Not open for further replies.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @achyut1939

i edited that for accuracy..hth's

T2 no insulin, Diet & Met..doing ok..cheers.

Q for any Type 1's

IF you COULD drop insulin by simply making dietary changes.....would you ?
Just curious.
It is a difficult because everyone is on different insulin levels and ratios. Type 1s could all eat the same lchf meal, be on different levels of insulin and have different BG levels. I know I've been doing lchf for some time now and sometimes I need extra insulin to correct. However, spikes and hypos are to a minimal.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wish it was that easy, but sadly not!

well i realise that...LoL

hence why it was worded as such 'IF'.

Just curious if we really understand the choices.

For me t2..i wanted to make it as diet based as possible, and so far it's going well

For a type one, reality accepted that Insulin IS essential , of course...
IF you could manage your T1 WITH JUST a change of diet, would you make that change.

If the answer was yes, then that's the mindset myself and so many other T2's seem to have.

Reactions: porl69
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Type 1s could all eat the same lchf meal, be on different levels of insulin and have different BG levels.

Wouldn't it be great if we had a good diabetes groundhog day and then, repeated and repeated, but, we know it doesn't work that way don't we ? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Daphne917

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
And my choice is to consume 120grams of carbs per day max without medication, until such time that I need to change that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
IF you could manage your T1 WITH JUST a change of diet, would you make that change.

Good question, ( I do manage my TI as carefully as I can, as I don't just eat anything and inject) but then, I probably wouldn't be classed as type 1, as no auto immune condition, hence no Insulin.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Now testing and taking insulin has become part of my way of life and I have no major side effects, probably not.

A change in diet still wouldn't alter the fact that we have to take Insulin, personally I would rather not, even though it's just a small part of who I am, tbh, I would gladly do without it.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
well i realise that...LoL

hence why it was worded as such 'IF'.

Just curious if we really understand the choices.

For me t2..i wanted to make it as diet based as possible, and so far it's going well

For a type one, reality accepted that Insulin IS essential , of course...

If the answer was yes, then that's the mindset myself and so many other T2's seem to have.

Would I change my diet, probably not.....after 48 years of diabetes I know nothing else except being diabetic and injecting (or pumping now)

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @achyut1939

Q for any Type 1's

Just curious.

Most definitely, YES. Why would anybody wish to take a hormone that (can) have a massive impact on their day to day life? I don't like taking so much as a pain killer and if there was something that was within my power that meant I could stop taking insulin, I would do it. There isn't of course. Don't get me wrong, I have NO issue with insulin per se, it keeps people alive after all but if my body would produce it that would be fab.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Most definitely, YES. Why would anybody wish to take a hormone that (can) have a massive impact on their day to day life? I don't like taking so much as a pain killer and if there was something that was within my power that meant I could stop taking insulin, I would do it. There isn't of course. Don't get me wrong, I have NO issue with insulin per se, it keeps people alive after all but if my body would produce it that would be fab.
You can 'ave some of mine if you like. At cost ;)

Reactions: Kim Possible

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to add to the people with type 1 who seem to be unable to answer your question with a direct yes or no.

It depends how extreme the dietary change would be. If it is cutting down on carbs and I can continue with the rest of my active life which includes lots of travel, exercise and sometimes, stress, I would have considered it seriously when I was first diagnosed.
Now testing and taking insulin has become part of my way of life and I have no major side effects, probably not.

The idea of injecting every day for the rest of your life seems mammoth but once you get the hang of it, it is just another part of who I am.

And that's as honest an answer as I'd expect.

Pretty sure that IF I had been DX as type 1 .. The weeks n months after..I'd of
said yes.
But once it becomes a way of life, could I really envisage another way..mmm

For me as aT2... The idea, with the possibility (most likely) that I'd slide into increased doses to manage the ever worsening BG levels, would be something I would do almost anything to avoid.... Others are free to differ and choose others routes.

Thanks @helensaramay .. a decent answer as always.

