HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi
Actually I'm not happy. My neighbor, a little girl today she told me the bad news. she got diabetic. That was surprise. Her life it so hard she is 8 years old and she is very poor girl. What can I do for she if you have any idea please give me your opinion. I think the worse thing is that her family are not very educated
How are they can give she help they have no idea about diabetic .

And thanks all my love.

Last edited:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Is she type 1 or type 2?
Hi
Thanks for asking.
In fact I don't know also she didn't know that because she just doing BS testing. How can she know the type but my opinion maybe she have type 1 I'm not sure that only is common among the children isn't ?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Most 8 year olds have T1, though T2 is not unknown, particularly if they are obese.
In which case she'll need both insulin and blood testing equipment.... Few parents know anything about diabetes when their child is first diagnosed.
But I guess it all depends on what the public health care is like in your area? Hopefully the doctors will educate her parents????

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
Actually I'm not happy. My neighbor, a little girl today she told me the bad news. she got diabetic. That was surprise. Her life it so hard she is 8 years old and she is very poor girl. What can I do for she if you have any idea please give me your opinion. I think the worse thing is that her family are not very educated
How are they can give she help they have no idea about diabetic .

And thanks all my love.

Oh, am sorry to read this.
Can you tell us what health care is available to her and her family?
I am afraid I do not know how the healthcare system works in Morroco.

Are her parents going to have to buy her insulin?

Would you feel comfortable offering to go with her parents to appointments? So that you can make notes on what the doctor says?

And when you say 'they are not very educated' do you mean that they are unable to read and write? Or that they do not have access to a computer? Or that they will not understand what the doctor says?

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Oh, am sorry to read this.
Can you tell us what health care is available to her and her family?
I am afraid I do not know how the healthcare system works in Morroco.

Are her parents going to have to buy her insulin?

Would you feel comfortable offering to go with her parents to appointments? So that you can make notes on what the doctor says?

And when you say 'they are not very educated' do you mean that they are unable to read and write? Or that they do not have access to a computer? Or that they will not understand what the doctor says?
Hi
I think she didn't took any meds or insulin yet. Although her level BS up to 12 mmol.
Her parents not educated. They can't read or write and one more thing that not important her mother widowed and she just a housewife that bad thing for she. I will do all my best. But how ?

Last edited:

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They can't read or write and one more thing that not important her mother widowed and she just a housewife that bad thing for she. I will do all my best. But how ?
You can only help as much as the mother agrees, talk to the mum, ask if she wants your help. Let her know you will be around if she has questions or wants advice. You can offer to attend appointments with them, if it suits you, to help with reading/writing and understanding the doctor. It’s always helpful to have two pairs of ears when getting distressing information at the doctor.
Edit: Also if she has any paperwork or forms that need filling you could assist. Also the school will probably want something in writing about special requirements and risks for a type 1 student.

Reactions: Goonergal

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, you are a very considerate and kind person, I'd love to have you around as my own neighbour!
I guess the family of the little girl must be receiving some sort of help by the social services… Why not reaching out to the social workers who take care of the family, offer your help and ask them how you can best be of use? Perhaps (I don't know anything about your community so I'm really guessing…) you could contact the parson or some religious or charity organization which could help smooth out somehow the little girl's difficult road…
Fndwheelie's advice is fine: the school will need information, for sure, as diabetes in children is challenging and very little known. I found useful material on the site 'Beyond Type 1', perhaps you might help the mother make sure that all the school staff know what the girl needs and what to do in an emergency. Are there any T1 association in or near your community? If so you could contact them and ask their advice as to how to support the family…
I am supposing the girl is T1 because it's the most challenging condition (hypos, insulin, BS checks, timing and mode of injections and so much more of the sort). If the girl is actually T2, her condition may involve less practical problems, but help will still be most welcome!

Reactions: HICHAM_T2

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
It is highly unlikely she has type 2 unless she is obese because of her age, so in regards to insulin therapy then her doctors will offer her suitable advise on managing her insulin injections, regardless of her mum' s literacy skills she will learn to adapt and find a way to help her manage her diabetes, please note though that type 1 treatment and diet is different to type 2 so please approach this situation with caution. If her mum needs help with interpreting the doctors advice then it would be very useful to help her on this.

I can only anticipate her mum is experiencing many emotions with this diagnosis so also lending an ear when she needs to off load her emotions would be a great support.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
You can only help as much as the mother agrees, talk to the mum, ask if she wants your help. Let her know you will be around if she has questions or wants advice. You can offer to attend appointments with them, if it suits you, to help with reading/writing and understanding the doctor. It’s always helpful to have two pairs of ears when getting distressing information at the doctor.
Edit: Also if she has any paperwork or forms that need filling you could assist. Also the school will probably want something in writing about special requirements and risks for a type 1 student.
Hi
I will I promise, but let me tell you bad something she also leave her school last year I didn't know if she will begin her education or not .

Last edited:

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi, you are a very considerate and kind person, I'd love to have you around as my own neighbour!
I guess the family of the little girl must be receiving some sort of help by the social services… Why not reaching out to the social workers who take care of the family, offer your help and ask them how you can best be of use? Perhaps (I don't know anything about your community so I'm really guessing…) you could contact the parson or some religious or charity organization which could help smooth out somehow the little girl's difficult road…
Fndwheelie's advice is fine: the school will need information, for sure, as diabetes in children is challenging and very little known. I found useful material on the site 'Beyond Type 1', perhaps you might help the mother make sure that all the school staff know what the girl needs and what to do in an emergency. Are there any T1 association in or near your community? If so you could contact them and ask their advice as to how to support the family…
I am supposing the girl is T1 because it's the most challenging condition (hypos, insulin, BS checks, timing and mode of injections and so much more of the sort). If the girl is actually T2, her condition may involve less practical problems, but help will still be most welcome!
Thank you me too need some neighbors like you have a nice day I will ask her grandfather my experience I promise