed something really interesting. “Low” calorie vegetables are not low calorie when looking at their dry weight. In addition (before any refining) most are about the same calories and carbohydrates. The main factor is water content to determine a low from a high cal - carb vegetable. PS I’ve not looked at Fibre Content as well

------------------------------------------------------------|
|Vegetables.DRIED.|......................|..........|.......|
|per.100.gram.....|.Notes................|.Calories.|.Carbs.|
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
|Potato...........|Smash.instant.*.......|.340......|..71g..|
|Celery...........|Raw.*.and.**..........|.320......|..59g..|
|Lettuce..........|Green.leaf.*.and.**...|.375......|..72g..|
|Onion............|Dehydrated.flakes.*...|.349......|..83g..|
|Wheat............|Whole.grain.flour.*...|.340......|..72g..|
|CousCous.........|*.....................|.376......|..77g..|
|Rice.............|Long.grain.generic.*..|.360......|..72g..|
|Oats.............|Instant.*.............|.388......|..71g..|
-------------------------------------------------------------

References

*.http://www.myfitnesspal.com.(Food.database)

**.http://www.awakeandliving.com/awake-living/vegan-lifestyle/

An example of what this could mean. Munching on lettuce achieves exactly the same as someone eating rice and potatoes followed by a swig of diet coke (at 1 calorie a tin to rehydrate to same level).

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what your point is here. 100g of dehydrated lettuce would come from an enormous amount of fresh lettuce so it is not surprising that it contains a lot of carbs.

Edit: this was a reply to @rmz80

Last edited:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did people try letting the batter stand in the fridge overnight?
I am assuming you are referring to the pancake experiments. No, I only left the batter for about an hour. I was making the pancakes alongside my daughter who was making conventional ones and the batter from the Fiberflour was more like a thin soup and didn't have the viscosity of the real batter. I don't think leaving it longer would have helped.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I ask because I used to use a wholegrain batter mix that needed to be left overnight, as otherwise, the fibre did not absorb the liquid.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I left mine overnight and it didn't work. I'm going to try again with a small amount of mixture, leave it quick thick and see if I (well my husband really) can make scotch type pancakes.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just made my first batch of rolls. Texture is bread like but taste was bland so next time i will need more salt. I may try the chapattis.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just made my first batch of rolls. Texture is bread like but taste was bland so next time i will need more salt. I may try the chapattis.
Do you have a recipe for the rolls please, we have some 100% beef burgers in the freezer and some halloumi fries that I want to use? TIA

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just looked and it is out of stock at Amazon.

Available from the web site, though.

I think I will give it a try for the pizza base and flat breads.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am assuming you are referring to the pancake experiments. No, I only left the batter for about an hour. I was making the pancakes alongside my daughter who was making conventional ones and the batter from the Fiberflour was more like a thin soup and didn't have the viscosity of the real batter. I don't think leaving it longer would have helped.
Are people aware of the thickening properties of ground linseed? (Apologies - I haven't taken the time to read all the way through this thread.) I haven't used ground linseed for pancakes, but I mix it with Slim rice, Erythritol and double cream for an acceptable (and no-cook) version of rice pudding. Just one flat dessertspoon of linseed thickens up 5 dessert spoons of cream to a surprising degree. Perhaps those who make chia porridge are already aware of this.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are people aware of the thickening properties of ground linseed? (Apologies - I haven't taken the time to read all the way through this thread.) I haven't used ground linseed for pancakes, but I mix it with Slim rice, Erythritol and double cream for an acceptable (and no-cook) version of rice pudding. Just one flat dessertspoon of linseed thickens up 5 dessert spoons of cream to a surprising degree. Perhaps those who make chia porridge are already aware of this.
Regarding pancakes, this recipe which uses Pysyllium Husk for the thickening, looks promising but I haven't tried it yet.

Coconut Pancakes
Ingredients

1 Tbsp Coconut Flour.
1 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil.
60ml Milk.
1 Large Egg.
1 tsp Psyllium Husk.
1 pinch Salt.
Method
Whisk and stand for 5 mins.
Fry in very hot pan.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting recipe! You have encouraged me to try something similar sometime. I think I would try to reduce the carbs by replacing the milk by watered down double cream, and also the coconut flour by ground linseed. I suggest it would be vital to mix the psyllium husk thoroughly with the dry flour before adding any liquid. In my experience, psyllium turns into an intractable jelly the moment it is in contact with any fluid.