Type 2 Extreme Drowsiness

Dors5166

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed a couple of years ago as a type 2 Diabetic. I've never really adjusted my diet that much so I know there's a lot of room for improvement. However on the whole, I eat fairly well. For the last month or so, I seem unable to carry out my normal day to day work activities without nearly falling asleep. It's more than just usual tiredness, it's complete exhaustion to the point of my hands dropping on my keyboard, my head drooping, I start mumbling and my eyes closing. I have just had a further HBA1C test but my last one showed an increase to 57. I've got a testing machine and test my blood when I wake up and it's always around 9 despite me fasting for 8-10 hours. During the day it averages around 7 and depending on what we've had for tea, it will be somewhere between 7-10. I rarely get a higher reading. The averages come back at 9.4.
Clearly I can't go on like this. Is the drowsiness likely to be caused by my diabetes?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome.

In short, yes. Higher blood glucose levels can cause fatigue. My advice would be to revisit your diet and see if there is something there that is hindering your improvement.
Could you tell us what you eat in a typical day, please. And what, if any, medications you take.

Last edited:

ShortStuff

Absolutely!

I normally eat about 30g of carbs a day.

I’m currently on holiday in France & while I’m here I allow myself ‘treats’. Based on the fact that whilst I don’t want diabetic complications, a couple of weeks where I have the odd ‘treat’ shouldn’t do too much harm and it gives me something to look forward to.

Out of the things I like here, the bread is ‘up there’ so today I had a good walk to a local swimming hole planned, so allowed myself a ‘treat’ of a Brie & salad baguette to take with me. It was a great walk, lovely dip and yummy baguette

But despite all the walking, I feel like absolute **** now. I just want to sleep!! And today’s conclusion is that whilst I absolutely did enjoy the baguette, it simply wasn’t worth it!!

Low carbing never gives me loads of energy or makes me feel amazing as many others claim but certain carby food certainly makes me feel dreadful, so I’m sure that all carbs must be having this affect albeit at a slightly less aggressive rate

As when I’m not low carbing at home I feel as you describe.

I just find it difficult to do sometimes as a non egg eating vegetarian - but I definitely feel less exhausted/sleepy/dreadful

HTH

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I was diagnosed a couple of years ago as a type 2 Diabetic. I've never really adjusted my diet that much so I know there's a lot of room for improvement. However on the whole, I eat fairly well. For the last month or so, I seem unable to carry out my normal day to day work activities without nearly falling asleep. It's more than just usual tiredness, it's complete exhaustion to the point of my hands dropping on my keyboard, my head drooping, I start mumbling and my eyes closing. I have just had a further HBA1C test but my last one showed an increase to 57. I've got a testing machine and test my blood when I wake up and it's always around 9 despite me fasting for 8-10 hours. During the day it averages around 7 and depending on what we've had for tea, it will be somewhere between 7-10. I rarely get a higher reading. The averages come back at 9.4.
Clearly I can't go on like this. Is the drowsiness likely to be caused by my diabetes?
Hi Dors5166,

Oh yeah, high blood sugar levels will make you drowsy indeed. And you mention you eat fairly well over all, but is that well according to the eatwell plate, or well specifically for T2's? Because the eatwell plate is basically poison when you have an impaired metabolism, like we do. Practically all carbs turn to (blood) glucose once ingested, so yeah... It's not just sugars, but starches you have to watch out for too. And fats are good, rather than the enemy. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is my own little quick-start guide, but there's a lot more to read/discover in Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, dietdoctor.com and diabetes.co.uk (Not .org!).

Can you let us know what you're eating? Maybe we can help.
Good luck,
Jo

Dors5166

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome.

In short, yes. Higher blood glucose levels can cause fatigue. My advice would be to revisit your diet and see if there is something there that is hindering your improvement.
Could you tell us what you eat in a typical day, please. And what, if any, medications you take.
Today as an example I had a small piece of whole meal toast and marmite followed by apple and fat free Greek yogurt with a few seeds. At lunch time
I had a frittata with onions, a small amount of
potato and cheese with tomatoes and rocket followed by fruit. Tonight I have skinny sausages, broccoli and small amount of mash. Because of the sleepiness I did eat 3 fruit shortcake thins. I tried doing no carbs for a few days last wk and one day I felt amazing and thought I’d cracked it but the following few days I felt rubbish again. The dr has made an appointment for me this week about my Blood tests. Currently I don’t take any medication.
I will definitely take your advice and revisit my diet

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today as an example I had a small piece of whole meal toast and marmite followed by apple and fat free Greek yogurt with a few seeds. At lunch time
I had a frittata with onions, a small amount of
potato and cheese with tomatoes and rocket followed by fruit. Tonight I have skinny sausages, broccoli and small amount of mash. Because of the sleepiness I did eat 3 fruit shortcake thins. I tried doing no carbs for a few days last wk and one day I felt amazing and thought I’d cracked it but the following few days I felt rubbish again. The dr has made an appointment for me this week about my Blood tests. Currently I don’t take any medication.
I will definitely take your advice and revisit my diet
If you go low carb, you can experience what is known as carb-flu or keto-flu. Basically your body is getting rid of a lot of fluids the carbs were holding on to, so when you lose the water weight by urinating a lot, you also lose a lot of electrolytes, like salt. That can cause headaches, fatigue, muscle and joint pain... It's easily solved by having some electrolytes through bone broth or coconut milk/water, because you're basically dehydrated for a bit as your body finds a way to adjust. It takes a little while, couple of days, usually, and then you feel better on the other end. Because honestly, with the diet you're on now... If I ate that, I'd be seeing bloodsugars high enough to put me straight on insulin. So I'm not surprised you're feeling tired. That's more carbs in a day than I eat in two weeks or more. So there's certainly room for improvement there, meaning there is something you can do that'll make you feel better. Yay! (Just see it through for a bit and you'll be fine!)

