Looking for Vegan Testimonials...

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
(If the treatment involved having to do something with a group of people or a shrink, I don't need to know about it. But if it's something I can do at home without having to deal with other humans, please let me know! I'm doing better than I was a few years ago, but sometimes.... It still gets me.)

Sorry, EMDR with a therapist. But an absolutely amazing technique. Glad you are doing better though.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another thing to note is that people have different carb tolerances at different body weights.

I believe @Walking Girl underwent a strict weight reduction phase before achieving the current successful blood glucose levels she has whilst on vegetarian/vegan eating.

A T2 with a fatty liver and high blood glucose won’t be able to tolerate many carbs.

That same person could lose significant weight, de-fatifies their liver, gets normal glucose levels and increased carb tolerance (what is often referred to as ‘reversal’).

If they achieve that, then their body will be much more able to tolerate the carbs that are typically present in a vegan way of eating.

So basically I suppose I am saying that whatever way of eating we choose, T2s need to factor in their current carb tolerance and goals. If weight loss is wanted, and blood glucose reduction is needed, and a vegan way of eating is desired, then try starting with a vegan keto weight loss regime and reassess carb/keto intake after the weight loss is achieved (and if reversal is achieved).

Personally, I would want to know whether I had a fatty liver before I started aiming for reversal by such a programme. My own blood glucose dysregulation is not due to a fatty liver and would not be ‘reversed’ by either weight loss or eating a plant based diet. Indeed my health would deteriorate on such a programme, so I would urge anyone to consider the full ramifications to any major diet change before jumping in.

Well, yes and no.. I ate my current plan while losing weight, just less of it. I did do one very low calorie stint, but that was at the end to get it over with. My step on day 1 after diagnosis was up the vegetables significantly (even the starchy/“sugary” ones) skip any junk food, all “white carbs (bread/pasta/white potatoes) etc. I also dropped cheese, oils/butter as too calorie - laden. I absolutely ate beans and root vegetables on the way down...of both A1c and weight. My fasting BG is tied directly my weight, my postprandial improved immediately upon dietary change and well before significant weight loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: LoubyLou 2

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, EMDR with a therapist. But an absolutely amazing technique. Glad you are doing better though.
Ah, thought it might be that. Heard it was very effective for my mom and quite a few other people I know. Not an option for me, but glad it helped you! :)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Post edited. Sorry to cause offense.

But for the record, I have PTSD and have found, thankfully, successful treatment for it. So, I certainly know it’s serious.
And I think anyone and you in particular should be able to make a joke about anything. Not talking/joking about mental health issues doesn't help people recover IMO.

Reactions: Walking Girl

LoubyLou 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this thread, I've stalled as a Vegetarian who often eats Vegan too. I lost 4 stone, lowered my HBA thingy to a non diabetic level then stalled and put one stone back on and the HBA had ridden enough for the DN to get her triumphant 'I and the NHS and you are wrong' head on. I have lost some of that one stone i put on but not fully. I think I probably need to lower the nuts and cheese even more. I have lowered the beans and pulses significantly but now after reading some of the posts above, I think I will get the monitor out and check what the reading is in case I can eat more of them than others etc.

Someone linked me to a thread about how to do the monitoring so I will go see if I can work out how and when to do this.

Are there many Vegetarians (or Vegans, as this is a Vegan thread) who have been significantly successful?