Meds

D

Deleted member 308541

How come you dont take them anymore?
Because my hba1c has been in 34 mmol;/mol region for the past six tests, and my GP says I am have excellent diabetic control so I stopped taken them three months ago.

If I lived in the UK I would be in remission, they do not use that wording here according to my GP and Diabetes Queensland.

Edit: Bit dyslexic in the last sentence...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SaskiaKC

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
None - I was put on Metformin straight from diagnosis, but it made me so ill combined with Atorvastatin I threw it away.

Reactions: Flora123

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None, elected to try and wrangle control with diet first - and it works

D

Deleted member 308541

I never had any gut / stomach / scouring problems with either Metformin normal or XR versions, I started off with XR but they were in short supply so took the normal ones till the supply sorted it self out.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None... It made me so ill I looked for alternatives. On LCHF and later Keto & IF, I've been in the normal range for about 3 years.
What dose of metformin are people on?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
None and have had normal levels since coming off statins approx 6 years ago.

Dj75

Thats great well done
Because my hba1c has been in 34 mmol;/mol region for the past six tests, and my GP says I am have excellent diabetic control so I stopped taken them three months ago.

If I lived in the UK I would be in remission, they do not use that wording here according to my GP and Diabetes Queensland.

Edit: Bit dyslexic in the last sentence...

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
3 * 500 mg.
Contemplating increasing medication 11 years after diagnosis.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
2 X 1,000 mg. It supposed to lower the amount of sugar produced in the liver, and increase the sensitivity of muscle cells to insulin.

I don't always see signs of the first claim, I think I'm right in saying that the dawn phenomena is the liver putting glucose into the blood stream. Can't tell about the second claim although I've had three insulin resistance test which have shown it changes. I would need to do the test again, while taking and then not taking to confirm.

I had horrendous problems with metformin in the early days (1997 - 2002). I was put on Rosiglitazone instead, an even bigger disaster. Put back on Metformin and it's nowhere near as bad although I also lowered my carbs which may have had an effect?

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
None, don't need them. Cutting out the carbs, upped the fat does the trick.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Was never offered meds, just told to try diet control.