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Dors5166

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the advice, I definitely think I need to
overhaul my diet. I can’t go on like this. You’re right I’m doing well with a ‘normal’ diet but probably not so good for a diabetic! Thanks for your help

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You have a few carby foods in your example day, and unfortunately eating fruit shortbread when you felt rubbish was the last thing you needed to do. If you reduce your carbs slowly you might avoid the carb flu that Jo describes. I did that, started at 100g/day and gradually reduced to 30-50g/day, which is where I stay.
Here is a couple of guides to get you started with low carb eating:
https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Reactions: Dors5166

ShortStuff

Thanks for the advice, I definitely think I need to
overhaul my diet. I can’t go on like this. You’re right I’m doing well with a ‘normal’ diet but probably not so good for a diabetic! Thanks for your help

It is SO tempting when you feel like that to eat something like biscuits, but it’s absolutely the worst thing you can do, as the secondary crash is worse than the first! (It doesn’t always stop me though, but I’m getting better at not acting like an idiot when I KNOW better!) I try to either not eat anything or just have a piece of cheese and go for a walk. Or even just do a few active things around the house. I don’t ‘want’ to, I WANT to sleep/eat but I’m getting better at doing what I know makes me feel better instead of what I feel like

From what you posted about what you ate, I wouldn’t have the toast, apple, potatoes or mashed potato / let alone all in one day. As you say though you’ve reduced them well for an ‘normal’ diet, just not enough for a diabetic diet.

It’s not easy but it is worth it.

Last edited:

mouseee

I'm not even a month post t2 diagnosis but having embraced LC I have seen a huge turn around in energy levels as I my BG has gone down. I was crawling into bed at 8.30 or earlier and forcing my self up in the morning for work later and later each day. Now able to stay up later and get up earlier.
I've gone probably down to 30g per day and my plan is to up it if i need to by adding in new foods making sure they don't spike me. There are some useful apps which tell you carbs or I have to remember my glasses when I shop to check labels.
I am now trying different foods and seeing if they effect my BG testing 2hrs after food. Today was chickpeas. Falafel is now back on the menu again.
Everyone is different but it's working for me and I'm looking forward to my next Hba1c in a way. My meter makes me see that what I'm doing is having an immediate effect. I need that instant feedback.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hello - welcome to the Forum.
You appear to be suffering quite a marked degree of fatigue, I would be hesitant to ascribe this to your diabetes until you've been checked out for any other reversible causes for fatigue - of which their are a few - anaemia, low thyroid to name a couple.
Your numbers that you've given us aren't bad really, yes dietary manipulation might get them a bit better, but I don't think there would be a magical disappearance of fatigue. Go see your GP. Good luck.

DawnOfTheZed

To add to &Struma's great post, I felt dreadful with a dx hb1c of 47, so it might just be your diabetes. However as well as anemia and thyroid you should ask your GP to check your vitamin + minerals too? Have you been on metformin? It can deplete B12 from the body.

I found it easy to change my diet because I felt so bl**dy awful before the change and felt increasingly better on it. A why would I want to feel cr@* again?

Also high carbs leads to hyperinsulinenia and insulin resistance for T2 which leads to grelin and other hunger hormones increasing. It's a vicious circle. Try getting off it for 2 weeks and see if that helps? Best wishes

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To add to &Struma's great post, I felt dreadful with a dx hb1c of 47, so it might just be your diabetes. However as well as anemia and thyroid you should ask your GP to check your vitamin + minerals too? Have you been on metformin? It can deplete B12 from the body.

I found it easy to change my diet because I felt so bl**dy awful before the change and felt increasingly better on it. A why would I want to feel cr@* again?

Also high carbs leads to hyperinsulinenia and insulin resistance for T2 which leads to grelin and other hunger hormones increasing. It's a vicious circle. Try getting off it for 2 weeks and see if that helps? Best wishes

I would agree with that.
Both @Struma and @DawnOfTheZed ..(love that monicker)
Make good point, doctors is in order.

But having said that, if I eat anything carby, I get that sleepy feeling too.

As @JoKalsbeek days, the first few weeks Lower carb and I too felt dreadful with carb flu.
Bed early, constantly tired, late for work because I just couldn't wake myself up.. And I just didn't care either... So unlike me.

Could be the carbs, but worryingly after so long if on Metformin, vit B, could of taken a hit

Pretty serious stuff, worth getting tested, imho

Last edited:

DawnOfTheZed

I would agree with that.
Both @Struma and @DawnOfTheZed ..(love that monicker)

Thanks @jjraak. Reflected my fatigue/brain fog/zombie feelings at dx. I might consider changing it in due course. Today I contemplated an exercise activity pattern to cover everyday of the week. Just thinking that is BIG for me. Took me a couple of months from dx to try my first exercise class after several years of none. Now up to a couple a week regularly without zombieness!
Sorry if Ive deflected the topic, I hope it useful to OP on 'recovery' times.