How many carbs per day should you be having in a low carb diet

SamD1994

I'm curious about trying a low carb diet but I have them with every meal and because I go to the gym and trying to bulk up they are essential.

Main reason I want to try is the health benefits people have experienced

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb fewer than 130g
Ketogenic prob fewer than 20g
I try to aim for fewer than 10g

Carbs really aren't essential for bulking up protein far more important.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You fail to say what type of diabetes you have if any.
Phil Graham is worth a google search, especially if you’re T1.
Someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm curious about trying a low carb diet but I have them with every meal and because I go to the gym and trying to bulk up they are essential.

Main reason I want to try is the health benefits people have experienced

Different members can manage different amounts of carbs, I will tag @Daphne917
Are you on medication for diabetes, also can I ask what type you are ?

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
You fail to say what type of diabetes you have if any.
Phil Graham is worth a google search, especially if you’re T1.
Someone who actually knows what he is talking about.

Ah, you just pipped me at the post.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at his other posts Sam is a 25 year old T1.

Not quite sure what that has to with how many carbs are "low carb" or whether they are necessary for bulking but hey I'm sure you guys know best...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SamD1994 - Obviously as a T1, you usually have quite a bit of flexibility, in thers of how you eat (provided you bolus accordingly), however, having expressed a desire to explore a lower carb diet, I would just like to post a couple of things to consider.

Firstly, if you intend to alter your diet a fair amount, please ensure you test a lot, to ensure your bloods remain in safe ranges. As you might expect, lower carb consumption can lead to less insulin use, but it can also lead to lower blood sugars; particularly whilst your body gets used to things and whilst you get used to dosing differently.

Secondly, if you are considering a step change to your diet, it could be worthwhile considering a steady, may some might think, slower approach, as some folks have found their eyes can be impacted adversely, usually in the shorter term. As you have already had a skirmish with the Opthalmology chaps, you'd likely want to limit putting yourself under to much strain.

If I recall correctly, @Mel dCP reduced her carbs a lot and has had great outcomes, but I also think she might have had something show up on a routine retinopathy screening, before it resolved itself.

Mal, I do apologise if I misremember about your eyes, but I feel certain your other health outcomes from reducing your carbs were excellent.

M

Member496333

As many or as few as you wish. Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Exogenous carbohydrate in itself is not required to support human life. You can consume zero grams so long as the diet works for you and is rich in micronutrients. Adequate circulating insulin may be a factor if trying to build lean mass, so ludicrously low carbohydrate in the diet could potentially be a concern if that is your goal.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would go for the lowest you can. This practically means if you focus on fat and protein real foods as the base, then adding for example 2 or 3 broccoli florets, 4 raspberries. I would then either add or subtract to satisfaction and or to meet goals. I would avoid processed carbs, they taste nice and that is it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
If I recall correctly, @Mel dCP reduced her carbs a lot and has had great outcomes, but I also think she might have had something show up on a routine retinopathy screening, before it resolved itself.

Mal, I do apologise if I misremember about your eyes, but I feel certain your other health outcomes from reducing your carbs were excellent.
I did - and the background retinopathy I’d had for years got ever so slightly worse with a recall for a further look into a bit of maculopathy and worsened retinopathy. By the time the enhanced screen came around a couple of months later, there was no sign of any damage at all. We think it was because my HbA1c fell so quickly, but it was frightening at the time.

Keto has been wonderful for my levels in conjunction with the tech I use; I’ve put on loads of weight though, so it’s not been 100% brilliant. And it’s an expensive way to eat.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Different members can manage different amounts of carbs, I will tag @Daphne917
Are you on medication for diabetes, also can I ask what type you are ?
Hi @SamD1994 not sure if it’s any help as I am T2 diet only and you are T1 but, as @Robinredbreast has said, I tend to eat between 100 - 130g carbs per day which is the high end of low carb and have maintained a non diabetic hba1c for approx 6 years.

Reactions: mojo37

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did - and the background retinopathy I’d had for years got ever so slightly worse with a recall for a further look into a bit of maculopathy and worsened retinopathy. By the time the enhanced screen came around a couple of months later, there was no sign of any damage at all. We think it was because my HbA1c fell so quickly, but it was frightening at the time.

Keto has been wonderful for my levels in conjunction with the tech I use; I’ve put on loads of weight though, so it’s not been 100% brilliant. And it’s an expensive way to eat.

How does keto put on weight? I have found that eating low carb has had me lose weight I didn’t want to lose. To what foods would you attribute the weight gain?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How does keto put on weight? I have found that eating low carb has had me lose weight I didn’t want to lose. To what foods would you attribute the weight gain?
Presumably because I was eating more calories than I burn. To many avocados, I suspect!

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Presumably because I was eating more calories than I burn. To many avocados, I suspect!

I love avocados. I usually each at least one a day (can get a bit expensive). What other “healthy” fats are easy to add to help gain weight?

I eat lots of nuts (walnuts, almonds), olives, EVOO on veggies and salad. Fatty fish (sardines, salmon, herring). I am not a big fan of butter.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love avocados. I usually each at least one a day (can get a bit expensive). What other “healthy” fats are easy to add to help gain weight?

I eat lots of nuts (walnuts, almonds), olives, EVOO on veggies and salad. Fatty fish (sardines, salmon, herring). I am not a big fan of butter.
Steak? About 75% fat by calories..

Sapien

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Steak? About 75% fat by calories..
I do like steak but getting good quality grass-fed meat is a bit of a challenge and expensive where I live.

Do you eat primarily muscle meat or nose-to-tail?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do like steak but getting good quality grass-fed meat is a bit of a challenge and expensive where I live.

Do you eat primarily muscle meat or nose-to-tail?
Mainly muscle with some liver and kidney on occasion.. fish eggs odd berries and chocolate.
You're in the US? I can't quite remember..

SamD1994

Hi sorry this is late, app hasn't been working for me.

I'm currently receiving eye injections due to hemorrhage I had caused by maculopathy in my right eye. I'm 4 out if 5 injections in and had laser but have speckles in my vision when I look at at the sky or blank surface, and read a low carb diet or carnivore diet has amazing benefits of cleaning up all sorts of health issues including eye floaters , so wanted to try it :)
@SamD1994 can you elaborate on what you mean by “health benefits”.
Do you have any issues you want to tackle?
Do you struggle with any aspects of your diabetes management?

I ask because I exercise a lot (I am at the gym 6 days out of 7) , do not eat low carb and all health checks show me to be healthier than average for my age.