Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

My family and I tolerate each other far better now I've given up the attempt to maintain any kind of relationship with those who have spent their time with me trying to change me. As it was purely out of a sense they're family and I have to try no matter what, and given it was an increasingly one-way process, it seemed better for my sanity to stop trying. So, um, that's essentially meant virtually no contact for the last seven years other than an occasional social media query from one or other of them. We're all very different people, with very different sets of values and priorities, which was ever thus. I have plenty of people in my life who get me, who I would call in if needed, and vice versa.

In the meantime, I'm contemplating options for the day, noted my bloods, which had been delightfully in the green zone on my spreadsheet for a good two weeks, have decided to sulk now I'm back at work. Luckily not so badly that those on the informal training I did yesterday would judge my pre-lunch number as "bad" since they are still in the basic and Foundation Learning stage of diabetes management and not ready for complex concepts such as calculating for exercise, stress, weather, odd socks etc. They are freaked out enough at the whole process.

Cake may feature.

Reactions: Diakat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My parents have always said "whoever makes you happy". Like @Marie 2, my parents accepted my bf, their english might not be top notch but they have tried to have a conversation with him but my bf's parents are like "they've been in the UK for so long, how can they not know english?" I'm always polite and not get in my bf's way with his parents. If I'm not invited along, I'm not invited. I'm not invited for christmas this year so I'm like okay, I'll go see my baby cousin Rosie. Whenever I'm there, I can feel the tense vibe so I would rather not be there. My previous therapist did say I should stop proving to people and wasting my energy to seek approval. I should be good enough for myself and only myself. Moreover I feel like it's a Romeo and Juilet situation, but we'll see how marriage goes.
In my bf's eyes, I do provide love, care and support, it might not be money and money might be helpful in our current situation but I have never ditched my bf when we face difficulties. We've always said we are in this together but I guess that's not good enough in his parent's eyes.

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, coffee and a raspberry and almond bake for brekkie with the hubby. Having a naughty day today preparing for our holiday. I’m on night shifts for 7 nights after the weekend so need to get the cases out and try on all the holiday clothes....I’ve put on weight since diagnosis

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention I had a hypo on waking, 2.8. Gargled some coke and went up to 6.5 then had breakfast. I'm reunited with coffee with caramel cheesecake flavour syrup. My bf made a cheese and salami breakfast roll, it is indeed a salty roll so I'm pestering him to drink more water. But he lovessss cheeeeese.
Would you like cheese with your wine? :)

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good moaning all. And hello to the new posters. Hey I didnt get a ban for my red knee pic ,
I had a chinese last night, just sweet and sour chicken balls and rice. Had alarms all through the night saying high. At least it was just a 13. Woke to a 6.5 so all the extra boluses worked.....

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
giphy-downsized.gif

Oh yay, I can upload gifs.
I wanted to post this when I asked if anyone panicked when the thread disappeared. :hilarious:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning all. Families! Who was it said they’re all a problem, but each in its own particular way, or words to that effect?
Mine were guaranteed to have toddler-like arguments at all the wrong times and in all the wrong places. Just four of us, all women, as my father died young. My sister and me, mother and maiden aunt. I was overjoyed when I discovered a half brother, whose family were different, interesting and fun.
When I met himindoors my mother’s response was ‘Well, he’s the best you’ve had yet’ . His parents, though, weren’t overjoyed.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a more positive note, my bf and I went to lidl yesterday and yet again, we couldn't resist the bakery. I thoroughly enjoy their low GI rolls and my bf likes their cheese rolls. We got a few sweet pastries too so a bit cheeky of us.
giphy-downsized.gif

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lovely day yesterday. But.
Adventures of a T1 granny.
At the close of an evening with friends bloods dropped to 2.9. Argh. I’d left my phone at home too, duh. A couple of jellybabies later they rose to 4.6 so since hosts were tired I went to sit in the car til bloods were fit to drive.
Ten minutes later 4.1. Two more jellybabies. Another ten minutes - 3.1. Rest of the bag, about seven or eight of the chubby glucobabbies. Fifteen minutes passed. Twenty minutes passed. Still 3.1. Broke into the stash of car carb, jellybabs that had solidified in the heat and attacked them with a pen. Slow munch, luckily they still had soft innards.
I got a teeny bit concerned that I was alone in a car at midnight on a dark street and licked the car from the inside. It went ballistic, alarms blaring, lights flashing so I probably didn’t just wake the hosts but the whole street too. Turned car on, got out, locked it, turned it on, got in again.
Still 3.1. More ancient carb.
Eventually, after a long 70 minutes of munching, testing, being antisocial, the magic of 5.6. So drove home, said hello to cat, and corrected til 2.30. Only went to 13.6.
And cursed that I’d said no to the pud made with condensed milk, and believed the cook when they said it was a true Greek moussaka!

