Feeling very frustrated

shellkl

Was due 3 month review today after being out on medication. Once again the appointment was cancelled. Explained that I needed to know by HBAC1 to see whether things are improving but receptionist can not give out that information. Initially offered me an appointment at the end of October which I said was no good. Can’t do a review over the phone. May be able to have a call next week.
The surgery have messed up all my diabetic care. At one point last year I went into the prediabetic levels but was not imformed of this until by 9month review - which became a 12 month review.
I got a little annoyed on the phone.
Can I go in and ask for my levels or do I need to see a nurse or GP?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sorry you are feeling so much frustration, have you written a formal letter to your practice manager requesting a copy of your blood results? That is what my GP suggested.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are in the UK you are entitled to see you test results.
I agree with the suggestion of writing a formal letter asking for a printed copy of your results.

Many practices also have online access to results, but you need to ask the practice for this. I had to put a request in writing an show them a copy of photos ID (passport or driving license). It was straightforward and the online information is very good.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry you are having such trouble. You are absolutely entitled to your results. If I was in your position I would go into the surgery ask for a print out. If they refuse ask to see the practice manager. If they aren’t available then ask for their email address and send a stern email.

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
In Scotland we have an organisation called MyWay Digital Health, a spin off company associated with Dundee University. They provide a website with all your blood test results, working with NHS Scotland. My bloods were taken last Wednesday and my lab results were posted at the weekend. I am happy with my HbA1c results but I still like to be armed in advance with the knowledge. The website also stores your results history which can be useful. I will be taking along a print of a chart to back up one of my points.
It is to be rolled out with other NHS regions, might be worth checking it out and/or lobbying for it to happen quicker.

Good luck, I know it feels like a losing battle taking on the medical people, one day they will realise the benefit of open knowledge and patients taking control of their own health. Your health is worth it.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Was due 3 month review today after being out on medication. Once again the appointment was cancelled. Explained that I needed to know by HBAC1 to see whether things are improving but receptionist can not give out that information. Initially offered me an appointment at the end of October which I said was no good. Can’t do a review over the phone. May be able to have a call next week.
The surgery have messed up all my diabetic care. At one point last year I went into the prediabetic levels but was not imformed of this until by 9month review - which became a 12 month review.
I got a little annoyed on the phone.
Can I go in and ask for my levels or do I need to see a nurse or GP?

My GP Surgery also has a policy of not giving out the results of tests without you needing to book an appointment - for which you have to wait at least 2 weeks (since it is non-urgent). The only thing that they will do, if pushed is to tell you either that your results are 'normal' or that you need to book an appointment with a GP.

I am patiently awaiting Friday 13th September - my appointment date. Thank goodness I bought a BG meter, so at least I have an idea about the Hba1c, but I have no real clue about the Lipids - however I suspected the LDL would be high due to being on LCHF and still losing weight. So I did the 2nd part of the Dave Feldman protocol to temporarily lower my LDL - I hope it worked!

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP Surgery also has a policy of not giving out the results of tests without you needing to book an appointment - for which you have to wait at least 2 weeks (since it is non-urgent). The only thing that they will do, if pushed is to tell you either that your results are 'normal' or that you need to book an appointment with a GP.
Same for me, although if I ask what my number is they will tell me.
I am patiently awaiting Friday 13th September - my appointment date. Thank goodness I bought a BG meter, so at least I have an idea about the Hba1c, but I have no real clue about the Lipids - however I suspected the LDL would be high due to being on LCHF and still losing weight. So I did the 2nd part of the Dave Feldman protocol to temporarily lower my LDL - I hope it worked!
Perhaps you could post a thread about, it as I for one, would be very interested to know if it works as it might be something I would like to try before my next blood test. Not sure if I can cope with all the calories though. Thanks.

shellkl

Managed to get a print out of results. HBAC1 is 47 down from 60 and am taking 2 metformin daily. I have all the other results which say below normal range or within so thinking it’s all good. Have arranged for a phone call from diabetic nurse next week to discuss what to do next with regards to metformin.
Just so frustrating that they don’t seem to care as been messed around so much x
Thanks for all your advice x

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Managed to get a print out of results. HBAC1 is 47 down from 60 and am taking 2 metformin daily. I have all the other results which say below normal range or within so thinking it’s all good. Have arranged for a phone call from diabetic nurse next week to discuss what to do next with regards to metformin.
Just so frustrating that they don’t seem to care as been messed around so much x

Brilliant news that you finally got your results and congratulations on a fantastic drop in HbA1c

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Perhaps you could post a thread about, it as I for one, would be very interested to know if it works as it might be something I would like to try before my next blood test. Not sure if I can cope with all the calories though. Thanks.
Hi rhyopian,
Yes, I was planning to start a thread on Lipid spoofing after I get my results.
It is a shame that I won't know my results before I walk into the meeting with the GP. So I shall have to make a plan for all the possibilities I can think of..

Meanwhile My BG numbers have changed (higher) during the 7 days since I did the protocol. However this is complicated by several factors including a new batch of test strips.
So I plan to start the/a thread early in order to run through my hypotheses as to what might be causing the new higher figures.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi rhyopian,
Yes, I was planning to start a thread on Lipid spoofing after I get my results.
It is a shame that I won't know my results before I walk into the meeting with the GP. So I shall have to make a plan for all the possibilities I can think of..

Meanwhile My BG numbers have changed (higher) during the 7 days since I did the protocol. However this is complicated by several factors including a new batch of test strips.
So I plan to start the/a thread early in order to run through my hypotheses as to what might be causing the new higher figures.
Hoping for success for you, particularly if it has meant you have taken a hit with your BG levels. Looking forward to reading the new thread.

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great that you got your printout and what a great result you have achieved. Bet there's a big smile on your face, give yourself a big hug.