Last edited:

loiphamp

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Other
And my choice is to consume 120grams of carbs per day max without medication, until such time that I need to change that.
I ate green stuffs for 3 years now I can eat whatever I want to eat sometimes over 200 gr/day without med or insulin and I still in normal range (BG)

Reactions: mojo37

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are a type 2 diabetic, you can eat your normal daily diet, which you are accustomed. It is not necessary to eat LCHF diet. However, you should control the portion size of your diet to less than 120 carbs per day, and take insulin/medicines of required dosage. This is my personal opinion only. I am 80 years old. I am having type 2 diabetes from 30 years. I eat cooked rice-vegetable diet every day limiting it to 120 carbs per day. I take 30/70 premixed insulin 40 units before breakfast, and 20 units before dinner. My bg levels are under control, except for occasional hypers, and hypos. I do not have any diabetic complications till now. I would like to invite the opinion/comments of the other members on this.

I think maybe more people eat LCHF than strictly *need* to, but I think many do so because they like it. It’s a fairly easy diet to follow, both at home and eating out, and I think people find it tasty - so why not? It seems like LCHF gets discussed by some as a “must do”, but for many it seems like a “like to do.” So, awesome. If you don’t have to eat LCHF AND don’t want to then don’t.

The only thing I get irked about is people thinking there is only one way for everyone and assuming anyone not managing diabetes their way is not in control, not healthy, etc. Personal preference, age, cultural differences, other health concerns, etc matter and should not be dismissed.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I ate green stuffs for 3 years now I can eat whatever I want to eat sometimes over 200 gr/day without med or insulin and I still in normal range (BG)
Could you expand this "green stuff" a bit for me, please.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi @achyut1939

Q for any Type 1's

Just curious.
Type 1's can't drop insulin. It's as hypothetical as asking us whether we'd like to live on the moon without oxygen.
Drop insulin, meaning drop your insulin dosage? That's something we can do. I take less insulin by following LCHF and Bernstein.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
The question also works in reverse.
As a T2 would you decide to inject insulin so that you could eat (more or less) anything on the menu?
I know at least one T2 who made that decision on diagnosis.
Test BG, calculate carbs in meal, inject.

No requirement to change lifestyle apart from insulin calculations.

I wouldn't because i hate needles and also am aware that hypos could affect my ability to drive.
However it does seem a valid choice.
Always assuming that you are not over producing insulin already, in which case I think it would make things worse not better.

The OP possibly made that decision.
However, not for me!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the clue was in the 'IF';)....

so IF you could live on the moon AND somehow NOT have to inject insulin, BUT only if you changed your DIET.

Would ya change your change diet and so you COULD. potentially, possibly in a make believe world.. never have to inject insulin again....?

No worries, @ert
i just wanted a few to consider how it would feel IF that was possible.
and what they MIGHT do.

I hear other say that T2D dx was a great thing.

NOT for me..I've made it a positive., sure
but given the choice and NOT having it

No brainer in my eyes.

Cheers for the post.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The question also works in reverse.
As a T2 would you decide to inject insulin so that you could eat (more or less) anything on the menu?
I know at least one T2 who made that decision on diagnosis.
Test BG, calculate carbs in meal, inject.

No requirement to change lifestyle apart from insulin calculations.

I wouldn't because i hate needles and also am aware that hypos could affect my ability to drive.
However it does seem a valid choice.
Always assuming that you are not over producing insulin already, in which case I think it would make things worse not better.

The OP possibly made that decision.
However, not for me!

NO.

Reactions: LittleGreyCat

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I am not happy with the statement for the majority of Type 2's for several reasons. The first being, I feel the bulk of Type 2 cases are induced by the "normal" diet (which I think is inherently abnormal); so the fix is dietary (and optionally exercise) not drugs. Proven time and again.

If it is possible to manage well via diet, why take a drug, that could go to a Type 1 (this sounds harsher than my vocabulary can smooth out).

I am not judging you on your choice, but have to disagree with the topic heading of what I see in supermarkets, basically everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.