What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.5on waking at 7:20am. 50 mins walk, still fasting, brought it to 9.2. An hour in the gym, still fasting, 8.4. Pre cup of coffee with cream, 7.1.

Conclusion: it would appear my BG is not amenable to lengthy fast. Going to have to try to reintroduce breakfast.

HbA1c 51. Highest it has been in years. :(

Reactions: Prem51

Deborah5832

7.5on waking at 7:20am. 50 mins walk, still fasting, brought it to 9.2. An hour in the gym, still fasting, 8.4. Pre cup of coffee with cream, 7.1.

Conclusion: it would appear my BG is not amenable to lengthy fast. Going to have to try to reintroduce breakfast.

Very keen to know if eating breakfast helps.

Barba_Rossa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 for me this morning. A little higher than I usually see, can’t think why other than potentially a particularly late dinner.

Reactions: karen8967

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Mine doesn't respond to missing breakfast ..keeps rising till I eat something ...crazy isn't it .

Reactions: Barba_Rossa

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well @mojo37 and @Deborah5832 , I think perhaps I will shift my eating window. I really don’t feel like eating early in the day, but perhaps it would solve my problem. I have tried coffee with cream, first thing in morning, but that makes no difference to when I don’t break fast until afternoon.
This morning, despite not eating since 19:30pm last night when I had grilled salmon, mushrooms in garlic butter and sliced green beans, my fasting level today was 8.7 at 7:45am. For breakfast I ate a couple of spoons of full fat yogurt with 6 walnut halves and a cup of black coffee. Two hours later and having had another black coffee and had walked a lot, reading was 6.4.

Going to have 8 hour eating window 9:00 until 17:00 for a week or two to see if that makes a difference.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well @mojo37 and @Deborah5832 , I think perhaps I will shift my eating window. I really don’t feel like eating early in the day, but perhaps it would solve my problem. I have tried coffee with cream, first thing in morning, but that makes no difference to when I don’t break fast until afternoon.
This morning, despite not eating since 19:30pm last night when I had grilled salmon, mushrooms in garlic butter and sliced green beans, my fasting level today was 8.7 at 7:45am. For breakfast I ate a couple of spoons of full fat yogurt with 6 walnut halves and a cup of black coffee. Two hours later and having had another black coffee and had walked a lot, reading was 6.4.

Going to have 8 hour eating window 9:00 until 17:00 for a week or two to see if that makes a difference.

It is all trial and error ( I make plenty of the latter ) I ve tried walking for 1/2 before breakfast but that increases my bg ..not by much but still an increase. I am struggling with reducing my carbs some days more than others. When I say reducing they are greatly reduced on what I would eat "normally" .

Reactions: JohnEGreen

CCFCfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes diets. Getting old.
It is all trial and error ( I make plenty of the latter ) I ve tried walking for 1/2 before breakfast but that increases my bg ..not by much but still an increase. I am struggling with reducing my carbs some days more than others. When I say reducing they are greatly reduced on what I would eat "normally" .

CCFCfan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes diets. Getting old.
Hi All , My first post and as a "silver surfer" hope its going to work. Interesting stuff as my readings follow those of Pipp below. Despite a sensible evening meal and no snacking my wake-up reading was 8.8. A bowl of porridge with blueberries followed by a game of golf and down to 6.4. My diabetes nurse advises no late evening meals which might be the culprit.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All , My first post and as a "silver surfer" hope its going to work. Interesting stuff as my readings follow those of Pipp below. Despite a sensible evening meal and no snacking my wake-up reading was 8.8. A bowl of porridge with blueberries followed by a game of golf and down to 6.4. My diabetes nurse advises no late evening meals which might be the culprit.
Hello, @CCFCfan . Welcome. Is that Cardiff City? Coventry City? Or am I with the wrong sport?

How soon after waking did you eat breakfast? I have been thinking that I need to eat immediately after waking to stop the rise in BG numbers.

As you are new here, I am attaching the recommended info for new members, just in case you hadn’t already seen it. Sorry if it is stating the obvious, but have a read, and do join in conversations in threads. Or even start your own.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

I also have other info in my signature. (Which I really must check for relevance, as it is a while since I did).

Reactions: Prem51