What are alternative treatments for diabetes?

Robert81

Message from the Mod Team:

Hi Everyone,

The content of this post has been removed for plagiarism (presenting someone else's work or ideas as your own, with or without their consent, by incorporating it into your work without full acknowledgement. All published and unpublished material, whether in manuscript, printed or electronic form, is covered under this definition. https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/academic/guidance/skills/plagiarism?wssl=1)

If you wish to read the texts that were plagiarised, you can do so here:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...tes/in-depth/diabetes-prevention/art-20047639
https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes-alternative-treatments
(and thank you to @ziggy_w for finding the links, in #20)

We ask anyone who is making any statements or claims that is not their own work, or who may be citing scientific theories or research, to provide references to support their points. Sometimes this is difficult, but please try, or acknowledge where you heard or saw the information. Cutting and pasting someone else's work and passing it off as your own is not acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whole grain and fruit... Yeah, that spikes bloodsugars honey. Sorry. :( If you really want to know what foods spike blood sugars and which don't: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , dietdoctor.com and this forum's website diabetes.co.uk will help you along. You're on the right track for the most part, but grains and fruits are, basically, not good for any of us. (Save for maybe a few berries, starfruit and tomatoes.)

Reactions: JAT1

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Legumes, wholegrains and fruits... Cholesterol...

Yours was a fair length of a post for a message that promotes the exclusion of animal sourced foodstuffs, foodstuffs that helped me on the way to Type 2 Diabetes Remission. Veganism or WFPB has not been definitively shown to do this. Eating animal sourced foods (ASF) did not turn me into a Diabetic and imo would not aid in my endeavour to ameliorate the condition. Thanks but no thanks.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And do you have T2 yourself @Robert81 ? Or are you just telling us what you have been told by some misinformed person or organisation?

I agree prevention is important. It is a pity that the medical profession doesn't test for insulin levels when they are faced with an obese patient. High insulin levels often precede T2 diagnosis by decades yet the patient doesn't know anything about it and therefore doesn't know that they should be reducing their intake of carbs including fruit and grains...which you are saying are healthy foods for a T2. They aren't.

Last edited:
Reactions: DawnOfTheZed
M

Member496333

Hmm. Eat as much glucose, oxalate and lectins as possible. All this sounds suspiciously like the usual advice parroted to everyone, and it doesn't appear to be working out too well so far.

Speaking only for myself, I think I'll stick with the diet that killed my diabetes, rather than revert to the exact same one that caused it, but each to their own :nurse:

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Credit where credit is due.... the advice that supplements can interact with medicines is sound and so to the recommendation to speak to your doctor before starting any new treatment is also good. The rest appears to be opinion backed by???

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
According to an article in the journal Diabetes Care, twice as many nonvegetarians are diagnosed with diabetes compared with vegetarians and vegans.

In 2018 the estimated numbers of vegetarians in the UK was 11% of the population. So with non vegetarians outnumbering vegetarians by around 9 to 1 this article seems to indicate that a plant based diet is more likely to result in a diagnosis of T2

Reactions: jjraak

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
In 2018 the estimated numbers of vegetarians in the UK was 11% of the population. So with non vegetarians outnumbering vegetarians by around 9 to 1 this article seems to indicate that a plant based diet is more likely to result in a diagnosis of T2
I have read that the percentage of vegans in the UK is 1.16%. So of the 65+ million population it follows that the number of T2Ds in vegans is higher than that of non vegans. I don't do maths, relying on members to correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not expecting the OP to come back to answer our questions. We have had a few like him who aren't living with T2 themselves lecturing us on what we should do to treat a condition which many of us have been doing successfully for years.

Reactions: pcs63 and Guzzler

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have to agree.
Though I do believe the intended inference was that meat eaters would get diabetes more readily then non meat eaters...

So it's back to those pesky statistics..
When the ratio of one element is so low, is just stupid to infer anything from it.. It's like saying that because I live in a particular post code v the rest of the world I'm at less risk of type 2 ...lol.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I am not expecting the OP to come back to answer our questions. We have had a few like him who aren't living with T2 themselves lecturing us on what we should do to treat a condition which many of us have been doing successfully for years.

Well, we've seen these posts how many times?

I think the OP is welcome to stick around and learn a thing or two. The amount of people here who have successfully managed and or reversed (Whatever you wanna call it) their T2 could well educate this person on how to better manage the condition.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Have to agree.
Though I do believe the intended inference was that meat eaters would get diabetes more readily then non meat eaters...

So it's back to those pesky statistics..
When the ratio of one element is so low, is just stupid to infer anything from it.. It's like saying that because I live in a particular post code v the rest of the world I'm at less risk of type 2 ...lol.

Well, that sounds very much like the Qrisk tool for GP;s to asses if a person should be on statins or not. Post code plays a role. Had to believe that such a ridiculous method would be used, but there you have it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I just think it's a bit presumptuous to join a forum for those with Diabetes (and post in Alternative Treatments which tells me that this post is aimed at those with Pre D and T2) on ways to avoid Pre D and T2. It smacks of really not having perused the forum or site one whit.

To the OP, did you think I was just sat twiddling my thumbs and complaining of my worsening condition whilst waiting for you or someone like you to come and tell me what I was/am doing wrong?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So is it 3.5 million or 600,000? Maybe the first figure includes those 4 to 1 ex vegans. But (and here's where I am getting confused) if there are said to be 4 million of us with T2 (arguably a vast underestimate imo) and there are 3.5 million vegans how do those numbers break down?

It's early on a Sunday morning and now I have a 'eadache.

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just think it's a bit presumptuous to join a forum for those with Diabetes (and post in Alternative Treatments which tells me that this post is aimed at those with Pre D and T2) on ways to avoid Pre D and T2. It smacks of really not having perused the forum or site one whit.

To the OP, did you think I was just sat twiddling my thumbs and complaining of my worsening condition whilst waiting for you or someone like you to come and tell me what I was/am doing wrong?

Was a rather presumptuous first post.

Rather like joining a slimmer's web site, and your first post is to give them the cure for over eating
..."big thick mittens"...:hilarious:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So is it 3.5 million or 600,000? Maybe the first figure includes those 4 to 1 ex vegans. But (and here's where I am getting confused) if there are said to be 4 million of us with T2 (arguably a vast underestimate imo) and there are 3.5 million vegans how do those numbers break down?

It's early on a Sunday morning and now I have a 'eadache.

No idea..I just gave the link as reference
Perhaps the two figures differ purely on being honest.
My guess is most want to be seen in a certain light.. So go compare we fib and forget the sausage rolls, meals out etc

On the vegan sure, sure more likely to get called out, so a touch more truthful... Who knows

And it's also a Sunday here. So far too early for mathematical gymnastics...lol.

Hope headache eases.. Have a nice day.:)

Reactions: zand and Guzzler

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only