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the close of an evening with friends bloods dropped to 2.9. Argh. I’d left my phone at home too, duh. A couple of jellybabies later they rose to 4.6 so since hosts were tired I went to sit in the car til bloods were fit to drive.
Ten minutes later 4.1. Two more jellybabies. Another ten minutes - 3.1. Rest of the bag, about seven or eight of the chubby glucobabbies. Fifteen minutes passed. Twenty minutes passed. Still 3.1. Broke into the stash of car carb, jellybabs that had solidified in the heat and attacked them with a pen. Slow munch, luckily they still had soft innards.
I got a teeny bit concerned that I was alone in a car at midnight on a dark street and licked the car from the inside. It went ballistic, alarms blaring, lights flashing so I probably didn’t just wake the hosts but the whole street too. Turned car on, got out, locked it, turned it on, got in again.
Eventually, after a long 70 minutes of munching, testing, being antisocial, the magic of 5.6. So drove home, said hello to cat, and corrected til 2.30. Only went to 13.6.
And cursed that I’d said no to the pud made with condensed milk, and believed the cook when they said it was a true Greek moussaka!
Sounds like an absolute nightmare. I'm glad you were okay in the end.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
had a chinese last night, just sweet and sour chicken balls and rice

Whoah, daring stuff, I salute you, sir!

Chinese sauces are murder, polis, to carb count for - 50, 60% sugar?

There's a Chinese buffet up the road from me - my only nod to low carbing is that I'll pitch in heavy on the grilled ribs and stick to the green curry sauce, but there's still room for the prawn toast, mini spring rolls and crackers!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh no, it’s times like those where diabetes really bites us on the bum, isn’t it? Big hugs, hope you don’t feel too wiped out today xxx

Drank a bit too much red wine last night, but slept through with no alarms - only to wake to see my Libre had drifted off during the night and even with the MiaoMiao was reading 2mmol lower than blood. So my nice smooth 6.1 was in fact 8.4 :banghead: Back in the sixes now. Considering asparagus spears and mushroom slices fried in a little butter and dipped in soft boiled duck eggs for brunch. After another pint of espresso...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oh no, it’s times like those where diabetes really bites us on the bum, isn’t it? Big hugs, hope you don’t feel too wiped out today xxx

Drank a bit too much red wine last night, but slept through with no alarms - only to wake to see my Libre had drifted off during the night and even with the MiaoMiao was reading 2mmol lower than blood. So my nice smooth 6.1 was in fact 8.4 :banghead: Back in the sixes now. Considering asparagus spears and mushroom slices fried in a little butter and dipped in soft boiled duck eggs for brunch. After another pint of espresso...
Sounds delicious! Pity it’d be such a long drive, I’d get there too late to gatecrash.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother that sounds like a pretty scary experience. Bad enough when you're at home and bg just won't go up, but int hat situation - kudos for toughing it out and getting home safely!

Not much to report here; bathroom is still going on, having a very old cottage makes everything more difficult for lots of reasons, and therefore slower - and more expensive. At least another week to go, but it'll be worth it when it's done. Leastways, it better be! Bg okay, puppy gorgeous but not getting th ehousetraining idea at all. Yet. I hope.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you everyone who sympathised with my T1 BG shenanigans last night! ❤️ It’s been a good learning experience for me, even after nearly fifty years. Always ask what the cook’s put in the food. We’ve been meeting at each other’s houses for just on fifteen years and I’ve always asked before, but begin to feel a bit embarrassed. After all this time, only two of them get a little about T1.
Celebrate when you sort it, even if you’re kicked in the proverbials by the aftereffects.
Always remember your phone.
Have carb in the car that doesn’t need a pen to dig it out.
Always remember that no two lows will behave in quite the same way.
Enjoy the green leaves while they’re still on the trees and say hello to birds, wasps, plants, cats and dogs, clouds and moss because you’re still here to see them

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you everyone who sympathised with my T1 BG shenanigans last night! ❤️ It’s been a good learning experience for me, even after nearly fifty years. Always ask what the cook’s put in the food. We’ve been meeting at each other’s houses for just on fifteen years and I’ve always asked before, but begin to feel a bit embarrassed. After all this time, only two of them get a little about T1.
Celebrate when you sort it, even if you’re kicked in the proverbials by the aftereffects.
Always remember your phone.
Have carb in the car that doesn’t need a pen to dig it out.
Always remember that no two lows will behave in quite the same way.
Enjoy the green leaves while they’re still on the trees and say hello to birds, wasps, plants, cats and dogs, clouds and moss because you’re still here to see them
I do recall gnawing on a melted lump of jelly babies in the car once!

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Continuing the naughty day, gin in Wetherspoons with haloumi fries, topped chips, tortillas and houmous....curry tonight. Split bolusing all over the place

Reactions: Marie 2